Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

One Year Later - I'm still here

Francine

• Members
I stayed up really late last night, maybe subconsciously to avoid waking up to today. One year ago today, I lost my Charles. I hate that sentence. I hate the part before the comma and I certainly hate the part after the comma. I hate today. I hate the memories of a year ago today.

As I slept,  I reached for his hand, and it wasn’t there to hold. That startled me awake. It perfectly summarizes the beginning of year two though. The start of the second year has also caused me to pause and reflect back on my first year as a widow. (I hate that word also) I needed to identify any progress I made in order to figure out how I am going to deal with my sophomore year in grief. So here it is boiled down to ten things I learned in my first year as a widow.
  1. Survival is possible.  -  The first days and weeks after losing my Charles I wasn’t sure how I’d survive, or if I even wanted to. Losing him literally crumbled my foundation and the pain was unbearable at times. I look back now and see that although it wasn’t pretty, it serves as proof that I can do hard things. I got through it; mostly because I HAD to, not because of some phenomenal strength of character. But nevertheless, I survived.
  1. My Inner Circle has changed.  -  I really struggled with disappointment and hurt over the loss of what I thought I somehow deserved from friends. When they fell short, I felt abandoned. I’m looking back today with a little more “extra grace.” Instead of clinging to hurt, I’m recognizing with gratitude the new people that have emerged in my life. The people who are genuinely concerned about me…the people who are sincerely praying for me and selflessly wrapping me in their love, support and friendship have risen to the top like rich cream. So instead of dwelling in the hurt of relationships lost, I’m focusing on the new, beautiful people God has put on my path. I’m getting better at letting go of hurt, disappointment and negativity. I’m trying to be less selfish about the shake-up of my inner circle.
  1. The pain doesn’t lessen.  -  Although it’s true that maybe I cry softer and maybe even less frequently, the pain hasn’t really lessened. In many ways, it’s intensified. It’s not gone, just changed. There’s been a little bit of getting used to pain in this first year, although my heart is far from cold blooded.  My wound still bleeds, but there aren’t as many new cuts.
  1. I will never be the same person again.  -  At the one-year mark, I’ve realized the old me is gone. She died with Charles.  In her place there is emerging a new, changed person that is being discovered. She’s slightly familiar but not quite the fully recognizable me from the past. Year two is going to be about finding her and giving her what she needs.
  1. I miss him more now.   -  In many ways, I miss my Charles more today than I did early on. Looking in the face of year two, I see more reality than year one revealed. I see a long road ahead without him. This new truth is a very lonely one. I guess year one knew I couldn’t handle all of the revelations at once so it saved plenty for year two.
  1. Memories fade. -  I was afraid this would happen, but it’s still so difficult. I still talk to Charles, still have conversations with my children about their dad and grandchildren about him, and yet lately it’s harder to remember certain things about him. When one of the grandkids asks to hear a story, my mind finds fewer stories to share. I’m sure memories will resurface at different times in life, but I want to have access to every single one at any given time. When I can’t recall something like the smell on his shirt, the sound of his voice or his laugh, it hurts. I don’t want to lose those memories, and yet, they see to have faded.
  1. Other people’s grief, loss and pain affect me greater than before.  -  Losing my Charles has given me new lenses. I am now keener to the pain of other grievers. When I hear of someone who has lost their child, their spouse, their parent, etc. my heart isn’t just heavy, it’s shatteres for them. My pre-widow self wasn’t able to sympathize in the same ways. The brand-new grievers with raw, fresh pain stay on my heart and in my prayers for months and months. Before, I would’ve paused, maybe attended a funeral and sent a card and then life would’ve swept me forward. Now, I think of them often.
  1. Depression is a real thing and faith is still my choice.  -  Other widows have warned me about year two. They’ve told me it’s worse than year one. I don’t know yet if that will be true for me, but I can tell you that my depression really set in the closer I got to year two. It’s real and it’s a suppressive joy-stealing demon. I don’t like that I need help with this, but I do. I refuse to be stifled by its grip on me, so I’ll fight it every way I know how. Depression isn’t about not having enough faith. It isn’t about choosing joy over sadness. It isn’t about digging deeper. It isn’t mind over matter. It’s a real thing, no matter how much faith you have. There’s no shame in getting help for it. And speaking of faith, it has been tested this year. I haven’t lost it; I've learned to trust HIM  and HIS promises even more.  But during this first year I want to admit it hasn’t been easy. At times I’ve been very lonely, angry and desperate for HIS answers. I’ve longed for a glimpse of HIS plan for me now, and I don’t have it yet. I continue to seek HIM and always will, but I wanted to confess this year has been a faith-tester, for sure.
  2. There are still moments that come out of nowhere and take my breath away.  -  Time doesn’t heal all wounds, and it doesn’t make the heart and mind any smarter. There’s evidence of this almost every day. Maybe it’s something the kids say or do that make me happy or proud, or maybe it’s something I’m afraid of and need help working through, and for a millisecond I think about calling Charles' name to share the moment with him or to seek his help. These swift moments are the mind trickery that continues to steal my breath away. It’s cruel how at my core I still can’t always remember that he’s gone. I’m living proof that grief amnesia is a real thing.
  1. There’s no more time for BS.  -  When loss cracks you wide open and leaves you raw and exposed, you quickly learn what’s worth hard work and emotional energy and what’s not. Year one has revealed there’s no room for BS and drama in my life anymore. It has taught me the importance of focusing on things that really, truly matter. I really know now how fleeting our time on earth is and I am determined to make it count. I still don’t know what the future holds for me, but I am determined to make my life matter and make my Charles proud of me.   I want to love my kids and grandkids more, laugh more, help more, stand up for the weak more, hold the hands of the hurting more and appreciate the small moments more. It’s still a long road ahead, one I can’t look down for very long periods of time. Heading into year two, it’s still a very one-day at a time scenario. It will be at my own pace. Sometimes that pace will be slow and painful and sometimes I’ll surge ahead with speed. But I’ll keep moving forward, one step at a time.

