Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Heartbroken

TinaF

• Members

My mother passed away of liver failure just 14 days ago. She was just 65 years old. I was very close with my mom. I only saw her twice a year because I live 1600 miles away from her but we spoke 2-3 times a week. She was my best friend. We talked about everything from sex to what Tv show was going to be on that night. I spent the last 6 days of her life by her side and i was by her side along with my father when she passed away. I keep replaying her final moments over and over again in my head. All day long i see flashes of how her faced looked when she died. She had wasted away to nothing. Her last recorded weight was just 76lbs. Her beautiful face was practically unrecognizable so these flash backs are nightmarish to me. I feel like my heart is being ripped out of my chest. 

• Members

Dear TinaF,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom.  Nothing compares to losing a mom.  I understand how you feel.  My mom was in hospital for 6 weeks, she changed so much physically days before her death.  It was very hard for me.  What was harder though was watching the gradual decline over a period of a year.  I have more flashbacks to that period then the time in the hospital.  We are all different.  2 weeks is a very raw time.  That raw emotion you describe lasted for 3 months for me.  After 6 months things improved a little and now its 9 months I feel a deeper level of loss as the reality of forever sinks in.  We are all here because we are struggling and know that the only people who understand are the ones going through it.  I'm sorry for your loss.  We're listening to you.

• Members

It has been seven months since my mom passed away. Those flashbacks haunted me for awhile. But they did get better with time. Something my therapist recommended, was connecting those horrible flashbacks to some happy time you had with her - so when the images pop in your head, to gently shift your thoughts towards some happy memory. It took some time, but it did help.

Hang in there. It is so hard, especially the first few months. You are legit going through trauma, and honestly, for me, it was just a matter of getting through it.

Archived