Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My elderly dog

Jill1983

• Members

New poster here..

I am struggling with the best way to deal with my beloved dog.  he is getting older and arthritic and medications are not helping.  I know the time is coming but I don't know how to make the choice to say goodbye.  I am crying just writing this.  I don't want to be selfish and make him suffer.  He is the sweetest little boy and he has set up camp in my heart.   I am bringing him to the vet tomorrow because he has been sick all day today.  I am scared they are going to tell me it's his time to say goodbye.  

• Moderators

I'm sorry, I know this is hard.  I think you know the answer, it's just hard to face.  I always made the decision based up their quality of life vs the pain and suffering. The last dog I had to have put to sleep, she used to smile all the time...she hadn't smiled for a couple of years.  She was arthritic also, and when she started whimpering in her sleep I decided it was time.  I felt bad, I knew she could have lived a little longer but at what price?  I wanted to do what was best for her, not me.  I would always want to keep her a little longer, but she deserved to be  free of suffering.

You're in my thoughts and prayers today as you take him to the vet.

• Members

i am so sorry you find yourself at this moment. I hope it goes well at the vet but if you decide the time is now, whatever you do, do not feel guilty! No matter when you have to take that step, you are always doing your best for your dog at the moment. It is not easy. 

Archived