Thanks for being there for me this first year and I pray you will you stay with me for year two?   I hope you will. We’re stronger together.  Sorry for the length of this post - but it's a year's worth of memories.

• Members

Know my thoughts are with you today, dear Francine.  Charles will be smiling down upon you today, no doubt very proud of your grace and courage. 

That is a beautiful piece of writing.  Thank you for sharing it with us.  I’m counting on you being around as I go into my third year of widowhood next month. 

Sending strength, much love and many hugs. XXX

• Moderators

Francine,

Everything you say is true, but the pain WILL lessen eventually, it's just a year is too soon to hope for it, it takes much much time to process our grief, let alone adjust to this different life.

I would like to share what you wrote with my grief group next time we meet...we're taking a winter break but will start up again when the roads get better (I live in snow country).

Yes, we will continue to be here for you.  Don't apologize for the length, it was rich with wisdom of having lived through this first year.

I felt I deserved an award after surviving my year of firsts, so here, I want to give you one...it's been a tough year.

award.jpg

• Members

M88 and KayC

Thank you both for your responses - they both touch me in such a beautiful way, especially today.  God bless you  both!

• Members

I, like you, am so scared of the things I will forget in time. The little things that made up life together. Silly little songs she would sing. Im trying to write things down as much as I can but it’s terrifying. I don’t to forget anything! I wish our whole life had been recorded so I could watch it over and over! Thank you for helping me to feel not quite so crazy. Thinking of you today.

• Members
1 hour ago, Djh0901kc said:

I wish our whole life had been recorded so I could watch it over and over! Thank you for helping me to feel not quite so crazy. Thinking of you today.

Wouldn't that be great if it were; pause it if I wanted to; rewind if I wanted and just be able to watch all the good times and well as the bad ones.  Thanks for thinking of me today; good to know there are others who are going through what we are going through and that we're not alone.

• Members
9 hours ago, Francine said:
I stayed up really late last night, maybe subconsciously to avoid waking up to today. One year ago today, I lost my Charles. I hate that sentence. I hate the part before the comma and I certainly hate the part after the comma. I hate today. I hate the memories of a year ago today.

As I slept,  I reached for his hand, and it wasn’t there to hold. That startled me awake. It perfectly summarizes the beginning of year two though. The start of the second year has also caused me to pause and reflect back on my first year as a widow. (I hate that word also) I needed to identify any progress I made in order to figure out how I am going to deal with my sophomore year in grief. So here it is boiled down to ten things I learned in my first year as a widow.
  1. Survival is possible.  -  The first days and weeks after losing my Charles I wasn’t sure how I’d survive, or if I even wanted to. Losing him literally crumbled my foundation and the pain was unbearable at times. I look back now and see that although it wasn’t pretty, it serves as proof that I can do hard things. I got through it; mostly because I HAD to, not because of some phenomenal strength of character. But nevertheless, I survived.
  1. My Inner Circle has changed.  -  I really struggled with disappointment and hurt over the loss of what I thought I somehow deserved from friends. When they fell short, I felt abandoned. I’m looking back today with a little more “extra grace.” Instead of clinging to hurt, I’m recognizing with gratitude the new people that have emerged in my life. The people who are genuinely concerned about me…the people who are sincerely praying for me and selflessly wrapping me in their love, support and friendship have risen to the top like rich cream. So instead of dwelling in the hurt of relationships lost, I’m focusing on the new, beautiful people God has put on my path. I’m getting better at letting go of hurt, disappointment and negativity. I’m trying to be less selfish about the shake-up of my inner circle.
  1. The pain doesn’t lessen.  -  Although it’s true that maybe I cry softer and maybe even less frequently, the pain hasn’t really lessened. In many ways, it’s intensified. It’s not gone, just changed. There’s been a little bit of getting used to pain in this first year, although my heart is far from cold blooded.  My wound still bleeds, but there aren’t as many new cuts.
  1. I will never be the same person again.  -  At the one-year mark, I’ve realized the old me is gone. She died with Charles.  In her place there is emerging a new, changed person that is being discovered. She’s slightly familiar but not quite the fully recognizable me from the past. Year two is going to be about finding her and giving her what she needs.
  1. I miss him more now.   -  In many ways, I miss my Charles more today than I did early on. Looking in the face of year two, I see more reality than year one revealed. I see a long road ahead without him. This new truth is a very lonely one. I guess year one knew I couldn’t handle all of the revelations at once so it saved plenty for year two.
  1. Memories fade. -  I was afraid this would happen, but it’s still so difficult. I still talk to Charles, still have conversations with my children about their dad and grandchildren about him, and yet lately it’s harder to remember certain things about him. When one of the grandkids asks to hear a story, my mind finds fewer stories to share. I’m sure memories will resurface at different times in life, but I want to have access to every single one at any given time. When I can’t recall something like the smell on his shirt, the sound of his voice or his laugh, it hurts. I don’t want to lose those memories, and yet, they see to have faded.
  1. Other people’s grief, loss and pain affect me greater than before.  -  Losing my Charles has given me new lenses. I am now keener to the pain of other grievers. When I hear of someone who has lost their child, their spouse, their parent, etc. my heart isn’t just heavy, it’s shatteres for them. My pre-widow self wasn’t able to sympathize in the same ways. The brand-new grievers with raw, fresh pain stay on my heart and in my prayers for months and months. Before, I would’ve paused, maybe attended a funeral and sent a card and then life would’ve swept me forward. Now, I think of them often.
  1. Depression is a real thing and faith is still my choice.  -  Other widows have warned me about year two. They’ve told me it’s worse than year one. I don’t know yet if that will be true for me, but I can tell you that my depression really set in the closer I got to year two. It’s real and it’s a suppressive joy-stealing demon. I don’t like that I need help with this, but I do. I refuse to be stifled by its grip on me, so I’ll fight it every way I know how. Depression isn’t about not having enough faith. It isn’t about choosing joy over sadness. It isn’t about digging deeper. It isn’t mind over matter. It’s a real thing, no matter how much faith you have. There’s no shame in getting help for it. And speaking of faith, it has been tested this year. I haven’t lost it; I've learned to trust HIM  and HIS promises even more.  But during this first year I want to admit it hasn’t been easy. At times I’ve been very lonely, angry and desperate for HIS answers. I’ve longed for a glimpse of HIS plan for me now, and I don’t have it yet. I continue to seek HIM and always will, but I wanted to confess this year has been a faith-tester, for sure.
  2. There are still moments that come out of nowhere and take my breath away.  -  Time doesn’t heal all wounds, and it doesn’t make the heart and mind any smarter. There’s evidence of this almost every day. Maybe it’s something the kids say or do that make me happy or proud, or maybe it’s something I’m afraid of and need help working through, and for a millisecond I think about calling Charles' name to share the moment with him or to seek his help. These swift moments are the mind trickery that continues to steal my breath away. It’s cruel how at my core I still can’t always remember that he’s gone. I’m living proof that grief amnesia is a real thing.
  1. There’s no more time for BS.  -  When loss cracks you wide open and leaves you raw and exposed, you quickly learn what’s worth hard work and emotional energy and what’s not. Year one has revealed there’s no room for BS and drama in my life anymore. It has taught me the importance of focusing on things that really, truly matter. I really know now how fleeting our time on earth is and I am determined to make it count. I still don’t know what the future holds for me, but I am determined to make my life matter and make my Charles proud of me.   I want to love my kids and grandkids more, laugh more, help more, stand up for the weak more, hold the hands of the hurting more and appreciate the small moments more. It’s still a long road ahead, one I can’t look down for very long periods of time. Heading into year two, it’s still a very one-day at a time scenario. It will be at my own pace. Sometimes that pace will be slow and painful and sometimes I’ll surge ahead with speed. But I’ll keep moving forward, one step at a time.

