Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Bah Humbug

Browneyedgirl29

• Members
Browneyedgirl29

Anyone else not feeling the Christmas spirit this year? I don't know how to deal with this. It's been 3 months and I still struggle to just "care" about much of anything. Everything just makes me numb...

• Members

My sister died the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  Her memorial was last Saturday.  It was an overdose. She was only 33 yrs old.  I'm so angry.  I wanna yell at her, I wanna shake her and tell her she's so stupid.  I want to hug her and tell her I love her so much.  I don't know what to do.  I don't show emotion very well everyone at work thinks I'm tough my boyfriend thinks I'm cold.  Christmas has been canceled.

• Members

I would have loved nothing more than to have skipped from November 1st to March 1st. Passing all of the holidays. My sister passed away on February 15, 2017 (my 25th wedding anniversary). My heart actually aches and I’m crying constant. I try to put on a brave face and I’m sure all my friends are tired of consoling me. I just can’t embrace the holidays. I’m so profoundly sad. I know the first of everything is hard, but how will I ever be able to celebrate my wedding anniversary with my husband?

• Members

Dear Browneyedgirl,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think its only natural not to feel the Christmas spirit so soon after a devastating loss. Be kind to yourself. And do what you feel is right for you. That is all anyone can do during these difficult times.

Dear Jen,

There is no wrong way or right way to grieve. Please know that what you are feeling is okay. I'm so sorry for your pain and sorrow.

Dear LittleM,

I hear you. It is hard to embrace the holidays after a loss of a cherished family member. I'm so sorry that your sister passed on your wedding anniversary. It will be hard. People keep telling me that more time will make the difference. I hope its true.

Thinking of you. Sending my thoughts and prayers.

• Members
Browneyedgirl29

@LittleM, I won't say I know exactly how you feel,  but I sympathize. My brother passed two days after my birthday. I've said I'll never celebrate again. And I don't plan to. I agree about skipping everything. It'd be so easy to just cancel holidays if not for the children in the family. Christmas was just another day for me. I was irritable and depressed. I'm just glad it's over. Unfortunately,  all of the holidays throughout the year hold memories of him for me. Easter. Fathers day,  mothers day; we even started a "tradition" of meeting up at his house to watch him shoot off fireworks on the 4th of July, we've done this for the past 3 or 4 years. That won't happen this year. Then his birthday follows, then we're right back at the holidays. I don't know if it'll ever get tolerable. 

Archived