Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

a life without my parents at only 29

Dexyc88

• Members

I lost my mam one week after my 21st birthday. I was heartbroken we were so close and I'm the youngest of 6 siblings. she died very suddenly and I was with her when she died. ive never seen anyone die before that. i still had my dad who was just as lost a me. 7 years went by and although we were sad we manage to move on together. my older brother died suddenly on 5th Jan '17. I was shocked and very emotional. my dad was heartbroken again. this year has been hard but I thought times would get better. but on 16th Dec my dad took an overdose and after 2 days on life support his heart gave out. he died on 18th. I whole world has fallen apart. I'm only 29. I'm parentless. my whole life I had my parents to rely on and now I'm all alone. my other siblings live all over and I don't see them often. I feel so lost and don't know how to cope. I know once his funeral has past my life will be a lonely one. I have suffered depression before and I don't want to sink down that dark hole again :-(

• Members

Dear Dexyc88,

I'm very sorry for your loss. I know the pain and sorrow is deep. You have already been through so much. Please know you are not alone and we are all here for you.

During this difficult time I hope you will seek out additional supports. Maybe grief counselling or joining a support group.  It is a lonely time, but hopefully friends and family will be checking in.

Thinking of you. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

Dexyc88,

I am so very sorry for your losses. This sounds like a very traumatic experience and, like reader suggested, seeking out a grief counselor may be a good option, especially since you're going through all this at such a young age. A support group may also be beneficial so you don't feel alone, to help you by relating to others who've experienced similar losses.

I can't say I know exactly how you feel, because in all reality we all experience grief and loss differently. I can say, however, that I have dealt with the similar experience of being without parents at a young age. I'm 18 and lost my parents just this past October and November. I know it's unbearably painful to suddenly realize that you can no longer turn to the two people who raised you your whole life. It's a very tough thing to come to terms with, but if you ever need to talk to someone about it, or just a shoulder to cry on, don't hesitate to message me. I'm going through something similar and can relate to you on at least some level when it comes to no longer having parents in your life, so hopefully I can make you feel more comfortable.

I'm sorry to hear that, on top of that, you're grieving for the loss of your brother, and that your other siblings aren't in close reach. I do hope that you all keep in contact and can still get at least some form of emotional support from each other. Do you have any other family members or close friends to call on during this difficult time? This is a lot for one person to go through, and I hope you have a good support system and help.

Archived