Thanks for being there for me this first year and I pray you will you stay with me for year two?   I hope you will. We’re stronger together.  Sorry for the length of this post - but it's a year's worth of memories.

Week 3 tomorrow and i still cant come to terms that he is gone forever..i find myself sitting and waiting for him to miraculously show up to explain they had the wrong guy but disappointment sets in when reality hits..i hate life..i dont see a purpose..i dont feel the joy i had when he was here with me.its not fair.God is a bully

• Members

Francine,

thank you for your reality of losing your Charles.. 

I lost my Rick just a little over 2 mos. ago and I thought I was doing so well until this Christmas season started.. the sounds of music that we loved and played.. the reminders of our time we had together last year and this is about the time we found out it was cancer that was going to take him.  But we thought it would be at least 3 to 4 years before he’d leave or be healed.  I preferred to not accept it.  

Obviously it didn’t happen.. once he started chemo and radiation, he was never going to be the same.. it just got worse every day.  Then finally the day came that it was time to have hospice do their job.. well 1 week turned into over 5 weeks.. I never slept at home until I watched them take his body away. 

Today I look at our pictures and ask myself if this was real.. I see us together but Im not sure anymore... now I want to wake up from this nightmare.. our difference is I had only 2 1/2 years with him.. the man that I knew that was the real deal.. the real love and the one I wanted to spend a lifetime together.. I know.. I am thankful for the time we had and thank God for the time he gave us.. but my selfishness wanted more.. but he’s gone and I know he won’t ever come back.. 

and as far as finding different friends.. well I discovered that part first from divorce.. but after a death you have those that are right there with you and promise they will be there if you need them.. his friends and yours., that lasted about 3 weeks.. people go back to life as it was.. they don’t realize what you are going through is the most devastating loss you will ever have.. I wasn’t worried about all the everyday stuff like taking care of everything and being independent because I was all if that and still am.. the problem now is doing it and grieving at the same time.  I have a few friends that check in with me daily still.. my children are ok but don’t know the extent of my loss.. they are all grown and have grown kids .. so our lives were not like most.. Rick and I didn’t live together either.. but we spent most of that time together.. if we weren’t together we were on the phone with each other.. we always prayed together and went to church together. But the time we were together in hospice only a very few people came to see him and no one relieved me and I was alone with him when he passed except for hospice..  even his family didn’t come to help.  

This has been one of the loneliest things I’ve been through and most heartbreaking.. 

i think you are a very brave person and may God bless you and give you the strength to keep going.  

This season will pass and hopefully life will bless us all and maybe friends will come around..  

• Members
1 hour ago, bea said:

Week 3 tomorrow and i still cant come to terms that he is gone forever..i find myself sitting and waiting for him to miraculously show up to explain they had the wrong guy but disappointment sets in when reality hits..i hate life..i dont see a purpose..i dont feel the joy i had when he was here with me.its not fair.God is a bully

I am so very sorry for your loss and know your pain; especially today which is bringing back the memories and events of a year ago.   I was like you; couldn't or wouldn't accept the idea that I would never see my Charles again and didn't believe it.   I too hated this life, didn't want any part of it if it didn't include my Charles.  The words "purpose"and "joy" didn't fit my life anymore and I was mad at the world, everyone in it, including God himself.  I only wanted to be with Charles no matter what and if that meant dying, than I thought, bring it on.  I was already dead on the inside so why not be dead on the outside, right?  But as the darkness that I was in seemed to dissipated somewhat, I was able to see a bit clearer.  Clear enough to know that when you are suddenly plunged into darkness, that darkness is profound, and you cannot see anything. But wait a while, let your eyes adjust, and if there is a glimmer of light anywhere, you will begin to see and you will make your way through. The darkness will not be quite as dismal as you first thought. Even in the darkness there is enough light to pull you through.  And for me, God was that light and still is.  Right now, you are hurting and think that HE is the bully.  But here’s truth; in it all, HIS light still shines. It never flickers out, it doesn’t hide itself away. Because HE never changes and will not be overcome by darkened days. HIS words are clear and constant, guiding our path, HE gives hope and purpose through every treacherous step along the journey.  Thank you for your post; it meant so much to me.  Know I'm praying for you.

