Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Appreciating little joys.

M88

• Members

I thought it may be a good idea to post what, if anything,  has brought us joy today amid the pain and anguish. 

I found joy in watching a young Thrush preening itself after a dip in the birdbath.  I watched in awe at it’s beauty and pondered on it’s worry-free life.  

I found a short-lived joy in laying compost around my rhubarb plants. 

• Moderators

I've been up since 2 am and it's 4:38 now but yesterday my "joy" was being at the senior site with the others, there is always much laughter and care shared.  Also spending time in the evening with my dog and cat.  My dog is so loving, I don't know what I'd do without him.

I'm glad you enjoyed watching the Thrush!  It is exactly things like this that I look for.  I take great joy from getting to see deer or elk, really, any wildlife.

• Members

I've had two dreams in the last week with him in them and it has brought me an overwhelming sense of peace and joy. In one, we were at a dance and the Beach Boys song Forever was playing. I refused to dance with him and called him a liar; he said, "But this is proof. I'm giving you forever."

In the other dream, he was headed to the airport with an older woman I didn't recognize. I asked to go with them; he told me I wasn't ready yet but that when I was ready, he'd be there waiting for me.

• Members

I hadn't planned on decorating the house for Christmas; however, in the past, it was my passion to do so. I looked forward to the holiday and everything that went along with it.  Now since my Charles transition into heaven, I didn't feel the joy or desire.  In a dream, Charles asked when I planned on decorating the house and I told him since he went away I had no desire to do so. The strange thing is he looked puzzled and said to me "Go away"?  "What are you talking about"?  I'm right here.

The next day, I got up and decorated the house. 

• Members

I went to the barn this morning as I'm house sitting for a friend and her one retired (due to medical condition not age) horse is there alone. He is normally a quiet horse but this morning he nickered at me as I walked into the barn to give him hay.

• Members

The beautiful sunset while driving home today. It always brings me joy for I know my husband loves nature and is also admiring it with me. 

• Members

I really try hard to appreciate things. I really do. It's so difficult for me to see past myself right now. I miss her so much. No dreams of her and sometimes it just feels like it was all a dream.

• Members

I spent the evening on the couch with my three dogs.  That gave me joy.  I know my husband loved each of them as much as I do.

• Moderators

My grief support group wanted to get together for lunch, so we did yesterday.  Two of them had just hit their one year mark this week.  There was a bond as we came together, it's as if they've hit a turning point, and I'm glad of that.  The grief continues on, we never stop missing them, but they are able now to incorporate small joys and smiles and laughter once again into their lives that coexist with the "missing them" part.

• Members

Went to a friend’s baby shower and had good conversations with people. The things that reminded me of my BF today made me smile instead of cry.

taking the little things in, day by day

• Members

One of my best friends brought me joy today.  She came up from the city for the day and as it was a glorious hot summers day, we ended it with fish and chips for dinner at the beach.  

• Members

Whilst doing some tidying in my garden out front today, a local I hadn’t previously meet, but I see pass my home often stopped to offer condolences and ask how I was getting on.  He knew my Gerry, so I enjoyed having a chat with him, and a pat of his lovely Labrador. 

• Moderators

I am finding joy in each of life's little experiences, just greeting a neighbor on one of our walks, everything that happens is an opportunity for something good to display.

• Members

I did not find joy in my life today.   I found misery, despair, sorrow, and pain.   And it all hit me so hard due to the darn Christmas Songs that are popping up all over the place.  Among one of them I heard during my commute in the car today.....    

"All I want for Christmas, is you."

Archived