Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

horrible guilt and shame

Maria9

• Members
On 11/2/2017 at 2:03 PM, KayC said:

I've had a lot of losses in my life, but 11 days after my husband died, I believe it was God that led me to a refrigerator magnet that read, "Find Joy in every day" and I bought it.  It changed my life.  People tell me you can't, but I know better because I've lived it the last 12 years.  You have to LOOK for joy to find it.  The sorrow doesn't need looking for, it finds you, but the joy needs ferreted out.  Oh it's not like the joy "before"...don't compare!  Recognize and acknowledge the least little thing that is good that comes your way!  For me it might be something as innocuous as a stranger letting me merge in traffic, or someone holding the door open for me.  Seeing deer in my backyard.  A rainbow (there was a triple rainbow amidst a tremendous thunder/lightening storm at the moment my husband died).  A hummingbird (they were special to us).  A phone call from a friend or my sisters.  A check in the mail that was just what I needed.  The list in endless.  It's not about the thing, it's about ACKNOWLEDGING it.  To do so is to begin to live in the present and not miss what IS for lack of what ISN'T.  We can't change what ISN'T anymore, but we can live what IS now.  It's a practice, a way of life, indeed, an art.  Living in the present.  Being present.  This is the way back to life.

It is an art indeed. To be learned and practiced. Not to miss what IS for lack of what ISN'T. At the moment, it  is the hardest art of all to learn. Yearning and pain keep the heart stuck to what isn't anymore. But you're right, this is the way back to life. And thank you for this.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
11 hours ago, AJWCat said:

I have had very few losses at this point. My husband's father was the worst. And have not many pets, only 2 as an adult until our most recent cat which made 3. 

The first few weeks without my cat I couldn't believe - it I wanted nothing more than to change it. Living with what IS, which is where I have finally come, is a practice and art for sure. 

I have had very few losses too, thankfully .Some people and some pets. But I've never experienced this pain before , this void, this crumbling of my life. I have a long way to go towards acceptance of what is. But you've reached this place and I'm glad for you. Like KayC you've walked through the pain to the other side. This is an art in itself, an art of surviving .

• Members

I have to get this off my chest......When my kitty died I buried her in my garden. I dug the hole myself and I just put her in the ground. Then I covered her body one handful of earth at a time. It didn't occur to me at the time to wrap her in a cloth or put her in a box. I was in shock and crying my heart out .And now I feel I didn't honor her, she should have had a better burial. Looking back , I wish I could have buried her in a little coffin. But I was unprepared for her death, till the end I was hoping,against hope, that she would recover.                 My kitty, please forgive me.

Every day the list of things I didn't do right grows longer and longer.....

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Maria9 said:

Like KayC you've walked through the pain to the other side.

I'm not sure there IS an "other side" this side of eternity...we learn to live with it and do our best with it is all.  But always the missing them goes on.  Just yesterday I was telling some friends about my "King George" (cat, of course!), he was 19 when I lost him (cancer) and it's been over 11 years he's been gone...but he's still on my mind and in my heart.  And Fluffy, he's been gone about 19 years now (dog)...and Skye (granddoggy that lived with me half his life), he's been gone over four years...we still think about them, still miss them.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Maria9 said:

I have to get this off my chest......When my kitty died I buried her in my garden. I dug the hole myself and I just put her in the ground. Then I covered her body one handful of earth at a time. It didn't occur to me at the time to wrap her in a cloth or put her in a box. I was in shock and crying my heart out .And now I feel I didn't honor her, she should have had a better burial. Looking back , I wish I could have buried her in a little coffin. But I was unprepared for her death, till the end I was hoping,against hope, that she would recover.                 My kitty, please forgive me.

Every day the list of things I didn't do right grows longer and longer.....

You didn't think of it, please forgive yourself.  Tell her how special she is to you.  Maybe plant some flowers or a tree there, it's not too late to have something commemorating her and honoring her.

