Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of Adult Son

JeanP

• Members

I feel so empty, lost our son on Labor Day 09-04-2017, 35 years old, died suddenly leaving behind 3 small children & wife. Sometimes I think I'm doing ok then a wave of grief flows in I think about the future, our babies growing up without their Dad, the thought of never seeing or hearing from him again, I want to feel happiness again. I have wonderful family, friends, & church family, I appreciate their support but I miss my son. 

• Members

jeanp I am sorry for your loss it is the hardest thing to deal with. You are so new to the grief journey and I am afraid it takes a long time and a lot of hard work to find some balance and healing. truthfully you will miss your son for the rest of your life but as time goes by and you slowly adjust, life goes on and that sharp agony you feel now will get less. You are very fortunate to have such a great support group you will need them for a good while and it really helps. I miss my son too. Tommy was 24 when he was killed , in 2015 and not a day goes by that I don't miss him and wish he was still around to chat with and see, it still seems unreal sometimes. Just know that your son is still with you you just cannot see him but one day long in the future you will see him again. It is not forever it is just for right now.

15665622_690144171146733_2487807820501366695_n.jpg.66659d895b5655b83aa53be21df15f37.jpg15914_571203219679553_6634038360634710899_n-768x768.jpg.bc1ecadf744cdcd0f5e6139764a583aa.jpg

• Members

Thanks so much for the reply it helps finding support that truly understands.

• Members
My girl is in heaven

Jean. I am so sorry for the loss of your precious son. I lost my 17 yr old daughter very suddenly as well six years ago. It is a long painful road that we bereaved parents walk. Tommys mom is right you will always miss him but you eventually weave your loss into this new life u never wanted. This site is full of parents who have lost thier children too and we all rally around each other and hold hands as we embark on this sad sad path. Please join us on loss of an adult child. Thst is where we all are. And we r here to stand by you. Please join us there and let us help. Take care.

Click on loss of an adult child, and then two arrows will take u to the last post.

• Members

Jean, this is my first posting on this forum.  I lost my youngest son on August 11.  He was 27 years old.  It’s funny how grief works.  I have good days and bad days.  I have had several people tell me that loss of your child, at any age, never gets better - you just learn to live with it...  I was also told not to be surprised if after a month or two you regress back to the beginning of the grief journey - this has been true for me.  I wish I had words of comfort, but I don’t right now.  The best I can say is that you are not alone.  There are many of us out here on this same journey.  

I haven’t done a lot of reading on this forum yet, but it’s one of the things I have turned to for help.  I’m really glad you have a loving family and church - it’s a comfort to realize how kind and good people really are.  Unfortunately, I think this is a pretty solitary journey...at least for me...and we all grieve differently.  I miss my son desperately.  It’s the worst feeling of longing that I’ve ever had.  Prayers and best wishes to you!

• Members

dewbs  I am sorry you lost your boy it is a terrible burden to carry. please also join us on loss of an adult child and share your story and experience. It does not have to be a lonely journey there are lots of us in the same boat struggling to make sense of it all and missing our children desperately. i am glad you found us and hope you will find some comfort here.

15665622_690144171146733_2487807820501366695_n.jpg.e97ded43087f8fef5138d4824a24b4fe.jpg

Archived