• Members

Thank you Francine.my heart is with you during your sorrow.          Me and my precious Ron the most amazing artist

received_1785876571431225.jpeg

• Members

Francine,

I haven't posted in a,while but after reading your beautiful words I just wanted to reach out and say that your Charles is definitely proud of you. You have helped so many here with your kind thoughtful words and advice. Your compassion for others always shines through even when your suffering through your own grief. I hope year two gives you peace and strength. I have learned so much from your words, thank you:wub:

Diane 

• Members
1 hour ago, Dian said:

I have learned so much from your words, thank you

Today, surprisingly, is going quite well so far; I'll see later on what this evening brings.    I'm constantly learning by being on this forum; learning that I'm never alone and there are others who *Truly Get* exactly what I'm going through.   I truly appreciate your response. It brighten my day, especially today.  Thanks so much.

• Members
4 hours ago, SusieRicky said:

Francine,

thank you for your reality of losing your Charles.. 

I lost my Rick just a little over 2 mos. ago and I thought I was doing so well until this Christmas season started.. the sounds of music that we loved and played.. the reminders of our time we had together last year and this is about the time we found out it was cancer that was going to take him.  But we thought it would be at least 3 to 4 years before he’d leave or be healed.  I preferred to not accept it.  

Obviously it didn’t happen.. once he started chemo and radiation, he was never going to be the same.. it just got worse every day.  Then finally the day came that it was time to have hospice do their job.. well 1 week turned into over 5 weeks.. I never slept at home until I watched them take his body away. 

Today I look at our pictures and ask myself if this was real.. I see us together but Im not sure anymore... now I want to wake up from this nightmare.. our difference is I had only 2 1/2 years with him.. the man that I knew that was the real deal.. the real love and the one I wanted to spend a lifetime together.. I know.. I am thankful for the time we had and thank God for the time he gave us.. but my selfishness wanted more.. but he’s gone and I know he won’t ever come back.. 

and as far as finding different friends.. well I discovered that part first from divorce.. but after a death you have those that are right there with you and promise they will be there if you need them.. his friends and yours., that lasted about 3 weeks.. people go back to life as it was.. they don’t realize what you are going through is the most devastating loss you will ever have.. I wasn’t worried about all the everyday stuff like taking care of everything and being independent because I was all if that and still am.. the problem now is doing it and grieving at the same time.  I have a few friends that check in with me daily still.. my children are ok but don’t know the extent of my loss.. they are all grown and have grown kids .. so our lives were not like most.. Rick and I didn’t live together either.. but we spent most of that time together.. if we weren’t together we were on the phone with each other.. we always prayed together and went to church together. But the time we were together in hospice only a very few people came to see him and no one relieved me and I was alone with him when he passed except for hospice..  even his family didn’t come to help.  

This has been one of the loneliest things I’ve been through and most heartbreaking.. 

i think you are a very brave person and may God bless you and give you the strength to keep going.  

This season will pass and hopefully life will bless us all and maybe friends will come around..  

I'm so sorry for your loss and know your pain. From your post, it is quiet evident the love you shared with Rick, while short in length, will last a lifetime.  That in itself is a blessing, and its easier to count your blessings rather than your problems.     It's unfortunate that his family was not there for you or Rick, but I hope you find some solace in knowing you made his last weeks happy ones.  The harsh reality is that once everything is over, people generally move on with their lives leaving you all alone to walk this lonely and painful journey of grief.  Little does anyone care that for the griever, everyday is a constant battle to start and being strong all over again.  And we do, because we have no other choice.  Loneliness and heart break become our normal emotions that hurt all over our bodies.  But again we endure that also. 

I want to personally thank you for your kind words; they mean so much to me, especially today.  

• Moderators
18 hours ago, bea said:

It is common in grief to have our very faith shaken to the core, but it usually returns as our clarity of mind begins to return and we see that God didn't set out to ruin our life but rather we have mortal bodies that give out...there will be a time for "forever" and no more goodbyes, and I look forward to being reunited with George when that time comes for me.  Meanwhile, God is with me as I go through this and I hope you can feel Him bolstering you in the years to come.

Of course you don't see a purpose, your purpose died along with him.  It will take much time to process his death, more time yet to build a life for yourself that you can live, and even more time to find purpose in your life.  It won't ever be like "before", but it can be livable, doable, and even some moments of joy along the way.  I pray for good things to come your way, no matter how small, so you can see that glimmer.  When they do, try not to compare them to before, that is self-defeating, but try to embrace whatever good you can see, no matter how small, no joy is insignificant as we begin to live in the present and appreciate what is today.  I began this practice on day 11 and it has been life changing for me.  I wouldn't be where I am today without this practice of living in the present and practicing gratitude.  Sometimes it's hard to see beyond our pain and resentment, but the more we practice this, and yes it does take concerted effort, the more we begin to experience improvement in our outlook.  Oh God I know this sounds pollyannaish, I'm sorry, but it's not, it's very real and very vital to our grief recovery...which isn't something we're ever "over", but a lifelong process that we adapt to.

• Members

Francine,

It is 3 months today for me. THANK YOU for being here. You and many others have helped me. It gives me hope that I can move forward while loving and respecting Lauri.

I have not posted too much lately because everything is just so much to process sometimes. Things have been sort of rough since Thanksgiving.

God Bless You!

• Members

5 hours ago, Paluka said:

Francine,

It is 3 months today for me. THANK YOU for being here. You and many others have helped me. It gives me hope that I can move forward while loving and respecting Lauri.