• Members

I did plant some flowers, crocuses. and I put a stone there. And I always talk to her. I hope she can hear me.

• Members

This a poem I wrote,in her memory.

LOSS

This is a desert in human shape

grey sand, grey sky and broken rocks.

Searching in vain for the oasis

which once was

your thunderous purring

your luminous eyes

your fluffy chest

your pink nose

and your white socks.

In vain I feel the sand

trying to find

the warm beating of your heart.

It's just the hands of time

striking emptily, pointlessly

now and forever.

The hands will always search

The footsteps will always seek

and the rocks will always cut.

• Members

It is a beautiful poem. Sad. :( I know how bad you are feeling. 

Do not forget your other kitties and people. You need to give and get their love so you feel better! 

I am glad you shared about burying your kitty in the garden. Get it all off your chest. There is no dishonor or lack of love. First, like me, I was totally out of mind, not thinking too - I would have done exactly the same thing. But also, the idea that she will go into the earth - her soul-spirit with you and around you but the body is nourishing the earth. That is how it is supposed to be I believe. It is one big life cycle.

Maria, we are moving back to the city where we lived with our cat for 4 years. I think to myself why did we ever leave? We could still be there all this time and have our cat. I second guess all the time. Our decisions caused his death. He'd be with us now. So I know you have a long list. As do I. We have to work on not doing this to ourselves though. Keep working on forgiving yourself as will I. I too, have started to talk to our cat, my heart aches to have him back. It helps a little. All my best to you as always!    

• Members

AJWCat, thank you so much, your words made me feel such relief...It hurts so much to imagine we have wronged our pets in any way, because we can not undo it.

Don't do this to yourself either...Even if you hadn't moved, something else could have happened, you can never know.    Yes, we both have to work on this, it is hard!

This aching  to have them back...:( I know,it never ends. But talking to them does bring some relief.A part of me believes they are still by our side.

I hope you soon find yourself safely home. I wish you strength and hope!

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

I'm not sure there IS an "other side" this side of eternity...we learn to live with it and do our best with it is all.  But always the missing them goes on.  Just yesterday I was telling some friends about my "King George" (cat, of course!), he was 19 when I lost him (cancer) and it's been over 11 years he's been gone...but he's still on my mind and in my heart.  And Fluffy, he's been gone about 19 years now (dog)...and Skye (granddoggy that lived with me half his life), he's been gone over four years...we still think about them, still miss them.

KayC I didn't see your post earlier. What I had in mind was that pain has two sides, a self-destructive, self-defeating side , where it swallows you ,and a side where you have learned to co-exist with your pain and continue to live.

I am so sorry for your sweet pets :( . We will always miss them.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Maria9 said:

a side where you have learned to co-exist with your pain and continue to live.

That's where I am...It's been 12 1/2 years since my husband died and there is not a day go by but what I miss him.  It's changed everything about my life.  I've learned to carry my grief inside of me, it is my constant companion, not only for him, but for all of those I've lost.  The older I get, the more losses I carry.

• Members

I have to learn this too KayC. It is so hard, because one side of me just doesn't want to go on....but I guess there is no other way to live.

• Moderators

It's especially when we don't feel like going on that we must make the effort.  There are still times I don't feel like it, but there's no way through this but one foot in front of the other.

• Members
16 hours ago, Maria9 said:

I have to learn this too KayC. It is so hard, because one side of me just doesn't want to go on....but I guess there is no other way to live.

I felt that so often through this process. Not that I would end it myself but a hopelessness, I just didn't care anymore so I totally understand. We will make it through the grief like KayC said, one foot in front of the other. 

• Members

I hit the 2 month mark today. It is so strange.Yesterday i've been crying a lot but today I feel nothing. A numbness, a sense of unreality, as if I'm in a dream. It is somehow scary.

• Moderators

Grief seems surreal sometimes, especially in the early part of it.  Try not to let the numbers get to you, every day is hard, but it gets easier eventually as we adjust to our new reality.

