Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My angel

tinabeans29

• Members

On friday i let my 19 year old cat out for her usual morning hunt . She didnt come back. We asked our neighbours to check their outhouses and garages sheds etc. Put up pictures on lamposts and pushed notices through doors. Friday came and went. Saturday morning no sign went for a walk around her haunts with her food. Cally loved food. Still no sign. We slept downstairs in case she came home and at 1.15 am sunday morning we heard her meowing outside. We rushed her to the vets as she couldnt use her back legs. So she must have crawled her way back. The vet said both her back legs were broken and would have to be amputated.  She wouldnt survive the anaesthetic i knew at 19. So made the hardest decision and stayed with her stroking her telling her to go and chase mice. Told her how much we loved her and always would. Im heartbroken my fingers ache with the loss. We brought her home and have buried her in our garden were she used to lie in the sun. How can i carry on without her it hurts so much .

FB_IMG_1511116718495.jpg

• Members

Hi, I am so sorry to read about your kitty. So sad. :( I know you are heartbroken. It is a horrible thing to have to go through. 

At least she was able to get back to you and you were with her at the very end. I wish I could say more to make you feel better, but I do understand the pain you are in. After we lost our cat, I didn't really eat for 2 days, barely slept. The world lost pretty much all joy for me.

All you can do is grieve. It does slowly get better over time. For now just be patient as it takes some time to process such a loss. Again, wishing you peace and comfort.  

• Moderators

I am so sorry.  She came back to you for help and you gave it to her.  My 19 year old cat, King George, disappeared June 3, 2016 but I never found any trace of him.  I live in the country so I figure it was a predator like a cougar or large bird that snatched him.  None of the neighbors heard or saw anything.  I never let her out at night, it was 6 am and light outside.  I wish so much I could have laid her body to rest on her place, but don't even have that.  It felt like I had no closure.

Your cat is very beautiful.  I'm sorry you lost her.  It's hard getting used to being without them, we continue to miss them.  My only consolation is knowing we'll be together again.

• Members

Hi all thank you. I had a full meltdown last night but feel slightly better this morning. We laid her to rest in our garden. I realise how fortunate i am thet she found the strength to get back and that we got to hold her and talk to her one last time. She was an amazing cat and will be really missed. Our other cat is missing her and thats hard to watch. The saddness comes in waves and i cry but i know she is better now. No more pain. It helps for me to talk and cant thank you all enough for listening. Xxx

• Members

I had a meltdown at one point too. You do feel a little better just letting it out.

I am glad she is in the garden but even more important her spirit is always around you all. Give your other cat extra kisses and attention. Wishing you the best in this process. 

• Moderators

I'm glad she made her way back too.  I had a cat that happened to once...a neighbor kid set a trap in our forest (on our property) and our cat Midnight got caught in it.  We called and called him for five days, looked for him, nothing.  Gangrene set into his leg so he was finally able to pull his leg out and made his way back up to us.  By that time it was so bad there was no hope for him and we had to put him out of his misery...we let him eat a can of salmon first.  It was heartbreaking, he was only two.  It especially touched me that he'd made his way back to us through all his pain.  They know where to go for help, to the ones that love them, and sometimes that help is putting them out of their misery because we know there's no hope for anything else.  We do what is best for them and then we wait...we wait for that reunion day when we can be together again.  They know how much we love them and that we would do anything we could for them.  It's us now suffering, us hurting because we miss them

I'm glad you found a spot in your garden, I'm sure she's happy and at peace to be close by.

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

I'm glad she made her way back too.  I had a cat that happened to once...a neighbor kid set a trap in our forest (on our property) and our cat Midnight got caught in it.  We called and called him for five days, looked for him, nothing.  Gangrene set into his leg so he was finally able to pull his leg out and made his way back up to us.  By that time it was so bad there was no hope for him and we had to put him out of his misery...we let him eat a can of salmon first.  It was heartbreaking, he was only two.  It especially touched me that he'd made his way back to us through all his pain.  They know where to go for help, to the ones that love them, and sometimes that help is putting them out of their misery because we know there's no hope for anything else.  We do what is best for them and then we wait...we wait for that reunion day when we can be together again.  They know how much we love them and that we would do anything we could for them.  It's us now suffering, us hurting because we miss them

I'm glad you found a spot in your garden, I'm sure she's happy and at peace to be close by.

Thank you all for your support. I get to say goodmorning to her and goodnight every day. My other 19 year old cat is moping around and not really eating much. But giving her special cuddles and talking to her. I bless cally for having the strength to get back.  I feel for you and your lost one . Xxxx

• Members

Tina I am so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you. It's such a terrible  thing to happen.  It's so moving and heartbreaking that your kitty managed to make her way back home. At least you were able to take her out of her pain and hold her to the very end. I wish I could say something more to make you feel better, I know how huge the pain is.Let yourself express all your grief, with time it will get better.

I buried my own kitty in the garden too and at least I know that she's near. Talk to your kitty, her spirit is with you and always will be. And your other kitty needs all your love now, she is grieving too.

Write here as often as you feel, it will help you. It sure has helped me a lot. We all have been through this loss and we understand.                                                 I pray that you will find strength, comfort and healing.

Archived