I have not posted too much lately because everything is just so much to process sometimes. Things have been sort of rough since Thanksgiving.

God Bless You!

The good thing about this forum is that we all help one another and that's the way it should be.  Three months seems so fresh in one's grief, not that I'm a expert at one year, but I love it when someone so fresh in grief has hope and not hopelessness that one might feel at three months ( I know I certainly did't).  This life isn’t permanent. No matter how horrible things are now, things will change.  When my Charles made his transition, my life was filled with hopelessness. I knew it would change, eventually; it just had to. But when you’re so deep in that pit of sadness, it’s hard to see how God will bring you out. People would tell me “this too shall pass,” but in the middle of hopelessness, there’s little anyone can say or do to make you feel better.  By God grace, I’m not in that dark place and if I or anyone else on this website can give just one person hope, then we have done our job.  And yes, there is hope - it give me hope that we are moving towards healing especially during this holiday season.

Know you are in my prayers and sending you a virtual *hug*.

• Members
9 hours ago, KayC said:

It is common in grief to have our very faith shaken to the core, but it usually returns as our clarity of mind begins to return and we see that God didn't set out to ruin our life but rather we have mortal bodies that give out...there will be a time for "forever" and no more goodbyes, and I look forward to being reunited with George when that time comes for me.  Meanwhile, God is with me as I go through this and I hope you can feel Him bolstering you in the years to come.

Of course you don't see a purpose, your purpose died along with him.  It will take much time to process his death, more time yet to build a life for yourself that you can live, and even more time to find purpose in your life.  It won't ever be like "before", but it can be livable, doable, and even some moments of joy along the way.  I pray for good things to come your way, no matter how small, so you can see that glimmer.  When they do, try not to compare them to before, that is self-defeating, but try to embrace whatever good you can see, no matter how small, no joy is insignificant as we begin to live in the present and appreciate what is today.  I began this practice on day 11 and it has been life changing for me.  I wouldn't be where I am today without this practice of living in the present and practicing gratitude.  Sometimes it's hard to see beyond our pain and resentment, but the more we practice this, and yes it does take concerted effort, the more we begin to experience improvement in our outlook.  Oh God I know this sounds pollyannaish, I'm sorry, but it's not, it's very real and very vital to our grief recovery...which isn't something we're ever "over", but a lifelong process that we adapt to.

Thank you. I will try

• Members

Thanks Francine for this beautiful post. In my 4th month now and you are one of the lovely, compassionate, kind people who’s helping me to somehow survive  just by reading your posts. Thank you for all your help. Just like you I try to keep my FAITH in  HIM. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you. 

• Members

I am approaching the first anniversary of losing my Kevin.  Reading what you wrote, Francine, gave me the comfort of knowing I'm not alone with how this all feels.

Thank you to ALL OF YOU who continue to come here, continue to listen.

<3

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Paluka said:

I have not posted too much lately because everything is just so much to process sometimes.

Yet I have seen your posts and wished they had a "like" button here.  You are there spot on for others, even in your own grief.

• Members
9 hours ago, Maria0419 said:

Just like you I try to keep my FAITH in  HIM.  My thoughts and prayers are with you. 

Thanks so much for your post.  In the beginning it was so hard to hold on to my faith even when I didn’t feel like it.  Faith is not a feeling or an experience, but a decision or choice we have to make.   Faith is not something you lose, it’s something you choose or reject and I, for one, am glad you have decided to choose it. I can’t imagine life without Jesus. Holding onto faith has been a struggle, but to live without it, is unthinkable.  It is so vital to the Christian life.  Scripture  Hebrews 11:6 states, "And without faith it is impossible to please God".  Yet faith is such a powerful gift from God (Ephesians 2:8) Christ told His disciples that, with just a tiny measure of it, the size of a mustard seed, they could move mountains.

So please, keep your faith in HIM no matter how hard it gets; keep trusting in HIM; HE is always in control even when your circumstances may seem out of control.  Know that I am here, we all are whenever you feel like coming to this site.   Know you're always in my prayers.

• Members
10 hours ago, Stonesie said:

I am approaching the first anniversary of losing my Kevin.  Reading what you wrote, Francine, gave me the comfort of knowing I'm not alone with how this all feels.

Thank you to ALL OF YOU who continue to come here, continue to listen.

I believe we're never alone even though we may feel like we are.   Whether happy or sad,  God is with us always!  I believe in scripture and in Matthew, 28:20 it states, .... and surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age".   My first year without my Charles was the hardest season of my life. I lost my husband and myself (to a certain degree); however in the midst of my deepest heartache, God is healing my broken heart and in HIS goodness, has given me what I needed and longed for most — a understanding that my Charles is OK and a REAL relationship with HIM.   Thanks for taking the time to read my post and respond; it really meant a lot to me.   Know that you are always in my prayers!

• Members

I'm having a horrible day, where is he?????? why can't he still be here, I do not want to live this life without him, I can't do it

• Members

Oh Bea

I'm so sorry you're having a horrible day; God knows I have had many of them many times and undoubtedly will have more. For me, prayer helps, crying helps and trusting in God.   Try to inhale, then exhale. Everything is going to be OK eventually and actually it will be better than OK, just you wait and see.   I truly believe Ron ( strange, that is what I called my Charles - his name was Charles Ronald and everyone called him *Ron* for short) is still here, right next to you, he never left you - you just can't see him, because he's there in spirit.     You are strong and CAN do this and you  WILL do this; if not for yourself, than for Ron, he would have wanted you to. You never know how strong you really are until there is no other option except to be strong. And that's what we are, strong women getting through the most devastating time in our lives.

I didn't know Ron, but just from your picture, it's evident the love you shared for one another and know that that love will always be.  Nothing and no one can ever take that away.  I know the season you're facing now is dark and very lonely and you feel disconnected from the life you once knew. But know that God is always there with you, lovingly and patiently waiting to connect to your heart, mind and spirit through Christ alone!

