Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

This morning I wept

KayC

• Moderators

We are bombarded on every side by news of hurricanes and earthquakes...Harvey, Irma, Maria, so much more.  This morning as I read the newspaper of the earthquake in Mexico, of little children buried in rubble, some alive, waiting to be rescued, only to have time run out...it broke my heart.  God, why???  There is no answer.  Someone's life was forever changed.  A man getting his baby baptized, only to lose his infant and his whole family.  People waiting outside a schoolhouse reduced to rubble, only to learn their child never made it out.  How do we deal with so much devastation?  It's everywhere, all around the world, but lately, it's hit so close to home...to some, it's hit their neighborhood.  Waiting for news from friends that live in TX, FL, GA, TN...this is so hard.  We remember our own day of loss, we know all too well what it feels like.

• Members

It is so terrible the disasters that have been going on. I've even run across articles that this is our doomsday coming. Actually, this morning, I read the latest article that doomsday is Saturday. I don't believe this, of course. Predictions of doomsday occur every year. But, I did read an interesting bit of news last night. All of these natural disasters are the result of a purging, a cleansing of the earth in preparation for better days to come. Nothing about this life makes much sense. I did get into a debate with the sister of a friend though. She honestly, adamantly, believes that God is causing all of this to happen. That God is willfully wielding His power to cause people's deaths and the destruction of the earth. So many hate filled people turning against their neighbor and God is showing His revenge. The loving God I know wouldn't even think of doing these things to His children here.  I gave up trying to convince this person to look at it from a different perspective.

The hurricanes, flooding, earthquakes and wild fires do leave a person questioning these things. If some unknown force is behind the frequency of these disasters. Or, is it that we are becoming more aware and it is all just the natural evolution of the planet?

All of us here know the pain of loss. Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are always going out to those that are victims of these disasters. We know what their families are going through.

• Members
9 hours ago, KayC said:

We are bombarded on every side by news of hurricanes and earthquakes...Harvey, Irma, Maria, so much more.  This morning as I read the newspaper of the earthquake in Mexico, of little children buried in rubble, some alive, waiting to be rescued, only to have time run out...it broke my heart.  God, why???  There is no answer.  Someone's life was forever changed.  A man getting his baby baptized, only to lose his infant and his whole family.  People waiting outside a schoolhouse reduced to rubble, only to learn their child never made it out.  How do we deal with so much devastation?  It's everywhere, all around the world, but lately, it's hit so close to home...to some, it's hit their neighborhood.  Waiting for news from friends that live in TX, FL, GA, TN...this is so hard.  We remember our own day of loss, we know all too well what it feels like.

Very seldom have I've seen you post a new topic so I know this must be near and dear to your heart.  There are a lot of disasters going on in the world, more than usual, with a larger than normal loss of life is tragic.  There comes a point where it all becomes too much to handle.  We often become so tired we give up; but that's when our real work begins.  Finding hope where there seems to be absolutely none at all.   We cannot stop natural disasters from happening, but we can arm ourselves with more knowledge and perhaps more could be saved if there was enough preparation.  No matter what sort of disasters we face or how painful the experiences are, losing hope would be the real disaster.

We must stay in prayer and as christian women, we believe in scripture.  Romans 8:18 states, "We have sufferings now.  But the sufferings we have now are nothing compared to the great glory that will be given us."  God is our refuge and fortress and in times of disasters, we may tremble; looking for the light, but only finding darkness.  The key is never to doubt HIM and always believe.  While we may not know it, HE has gathered all of us under HIS wings and is fulfilling HIS promise to be with us in times of danger and/or trouble. Psalms 27:5 reads, "During danger, HE will keep me safe in HIS shelter.  HE will hide me in HIS holy tent or HE will keep me safe on a high mountain".   HE is never blind to our tears, never deaf to our prayers and never silent to our pain.  HE sees, HE hears, and HE will deliver.   

You're right, we know the pain only too well and my heart literally breaks for the thousands of innocent victims; especially the children.  But in all the disasters, it's comforting to know that there's a lot of caring people in this world.  It makes me so proud to see people of all ethnic backgrounds help one another.  The power of one's touch, a simple smile, kind word, listening ear,  can all have the potential of turning a life around.   I've always thought that a kind gesture could reach a wound that only compassion can heal.

You are a beautiful soul and my sister in Christ.  We'll both keep the prayers going up and God will send the blessings down.  I just know HE will!

• Moderators

Well the Bible does say no man knows the day or the hour so I don't pay attention when people say the world will end such and such day.  But it does look like the signs of the times!  So many affected, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, US, Mexico, but even clear across the world things are happening, and of course all the "rumors of war" with N. Korea.
Politics aside, my heart goes out to the individual people that are suffering loss...not just loss of home, although that in itself is hard enough, but especially loss of family members.

Thank you both for your responses.  I guess we can only pray for the victims and donate to the relief funds.

• Members

I agree with you all - it is more heartbreak on top of heartbreak...  I had come to the point that I anticipate seeing more bad news with each passing day.  I can see how some folks fear the revelation is coming...  at my darker moments I find myself hoping that may be the case.  There is only so much suffering one can take, both personally and in the world around us.  It is frightening.  Love and hugs to you all :wub:

• Moderators

My sister won't watch the news or anything depressing, a kind of "bury your head in the sand" reaction, but I'm not that way, I want to know what's going on.

• Members

I would rather know what is going on in the world around me also. Even if something happens on the other side of the world, it does have a ripple effect. The hurricanes, earthquakes, and wild fires are going to affect a large part of our lives in many ways.

• Members

I can't either. I was reading the news this morning and read an article that said the hurricane season is only half over. No one needs to see more hurricanes.

• Moderators

OMG, no!  We can't have any more hurricanes!  If we don't have another one for many years it will be too soon!  I'm still feeling very sorry for the people in Puerto Rico.  No electricity for six months?!  No fresh water?  How can they live?  I wish all our countries could take them in until their country is inhabitable again.  I can't imagine...

• Members
On 9/25/2017 at 5:08 PM, KMB said:

The whole world needs saving. Besides donating to reputable agencies, the best we can do is pray.

You said the best thing anyone can do - PRAY!

Archived