Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my brother and recently my father

julupabrown

• Members

I recently lost my father in October and it's been really hard. He had a heart attack and it was very unexpected because he was only 54 years old, I'm only 28, and I thought my dad was going to be with me for at least 20 years. We were extremely close and talked all the time. I find myself feeling isolated but hiding it from friends and family. I am not sure how to go about feeling full and happy again. My father was a single parent and raised my brother and I. He worked so hard for everything he had and I just can't understand why he won't be able to enjoy it. Nine years ago we lost my brother in Afghanistan, he took he's own life, so we have seen our fair share of sadness and I thought that his death would be the hardest thing I would have to deal with. 

I have a great partner and he has been attempting to make me feel better but just isn't getting it. How do I feel better? I feel like i'm carrying around an immense amount of grief and it can be overwhelming at times. I just feel like I am on this isolated Island now that my brother and my father are gone, most of my memories as a child involve the three of us.

Archived