Bea, you don't know your own strength; God didn't mean for us to break.  Life is tough especially without Ron and will, undoubtedly get tougher; it won't be easy; nothing in this life generally is.  It catches you off guard and unprepared and makes you think what you ought to do next.  To suffer is common to us all; to suffer and still keep your composure, your faith and your poise is remarkable.  The pain we suffer will change us profoundly and our sufferings will shape our perception of this life, its values and priorities.  Stay strong Bea, you will make it through and Ron is watching over you to make sure you do.

I've got you in my prayers.  Sending you a virtual *hug*.  God Bless

• Moderators
On 12/8/2017 at 12:32 PM, bea said:

I'm having a horrible day, where is he?????? why can't he still be here, I do not want to live this life without him, I can't do it

Oh Bea, I know, we've all felt that.  You don't have to do your whole life today, just do TODAY.  Today you can do.  Hang in there, Hon.  (((hugs)))

• Members

I still cant believe my baby is gone, this cant be real. I feel like I'm waiting for some sign from him, I cant do this without him. I hate not hearing from him.

• Members
19 hours ago, bea said:

I still cant believe my baby is gone, this cant be real. I feel like I'm waiting for some sign from him, I cant do this without him. I hate not hearing from him.

I'm right there with you.  This is a difficult day for me; I'm learning what the up and down days really are and this is a *downer* for me.  Perhaps being alone in the house is stirring up those happier times when as long as Charles and I were together, we didn't need anyone else. We were both whole just being with one another; now I'm not whole anymore; I'm broken and can't be fixed, (like humpty dumpty).   I feel I should be comforted in knowing that Charles is in heaven, free from all pain, and sufferings and yet all I feel is own personal hell without him.   Losing our husbands is indescribably difficult, but, we can take comfort in knowing that they are safe, at peace, and in the presence of God, no longer concerned by all of the many worries of this God-forsaken, fallen world, but resting in the arms of the Savior.

One of the toughest parts about life—even if it does last forever—is when a loved one passes on. We miss their bodily presence, their hug, and voice—in short, all the physical attributes that we associate with them.  They were and are much more than skin, muscle, organs, and bones. That was only their earth-suit, their outward disguise that housed their indestructible essence for a while.  It’s difficult when they transition, but try to think of it as them completing  earth-school.  Life is never-ending, but ever-changing; and hopefully this knowledge will allow you to experience the sadness and pain associated with loved ones dying, but at the same time, feel joy that they graduated and went Home to be with the Lord.   We can know without a doubt that they have happily escaped from a world of great sorrow and pain, and we can console ourselves, knowing they will no longer have to suffer; that they are in total peace.  We can trust God on this.  We can believe HIS word, and can enjoy the memories of the time shared with our loved ones until we see them again in Heaven. As difficult a day I am having, deep within I know this to be true. 

• Members
19 hours ago, bea said:

I'm right there with you.  This is a difficult day for me; I'm learning what the up and down days really are and this is a *downer* for me.  Perhaps being alone in the house is stirring up those happier times when as long as Charles and I were together, we didn't need anyone else. We were both whole just being with one another; now I'm not whole anymore; I'm broken and can't be fixed, (like humpty dumpty).   I feel I should be comforted in knowing that Charles is in heaven, free from all pain, and sufferings and yet all I feel is own personal hell without him.   Losing our husbands is indescribably difficult, but, we can take comfort in knowing that they are safe, at peace, and in the presence of God, no longer concerned by all of the many worries of this God-forsaken, fallen world, but resting in the arms of the Savior.

One of the toughest parts about life—even if it does last forever—is when a loved one passes on. We miss their bodily presence, their hug, and voice—in short, all the physical attributes that we associate with them.  They were and are much more than skin, muscle, organs, and bones. That was only their earth-suit, their outward disguise that housed their indestructible essence for a while.  It’s difficult when they transition, but try to think of it as them completing  earth-school.  Life is never-ending, but ever-changing; and hopefully this knowledge will allow you to experience the sadness and pain associated with loved ones dying, but at the same time, feel joy that they graduated and went Home to be with the Lord.   We can know without a doubt that they have happily escaped from a world of great sorrow and pain, and we can console ourselves, knowing they will no longer have to suffer; that they are in total peace.  We can trust God on this.  We can believe HIS word, and can enjoy the memories of the time shared with our loved ones until we see them again in Heaven. As difficult a day I am having, deep within I know this to be true. 

• Members
On 12/7/2017 at 9:42 AM, KayC said:

Thank you. I will try to look at things that way..i just feel so anxious all the time..waiting for something ..and not knowing what the hell i'm waiting on?? I hate this life

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Francine said:

I'm broken and can't be fixed, (like humpty dumpty)

I remember writing that in the early days after losing George...I felt like Humpty Dumpty, and all the king's horses, and all the king's men, couldn't put Humpty together again.  It's a very apt description of how we feel. 

We DO feel glad they've met their reward, graduated, if you will.  We ARE glad they're out of their suffering.  BUT, we have our own feelings to deal with too, and WE are lonely, missing them, scared, hurting, and so much more that is indescribable, and all of our feelings are valid and real.  We can feel conflicting things at once, and we do.  A part of me is glad for him, but also jealous that he escaped this suffering that I am going through, even though I wouldn't wish it on him or on anyone! 

Our feelings don't have to make sense, they're just to be gotten through.

14 hours ago, bea said:

waiting for something ..and not knowing what the hell i'm waiting on??

You're waiting on the processing part of this grief, waiting on getting used to this, waiting on the adjusting, the building a life you can live, the finding some kind of purpose again, no matter how small, anything that helps you live again.  It'll happen, oh God it takes time, so much time, and it's that waiting that's hard.

