Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Bear has passed

Sole-Mate

• Members

Well, I had to make the decision on Monday for Bear.  He was my 17 year old white Husky. Ya know, the last year I tried twice to make the move to the VET, but I really wanted Bear to make his own decision.  He was still able to walk outside by himself and take his potty breaks albeit a little wobbly.  I keep this nails short, when he would let me cut them.  When they got long they curled under and bothered him when he walked.  He was very clean; he did not mind the bath so much; he still had an appetite; he was still cognizant of his surroundings; he interacted the best he could.  He even would meet me at the door sometimes when he could navigate the two steps.  So, I kept giving him a good diet and cleaned his linens and brushed him.  Always giving him treats; singing to him; given him lots of hugs. I work from the home and we were constant buds 24/7/265.  I never went anywhere overnite for the last several years because I wanted to care for him. It was no problem and I liked it and he was a great companion.  He gave me the extra eyes and ears around the home.  The last year or so he started staying close to his bedroom and dripping in his bed.  No problem as I just washed it more often.  Then he started having #2 accidents at nite since it was hard poopy.  Still no problem and I would take him outside as much as he could stand.  We always walked around the outside of the house  at least once a day. Most recently he started having wet accidents in bed and would not be able to get up after sleeping in it.  He would actually go to the side of the bed that was dry and give me that look like there was something gross in his bed.  BUT, this last weekend he began whimpering for me to come in and pick him up and then I knew he was not going to last much longer.  He would go get some water and I would hear his whimper because he would fall and I would pick him up.  He just could not stand on his own anymore and then I knew what I had to do.  I had been mentally preparing for this moment for a long time and I just told him "It was okay, we all get old." in a warm soft voice; gave him hugs and kisses; and dumped heads after a kiss on the nose. He would gently close his eyes and I would sing to him.  So, when we had to go to the VET he was calm and it was like a normal outing.   BUT, and that is a very BIG BUT, I do "feel" like crap that it came down to this and I HAD to make the decision.  I know it was the right thing to do; I know it was the best for him; I would rather be there with him until the end and not have him run off somewhere or hide in a corner or pass without being together.  What can you say, Our Canines, our little creatures, are family to all of us and they deserve as much reverence and respect as any family member.  I believe after 17 years he had a great life; was respected; was cared for appropriately; cared for until the end.  Special!  

• Members

So sorry to hear about Bear. You really had such a long and wonderful life together. Doesn't make it easier!

I know how hard it is to decide, today is the day, enough is enough. Obviously it was, you did the right thing since Bear was really at the end. And at least your were there with him to the final moment. So many people do not get that. I hope you are doing okay. I am sure Bear's absence is very very hard.  

• Moderators

Wow, this post really got to me...Huskies are my favorite dog, they're just a breed like no other!  I have one, my son has always had Huskies, one of them is white.  17 years is amazing when their average life span is 10-12.  No matter how long we have them though, it's never long enough.

My son's dog, Skye, was so special, he was crippled, it got more pronounced the older he got, his front paws would turn under and he'd stumble and fall, finally he couldn't walk at all.  My son asked me what you do when they become incontinent.  I told him the same thing you'd do for an old person, clean it up.  Don't ever make him feel bad for it, if he could control it, he would, and I reminded him of how when he was young he held it for three days once because he was on cement (it took three days to catch someone at our rural dog catcher to get him back) and he didn't think you should go on cement.  Later he asked how you know when it's time.  I told him, when he no longer has quality of life, when he's in pain, you have to make the best choice for HIM, not for you...we never want to let them go, but what we want should come second to what they need.  There came a day...over four years ago, we had to let our Skye go.  He's buried in my back yard, the best granddoggy in the world, he lived with me half his life.  

We never stop missing them.  We eventually adjust as best we can but we continue to love and miss them.  

Your Bear had a good life with you, it sounds like you were both lucky to have each other.  I'm just so sorry for your loss.

Archived