Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How writing helped me to heal

Sam Hayward

• Members

After losing my soulmate to cancer a few years ago, my world fell apart and my grief was all consuming.  When I was feeling particularly low, I wrote about it and somehow this helped me.  I kept writing and eventually the idea of writing a book came to me.  In 2015 I self-published my first novel Black to White which follows the journey of a grieving widow who is trying to rebuild her life.  The woman is essentially me, although most of what happens to her is fiction.  It took two years to write and after typing the last sentence, I sat back in my chair, amazed at what I'd done.  I also realised that I had found a sense of peace and contentment.  The process of writing about my experience had healed me.  People who have read my book have contacted me to say that it has also helped them.  

• Members
12 hours ago, Sam Hayward said:

In 2015 I self-published my first novel Black to White which follows the journey of a grieving widow who is trying to rebuild her life.  The woman is essentially me, although most of what happens to her is fiction.  It took two years to write and after typing the last sentence, I sat back in my chair, amazed at what I'd done.  I also realised that I had found a sense of peace and contentment.

Wow! Good for you!  That is an accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself.  It took courage, persistence,  dedication, time, strength, and desire.  Know that your loved one would and is proud of you as well.  It is comforting to know that for some of us, life goes on.  Probably not the way we would want, but always the way its supposed to.  Again, congrats on the book and who knows, maybe it's a first in a long line of novels. 

Archived