Meanwhile, you aren't helpless to just leave it to waiting, there is much you can do to help yourself through this, there are books and articles to read, posts to post in forums, grief support groups to attend, grief counseling to get, art therapy to be done, processing your grief, little by little.  Letting yourself feel the pain, sit with it, get through it, bit by bit.  I never knew anything could be so exhausting!  But grief is work, it's not merely something that "happens to us".  it takes effort.  I remember when I discovered that, early on in my grief, and then I felt mad that I'd have to work at something I never wanted or asked for!  :)  True, but it was mine to deal with all the same.

• Members
39 minutes ago, KayC said:

I remember writing that in the early days after losing George...I felt like Humpty Dumpty, and all the king's horses, and all the king's men, couldn't put Humpty together again.  It's a very apt description of how we feel. 

We DO feel glad they've met their reward, graduated, if you will.  We ARE glad they're out of their suffering.  BUT, we have our own feelings to deal with too, and WE are lonely, missing them, scared, hurting, and so much more that is indescribable, and all of our feelings are valid and real.  We can feel conflicting things at once, and we do.  A part of me is glad for him, but also jealous that he escaped this suffering that I am going through, even though I wouldn't wish it on him or on anyone! 

Our feelings don't have to make sense, they're just to be gotten through.

You're waiting on the processing part of this grief, waiting on getting used to this, waiting on the adjusting, the building a life you can live, the finding some kind of purpose again, no matter how small, anything that helps you live again.  It'll happen, oh God it takes time, so much time, and it's that waiting that's hard.

Meanwhile, you aren't helpless to just leave it to waiting, there is much you can do to help yourself through this, there are books and articles to read, posts to post in forums, grief support groups to attend, grief counseling to get, art therapy to be done, processing your grief, little by little.  Letting yourself feel the pain, sit with it, get through it, bit by bit.  I never knew anything could be so exhausting!  But grief is work, it's not merely something that "happens to us".  it takes effort.  I remember when I discovered that, early on in my grief, and then I felt mad that I'd have to work at something I never wanted or asked for!  :)  True, but it was mine to deal with all the same.

I was reflecting this morning while realizing my precious love is just memories now.Reading different websites on the afterlife.so many different opinions..they are asleep until..they are angels.they are not angels..they arent watching over us..they are watching us..it all boils down to nobody REALLY knows anything and reading so many opinions and not understanding why we live in a life where we pretend to be happy when we know grief and loss is around the corner..is depressing and scarey..Whos idea was this? Oh theres alot of opinions about that too and people throwing down scriptures that have been altered .translated..and exists in more than one Bible...there is no "True bible"  they are just words..the only truth has got to come from the heart..which I intend to find..obviously there is something that created us. Its not just a coincidence.Why give us breath.and loved ones but the moment we are too happy..something destroys it.let me guess..the devil..whatever

• Members
8 hours ago, KayC said:

We ARE glad they're out of their suffering.  BUT, we have our own feelings to deal with too, and WE are lonely, missing them, scared, hurting, and so much more that is indescribable, and all of our feelings are valid and real.  We can feel conflicting things at once, and we do.  A part of me is glad for him, but also jealous that he escaped this suffering that I am going through, even though I wouldn't wish it on him or on anyone! 

Your post has touch my spirit - thank you for that!

• Members

Francine - Thank you for the beautiful insightful post about your experiences from your grief journey.   Coming up on 6-months, I do agree with a lot of your bullet points which resonates solidly with me.   I'm sure in time, your points will be even more vivid and clear in my mind.  I never imagined that losing my wife would hit me on so many different levels, whether it is physically, emotionally, psychologically, and even spiritually.   We are all on this grief train which no destination in sight.  All we're doing is bumping up and down like a roller coaster, while going left and right, upside down, all in the dark.

We need more grievers like you, Francine.  Thank you for your insight and for always helping us here.  Hitting the 1-year is a big accomplishment.  It is a mile stone, albeit not a happy one.

• Members
10 hours ago, Azipod said:

Francine - Thank you for the beautiful insightful post about your experiences from your grief journey.   Coming up on 6-months, I do agree with a lot of your bullet points which resonates solidly with me.   I'm sure in time, your points will be even more vivid and clear in my mind.  I never imagined that losing my wife would hit me on so many different levels, whether it is physically, emotionally, psychologically, and even spiritually.   We are all on this grief train which no destination in sight.  All we're doing is bumping up and down like a roller coaster, while going left and right, upside down, all in the dark.

We need more grievers like you, Francine.  Thank you for your insight and for always helping us here.  Hitting the 1-year is a big accomplishment.  It is a mile stone, albeit not a happy one.

Thanks so much for your post.  This forum is family to me - I can literally tell people who *GET IT* exactly what I'm feeling and how I'm feeling.  Communicating with others who listens without giving advice, who lets you communicate about whatever you need to discuss, accepts you where you are in your journey, and doesn’t try and make you feel differently is healthy for all of us.  Communicating with people on this forum helps me begin to acknowledge the reality of my loss and I believe that sharing and communicating about our loss is an important part of our healing. 

I thank all of you guys for being here for me.  Truly I do. 

• Moderators

I feel the same way.  It struck me when you said "doesn't try and make you feel differently", because that is a common mistake people who love us make...they want to "fix" us, and they can't.  There's no "fixing" this one!  There is only learning to live with this altered life and make it something we can do, finding purpose for ourselves again, and that takes more time than people can imagine.

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

There is only learning to live with this altered life and make it something we can do, finding purpose for ourselves again, and that takes more time than people can imagine.

Amen to that!

• Members

Francine, thanks for sharing your feeling of one year of anniversary.  You mentioned the "memories faded."  Unfortunately, I found out my memories start to fade after losing my husband almost five months.  That is what I am afraid of at the beginning.   I wish I could still remember everything about him very clearly before I pass.  So far I only have twice visitation dreams of him.  I pray very often that he can get in my dream again.  But it never happens.  Instead I dreamed of my co-workers, which is not what I wanted.

