Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The loss of my beloved dog..

Sar

• Members

Last night my 14 year old dog had to be put to sleep. I'm devastated and am worried about his sister. They were inseparable and now his gone I don't know how she'll cope. I guess all I can do is give her a lot of attention. Im trying not to cry around her but she knows somethings wrong and missing. I can't believe how much this hurts I miss him beyond words...

• Members

Hi Sar, I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure his sister sees he's gone and she is probably sad. All you can do is give her lots of attention - you both need each other. That said, let yourself grieve and cry. I wish I could give you some more words of comfort, when we lose our pets it is horrible. The world became a dark place after we lost our cat. My husband and I were in shock and could barely function. We are still terribly sad many weeks later. So, it's just a process we have to go through one day a time. You have good moments and then a wave of grief will come over you and hit you hard. They are such important pieces of our lives and when they are no longer there, it is a gaping wound. :(      

• Moderators

Sar,

I'm so sorry you lost your dog.  It seems they never live "long enough".  The changes it means to your everyday life are a continual reminder, and that is so hard to adjust to.  You're right, his sister will grieve also and wonder where he is.  All you can do is be there for her and give her lots of attention.  When my husband died, my dog, Lucky, grieved, and I was so consumed by my own grief it took my daughter to point it out to me, so then I gave her lots of extra attention and love.  

• Members

Sar, I am so sorry, I know how much it hurts...I pray you have strength and courage, losing a pet is so painful. Don't hide your grief from your doggie, because I think she can read your heart. All our pets can. Tell her what happened ,share your grief with her and give her all the love you can....

• Moderators

I sometimes talk to Arlie (dog) and Kitty about Miss Mocha.  I don't know what they understand but we were a family and it's hard when one of us is now gone.

• Members

I am sure they understand KayC, in their own way. Animals are intelligent, only in a different way. I talk to my pets too.

• Members

Hi Sar. I know how you feel and Im so sorry.  It's going to be 2 weeks since I had to say goodbye to my precious little dog baby  of 18 years. This morning as I went into the den I caught a glimpse of a throw on the couch and for a second thought it was her. Im still so sad.  I Keep replaying the whole good bye scene in my head and although it was peaceful and in our yard under our tree, Im struggling with guilt. Did I let her down?  Should I have tried to keep her going? I know the answers but there's a gaping hole in my heart. Let yourself cry. Let yourself just be in whats  happened, it's ok. I put a little memorial area up with photos and a candle so that I can still see her. Please know that you're not alone in your sadness.

• Members

One other thing I need to get off my chest thats haunting me. In syringe feeding my dog one of her teeth fell out . I did bring her to the vet one last time who assured me that it was time . I feel so guilty. I didn't mean to hurt her and Im so sorry. I was just trying to give her food and water and it accidentally happened. I hope that wherever you are my darling "Yaffi", that you know that everything I did to the end was out of my loving you my sweet honey. 

• Members

Ema, of course you didn't mean to hurt your doggie, you were trying to help her, it was an accident. I am sure she knows this and that she felt your love to the very end. Please don't feel guilty.

• Moderators

Ema,

When my cat, King George, was dying of cancer, I cut a mat off his skin and it cut a hole in his skin!  He was already in so much pain he probably hardly noticed, but i felt HORRIBLE!  I have never forgotten that, even though I know he forgave me.  It wasn't too long after that when I had him put to sleep.  Things like that are hard to deal with.  Your dog's tooth was probably ready to fall out and would have with or without the syringe.  I found a tooth in my MIL's bed after she died, I hated to think the suffering she went through for that to happen, but she never mentioned her teeth bothering her, I guess compared to the cancer it was nothing.  Nothing about this is easy.  :(

• Members

Thanks for replying everyone. It's been so hard. She hides under the bed poor thing. I still can't believe his gone. Picked up his ashes last week, was thinking of taking them to the beach he loved the it there but i think I'll keep him at home. I dont know its just a tough time at the moment...Thanks again for your kind words 

• Members
On 10/8/2017 at 11:19 AM, Ema said:

One other thing I need to get off my chest thats haunting me. In syringe feeding my dog one of her teeth fell out . I did bring her to the vet one last time who assured me that it was time . I feel so guilty. I didn't mean to hurt her and Im so sorry. I was just trying to give her food and water and it accidentally happened. I hope that wherever you are my darling "Yaffi", that you know that everything I did to the end was out of my loving you my sweet honey. 

@Ema so many things seem to go wrong at the end. We got our cat's teeth cleaned and cysts removed from his tail just 2 months before he passed. You kind of made me want to get that off my chest. It was very traumatic for him, I think of all he went through to then die weeks later and it's horrible. I know, we do the best we can. Had I known I never would have done all that to him. As they age, everything starts to fail. It is very sad, just the reality and not your fault. 

Archived