Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

loss of my only child

Barbara Yates

• Members
Barbara Yates

I lost my daughter June 3rd 2017. She was 22 and my only child. She died from heroin. I do not want to live. Is there anyone else that lost there only child to drugs

• Members

barbara I am so sorry for your loss, losing a child causes unbelieveable pain, and for it to be your only child even more cruel. She was so young at only 22. heroin along with so many other drugs is an evil that takes lives and wrecks everyone around it. My eldest son was addicted to drugs for  4 years and it caused so much anguish within the family, so I understand some of the pain and worry you probably went through with your girl. Please join us on the thread Loss of a child on the first page, and then choose Loss of an Adult child. There is a fairly large group of us and is the most active forum by far. There are moms a couple of dads and a couple grandmothers all of whom lost a child or several children in a variety of ways at different ways but we are all united in trying to help support and care for each other because we know from bitter experience how isolating devastating and long grieving can be. I would like to know more about your precious daughter if you are able to share? I lost my son Tommy in 2015 very unexpectedly and had a mental breakdown afterwards so I totally get your desperation and not wanting to keep on going i was the exact same way. However with a lot of therapy and the support from the site I am slowly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and would like to offer you the hand of friendship.

• Members
Chrisgray2007

Barbara, I lost my 32 year old son, my only child, Oct. 5, 2015. He died of heart failure from multiple drug interactions. He had cocaine and heroine in his system. I wanted to curl up and die and I have really bad days, but I go on so that I make sure he is remembered. When my son passed, my husband was very ill so that was another reason I got up everyday. I lost my husband exactly 1 year later. I would love to tell you the pain goes away it doesn't. I have learned to be happy again. I volunteer, work, spend time with family and friends. I offer you support and prayers. 

• Members

Thanks Chrisgray2007 for showing us there is a possible ending to the sadness albeit over time. It demonstrates that a parents love never dies or even dims and their strength in continuing on is the best gift for their child. My hope is that all of us end up where you are, happy and living life again. Would you also join us on loss of an adult child? Your experience and views would be really beneficial in supporting those members still lost in grief and overwhelmed with sadness and despair.

• Members

So sorry for your loss, Barbara((((... I know your pain, I lost my daughter last May from the same horrible reason, she was 23 y.o. and only child. Still suffering a lot... Tears.

• Members

barbara and alina losing a child to drugs is a terrible thing but you both need to know it was not either of your fault. The drug epidemic is so overwhelming now and kids get sucked in too easily despite parental talks and warnings and often the signs are too subtle to notice until the drug has them in their grip. It is very often accidental overdose that takes away precious lives because the purity cannot be guaranteed. Sometimes these kids seek help for their addiction and then overdose accidentally when they relapse. My son Tommy was addicted to drugs for several years and used heroin for a while because it is a much cheaper substitute for pills. We knew he smoked pot but could not stop him and it was only later I recognised the signs of opiate use. I never saw trackmarks on him. We got him a psychiatrist and he tried rehab a few times but always went back to the drugs so I understand how being a parent of an addict feels. There is a lot of shame involved for the addict and their family. It is important to be able to recognise it was not your fault, you were not a bad or neglectful parent and it was the child's choice to use. My son did eventually get clean  by himself, but tragically was killed in an accident after 14 months of sobriety so even though I did not lose him to drugs I still lost him. being able to talk to other parents is healing especially as it is online and in your own time. Please join us on loss of a child l and choose loss of an adult child thread to be a part of a caring community committed to supporting each other through grief.3c879fbdd9567779d3203faa839073dd.jpg.0c571bba524ace3c30c7209a3fe7a9e2.jpg63b4cec502ebeff135ef88cd80c9a842--losing-a-child-quotes-losing-a-son.thumb.jpg.a2f46b05b551255b80dfeecd6c10d658.jpg6d59cdcd1e1de8870c46fe30c5a2dcac.jpg.3580bb4a5b231e1db04d58d4a79e2468.jpg

• Members

Barbara, I also lost my daughter to heroin. It's been five months, and I want to scream every day. She wasn't my only, but my first born. She was 20. It's an indescribable pain. We're not equipped for this, this wasn't supposed to happen. 

• Members

Take heart all of you new parents to grief. You are not alone ok?

11a227bf1292f9c23591cf4b13d43a2f.jpg.ae94b0b623644709919644dff68f0750.jpg

127b312f57065c3b91d7af30fd4a7e16.jpg.43db97ce9d46db8dd816af3ee814274b.jpg

1555339_10151910669013753_603426205_n.png.ae50e190de72bf8f5d41815e5619c69c.png

Archived