• Members
36 minutes ago, LoveD said:

Francine, thanks for sharing your feeling of one year of anniversary.  You mentioned the "memories faded."  Unfortunately, I found out my memories start to fade after losing my husband almost five months.  That is what I am afraid of at the beginning.   I wish I could still remember everything about him very clearly before I pass.  So far I only have twice visitation dreams of him.  I pray very often that he can get in my dream again.  But it never happens.  Instead I dreamed of my co-workers, which is not what I wanted.

Supposedly, if you ask them to visit in your dreams, then they visit you. I don't know how true it is, but I set the intention just before I go to bed every night and just hope that someone is listening. There are also guided meditations that supposedly make it easier.

• Members
3 hours ago, lovingstill said:

Supposedly, if you ask them to visit in your dreams, then they visit you. I don't know how true it is, but I set the intention just before I go to bed every night and just hope that someone is listening. There are also guided meditations that supposedly make it easier.

You are doing it correctly.  The intention is what is needed.   The rituals, whether its prayers, candles, or any other paraphernalias are all useless unless the intention is there.   Forming the intention takes a lot of work.    Most of the time it's not as simple as a thought or a wish.  It is a combination of things we do, in which we form our "intentions."    Also, I would try not to feel bad just because the dreams do not come or you are not seeing signs.   It doesn't work for all and likely certain conditions here on earth, and more importantly in the spiritual realm, has to be perfect before they can establish a connection with us.   There are many outside factors that neither we or our loved ones have control over.   The laws of the spiritual realm are neither logical or understandable to humans.   Just because something doesn't happen doesn't mean they do not want to connect with you.  They do.  But we have to remember that our loved ones are gone in spirit .  Being a spiritual being does not equate to being a magician.  They can't just simply make things happen.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Azipod said:

You are doing it correctly.  The intention is what is needed.   The rituals, whether its prayers, candles, or any other paraphernalias are all useless unless the intention is there.   Forming the intention takes a lot of work.    Most of the time it's not as simple as a thought or a wish.  It is a combination of things we do, in which we form our "intentions."    Also, I would try not to feel bad just because the dreams do not come or you are not seeing signs.   It doesn't work for all and likely certain conditions here on earth, and more importantly in the spiritual realm, has to be perfect before they can establish a connection with us.   There are many outside factors that neither we or our loved ones have control over.   The laws of the spiritual realm are neither logical or understandable to humans.   Just because something doesn't happen doesn't mean they do not want to connect with you.  They do.  But we have to remember that our loved ones are gone in spirit .  Being a spiritual being does not equate to being a magician.  They can't just simply make things happen.

I’ve been reading a lot (including on other forums) on the spirit realm and after death communication and it’s been helpful to me. I’ve already had a few dreams with him in them. I’ve also seen a medium — it was so moving, but I felt like I was losing him all over again.

Since his passing last month, I’ve read Roberta Grimes’ material, followed Sonia Rinaldi and tried some of Craig Hogan’s protocols. Ive been able to have conversations with him through some of these. It’s got a healing quality to it.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, LoveD said:

You mentioned the "memories faded."  Unfortunately, I found out my memories start to fade after losing my husband almost five months.  That is what I am afraid of at the beginning.   I wish I could still remember everything about him very clearly before I pass. 

It's been 12 years for me but my memories of him are very clear.  Perhaps it's just that they seem so distant, of another lifetime.  But I remember his voice, remember his smell, remember his zest for life, how I felt when he held me.  It just seems surreal that we were really together though.

• Members
13 hours ago, lovingstill said:

Since his passing last month, I’ve read Roberta Grimes’ material, followed Sonia Rinaldi and tried some of Craig Hogan’s protocols. Ive been able to have conversations with him through some of these. It’s got a healing quality to it.

Thanks for sharing the names.  I'll have to check them out because I haven't come across their materials yet.

Recently, I came across Hans Wilhelm's material about life, which I found very fascinating, because it succinctly summarizes everything I've been reading about the spiritual world and is very consistent with multiple people's view.  His videos are also very short and cuts down to the chase.  

http://www.lifeexplained.com/

• Members
On 12/8/2017 at 2:03 PM, Francine said:

I believe we're never alone even though we may feel like we are.   Whether happy or sad,  God is with us always!  I believe in scripture and in Matthew, 28:20 it states, .... and surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age".   My first year without my Charles was the hardest season of my life. I lost my husband and myself (to a certain degree); however in the midst of my deepest heartache, God is healing my broken heart and in HIS goodness, has given me what I needed and longed for most — a understanding that my Charles is OK and a REAL relationship with HIM.   Thanks for taking the time to read my post and respond; it really meant a lot to me.   Know that you are always in my prayers!

Thank you. <3

• Members
Extra Grace Required

I'm glad you found my article to be relevant, Francine.  http://extragracerequired.com/2017/03/26/my-first-year-as-a-widow-ten-things-i-learned/

I hope you also found it comforting to know that you're not alone. In the future would you please cite the source of the article?  Thanks so much. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you walk this difficult road.

Extra grace,

Jodi

www.extragracerequired.com

• Members
12 hours ago, Extra Grace Required said:

I'm glad you found my article to be relevant, Francine.  http://extragracerequired.com/2017/03/26/my-first-year-as-a-widow-ten-things-i-learned/

I hope you also found it comforting to know that you're not alone. In the future would you please cite the source of the article?  Thanks so much. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you walk this difficult road.

Extra grace,

Jodi

www.extragracerequired.com

The article had such a impact on me and touched me in a way of what I as feeling at that exact time.  In the future I will cite the source of the article and thank you for your thoughts and prayer; I certainly welcome and need them.

• Moderators

Great article, it sums it up appropos!  I've saved the article (with link) for my grief support group.

Archived