Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Helping a friend

KarenBnP

• Members

Hello all, I send blessings

I am hoping to find some help for my dear friend who, last year, lost her only child. She has gone to a few support groups and ended up stopping due to her feeling they were not right for her. She also saw a psychologist or psychiatrist (not sure which) but found the person and her did not relate and left with a bad taste about that.

I have recently reconnected with her and in talking with her, and being the holidays, she is feeling overwhelmed and saddened. I have encouraged her to try again a therapist, either type. She is willing, but is having a hard time trying to find one she feels comfortable with. She would prefer a female, but is open to male. she has looked at reviews online and is getting discouraged that she can find a good fit for her. She is a strong person and like myself is somewhat old-school. She is in her mid 50's. She lives near the Oklahoma City area.

what im hoping is to help her find recommendations for a therapist near her. But she is getting frustrated and wanting to stop trying so I offered to try and do some leg work for her. She is willing to do over the phone therapy, but I think in person at least to start off might be good for her. She is also willing to drive a ways, within reason, to find the right therapist for her. If anyone has a recommendation, or an area for me or her to look for help I would so appreciate it.

I am visiting her this holiday season, we are reconnecting after a long absence and I want to try and be a true friend and help her not just give her platatudes, but do any and everything I can to help her at her time of need.

thank you kindly all, and again, I send blessing to each and every one.

I think I posted the original in the wrong section of help, I apologize and ask that if needs be a moderator can delete that original thread.

• Members

karen bnp what a generous friend you are to find help for your grieving friend. i do not have any recommendations but you could suggest she joins us here on the loss of n adult child thread where she can get some support from other bereaved parents until she finds a suitable counsellor. it does take time to find someone you connect with and feel comfortable with before you trust enough to open up. i wish you luck in your search

• Members

Thank you Tommy's Mum for your kind words. I have given my friend my log-on info so she can better explain/edit my initial post if she needs, or perhaps create her own log on/account. I would say I am not any more generous a friend than anyone here who has dealt with loss and is suffering and gives advice, listens to and encourages those who seek understanding and recognition.

I send you care and thoughts across the miles

• Members

sometimes just joining and reading posts is helpful even if she is not ready to share yet. You recognise some of those feelings, thoughts, or actions and realise you are not alone or crazy and that is a relief. There is sometimes helpful advice or suggestions and perhaps she may find someone she really connects with who has lost a child in similar circumstances and who is willing to email privately. It is difficult to ask for help which is why some people just read the posts until they feel strong enough to tell their story because that communication is enough not to feel alone. That is why this forum was set up to bring together bereaved parents and form friendships online so you don't have to leave your house or meet people face to face sharing only what you want to. I hope she finds us, thanks for offering her this help.

Archived