Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I miss my parents who died a month apart

Ash

• Members

Well I don't have anyone else to let it out to at this time, so I think I'm gonna post it here. 

It all happened way too fast. My mom was ill for a long time, with pulmonary fibrosis and pulmonary hypertension. She passed away on October 11th this year in the hospital due to respiratory failure. Even though I knew it was bound to happen, it was way too fast and unexpected, especially since my dad decided to make a quick decision to take her off life support. A week or so after, my family decided that my dad should go into Hospice since he was terminally ill with esophageal cancer (diagnosed in May). Not only that, but he was also going downhill and lost his will to live 'cause of his grief for Mom, and I could barely manage to take care of him anymore. He passed away on November 6th. I was both their caretakers for quite awhile.

Here I am going through this at only 18 years old during my first semester of college. I feel lost and I don't know what to do, life feels purposeless.

• Members

Dear Ash,

I'm so sorry because I have no idea what to say to you.  I can't believe you are 18 and gone through this!  You have a long life ahead of you but what you have been through is deeply traumatic and you will need a lot of help.  Please consider talking to a grief therapist.  it is too much to process and I would worry that being so young and not having help you could spiral downwards and go down a dark path in life.  I'm so very sorry for your losses.  Please seek a group or individual therapy to support you through this. Do you have brothers, sisters? family members you are close to?  I hope so.

• Members

Dear Ash,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of both your parents in such a short time. I know the pain and sorrow is unbearable right now. Please know you are not alone. We are all here to listen and support you in anyway we can.

It is a terrible shock and so much for a young person to go through. Like sadandlost suggested, I hope you will consider talking to a grief counsellor or joining a support group. And lean on friends and family if you can.

Thinking of you. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

• Members
16 hours ago, sadandlost said:

Dear Ash,

I'm so sorry because I have no idea what to say to you.  I can't believe you are 18 and gone through this!  You have a long life ahead of you but what you have been through is deeply traumatic and you will need a lot of help.  Please consider talking to a grief therapist.  it is too much to process and I would worry that being so young and not having help you could spiral downwards and go down a dark path in life.  I'm so very sorry for your losses.  Please seek a group or individual therapy to support you through this. Do you have brothers, sisters? family members you are close to?  I hope so.

Thank you very much for your suggestion and concern. I have been talking to a grief counselor for help about once a week, and I have a sibling but him and I have never gotten along, making the loss more difficult to deal with. I have other family members who check up on me frequently, and help out with the house because I live alone now. 

• Members
8 hours ago, reader said:

Dear Ash,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of both your parents in such a short time. I know the pain and sorrow is unbearable right now. Please know you are not alone. We are all here to listen and support you in anyway we can.

It is a terrible shock and so much for a young person to go through. Like sadandlost suggested, I hope you will consider talking to a grief counsellor or joining a support group. And lean on friends and family if you can.

Thinking of you. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you very much for the concern. I have already been seeing a grief counselor and have a few family members who check in with me, but I mainly seek my godfather out for emotional support. 

• Members

Dear Ash,

Thank you for telling us more. I'm glad you have your godfather for emotional support. It is a lot better to have someone to talk to and lean on when you need. And if you feel like talking things out, please know we are all here for you too.

Take care of yourself the best you can. Please know any thoughts and feelings you have during this difficult time is completely normal and natural. Grief is a horrible journey that none of us ever want to experience.

Sending you hugs.

Archived