Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Mother Passed Away 10 Years Ago When I Was 15

Caitlin N

• Members

My mother Melinda passed away July 18, 2007. I was 15. At the time I was living with her, my stepdad and my two step brothers (they were 7 & 6). She was diagnosed 2000 with stage 4 breast cancer, and was only given a year to live. I was only 8 when she was diagnosed so I don't think at the time I fully understood. My mom was just sick, and like every other time anyone I knew got sick, she was going to get better,...right? I never would have guessed that I would spend the summer before high school saying goodbye to my mom. Just before my "real" life started I had the most important person in my life taken from me. I always felt like something was missing after that. Seeing all my friend going back to school shopping with their moms or their mom cheering them on from the bleachers at our basketball games. It just wasn't fair. What had I done to deserve this. I didn't get to go prom dressing shopping with her or talk to her about the first boy I ever truly loved. She wasn't there to take me prom dress shopping or even teach me how to be a woman. I don't know maybe because this was the 10th anniversary of her death or something but I have just missed her incredibly lately. I just feel alone. 

• Members

Dear Caitlin,

I'm so sorry for your loss.  To lose your mother so young must be terrible and at such an important time in your life.  I would like to know what has helped you during these past 10 yrs?  Have you had good support?  Did you have grief counseling?  There are young people who visit this site and as I read their stories most are heartbreaking.  You have survived 10 yrs, it's an achievement.  I'm sure your story could help others.

I'm sorry for what you're going through now.  I don't think loss ever goes away.

Archived