Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

my young dog died tragically

lisawool

• Members

Hello,

on Friday the 3rd November we lost our miniature dachshund only 2 years old in a horrific incident. At a public park two big dogs came running up, one of the dogs attacked Bob and killed him. My daughter was in the playwark and witnessed this all. I am in shock and grieving so much. I am an artist and work from home, he was with me all the time and my best friend. He helped me through a tough time and just always gave unconditional love. My daughter is 9 and my son is 14, its affected the whole family and I just don't know how to deal with this pain. I can't sleep, the incident keeps replaying in my mind, I wish I have done more.. The attacking dogs didn't wear collars or anything and their jaws locked on my dog. 

The police is involved as well. I came to this forum as I need advice and support, I can't bear to be home...

Thanks

IMG_2977.JPG

• Moderators

I am so sorry, it is a horrible thing that happened to your sweet little dog.  I am glad the police were called, we wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else and those mean dogs need stopped.  They should not have been in a public park free to roam.  My hope is that when this happened your dog went into a shock that protected him form feeling and realizing what was going on.

Even though you didn't personally see what happened, our minds can conjure up images that are very difficult to deal with.  You might want to try a therapist to help you with this.  This has often been used in dealing with such traumatic imaging...

http://blog.healthjourneys.com/update-from-belleruth/emotional-freedom-technique-eft-may-look-weird-but-if-it-gets-the-job-done-do-we-care.html 

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2010/03/using-emotional-freedom-techniques-eft.html 

Your daughter is very young to have witnessed something like this, how is she dealing with it?  You might want to consider grief therapy for her as well.

• Members

Thank you KayC. I did witness it all as it happened by my feet and i got bitten as well....

i will look into the links you have sent. 

Many thanks for replying.

• Moderators

I'm sorry, I was under the impression it was your kids that saw it, I'm sorry you are all carrying that image.  If you have a hard time with the EFT, you might try getting professional help with it, someone to guide you through it.  Others have said it's very helpful in this instance and I've used it in other situations although guided.

• Members

Hi there, I just wanted to express my condolences to you about your dog Bob. My heart truly breaks for you. What an awful thing to have happen. Years ago lost I two cats to cancer living fairly long lives and recently my one cat in a more sudden, tragic way - from a poison we think. It was awful to see and go through.

So, not only are you grieving his loss, you are dealing with a really traumatic, violent, event. I encourage you to read what KayC sent and get more help if you need it.

For me, writing out my feelings here as helped me so please do that if you need to get it out but don't want to talk about it to your kids. We all read the posts and are here to support you as we can. We understand as many others do not. I hope you are doing okay. Take it one day at a time.  

• Members

Dear Lisa, i am sorry for the loss of your sweet doggie and for the shock and the horror you and your daughter went  through. I think too that you need professional help to deal with this, as it was so traumatic for you and your whole family. A therapist will also guide  you how to help your children go through this, especially your daughter. Don't carry this on your own. The grief by itself is already so heavy. You can write here anytime you feel like, we understand. Please take care of yourself.

Archived