• Members

Thinking about you Maria at 2 months. Some days are like that... you are numb, other days you feel pretty good (I hope you do) and then, probably like me, you wonder sometimes if you have made any progress at all. I know your grief. :( I hope you are doing okay. 

• Members
17 hours ago, KayC said:

Grief seems surreal sometimes, especially in the early part of it.  Try not to let the numbers get to you, every day is hard, but it gets easier eventually as we adjust to our new reality.

Thank you KayC, "surreal"  is a very appropriate word ,especially as you watch the world going on around you as if nothing has changed.

11 hours ago, AJWCat said:

Thinking about you Maria at 2 months. Some days are like that... you are numb, other days you feel pretty good (I hope you do) and then, probably like me, you wonder sometimes if you have made any progress at all. I know your grief. :( I hope you are doing okay. 

It is exactly  like this AJWCat,  like a circle or a spiral  containing phases.....Sometimes you move into the next phase within the same day, or within hours. There is progress,there has to be , but it's not linear, it has many ups and downs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      It is a long journey. Thinking about you too.:wub:                                                                                                                                                                                                               

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Maria9 said:

There is progress,there has to be , but it's not linear, it has many ups and downs.  

Oh so true!  I feel in my grief journey it has been like riding waves...not trying to squelch the grief, but going through it, the ups, the downs, it's all part of it.  It's necessary to let ourselves sit with our grief in order for us to fully process it.  And this can take much longer than others realize.

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

It's necessary to let ourselves sit with our grief in order for us to fully process it. 

This is so true . There can be no healing otherwise, I think. No matter how long it takes. People who are close to me, though they respect my feelings, are bewildered by the fact that I still "have not gotten over it". I understand that it is unsettling for them but I cannot pretend.

• Moderators

Of course you can't pretend, nor should you have to.  It's been 12 1/2 years since I lost my husband and I'm here to tell you, loss is not something you "get over" but rather something you learn to live with and carry inside of you.  We learn to go about our day without mentioning it unduly because people really don't want to hear about it, I don't want to be Debbie Downer but it's there inside of us.  And if we're lucky we have one person in our life we can occasionally talk to about our feelings, for me it's my sister, Peggy.  I can talk to her about anything, she's my best friend.  I did have my friend Virgie, but she moved to TX, we visit on the phone once in a while but oh how I miss sharing with her over a cappuccino!  

• Members

I am glad you have your sister and your friend.I don't have any siblings but I have a very dear childhood friend who will listen to me anytime. He lives in England but he visits here whenever he can and we also talk via skype. It is very healing for me and he has been very supportive and understanding, he has also lost his cat.        

I know, and people don't, there is no "getting over ". The pain is because of the love. You cannot "get over" loving them. They are a piece of your heart.                                     

• Moderators

My sister hasn't had as many pets as I have, but she understands...she lost her dog Polly years ago and she will never forget her and misses her still, she has pictures of her up on the wall and likes to remember her effervescent spirit.

• Members

Tough day today. Rain, overcast sky. I want to bawl my heart out, but I am afraid I'll scare my family. I see my kitty so clearly in my mind. Will I see her so clearly in 5, 10,20 years from now? I am almost fifty, how long do I have to live without her? I am afraid that time will erase her from my mind. I don't want this to happen. I have so few pictures of her, I never thought that she would not be in my life. I hope my kids have pictures of her in their cameras. Please God, don't let me forget her.

I know this is a depressing post but some moments are just so hard....

• Members

It's not a depressing post, totally get it... it just is how it is for you at this time. Try to see if they have some photos and maybe they can email them to you!

Like you... I don't want to forget my kitty either!

• Members

Thank you...Even the more elusive things, like the sound of her voice and her purring, the feel of her fur, I hope I remember these forever, they're so precious. I never knew the meaning of "precious" until now. KayC says we won't forget and I believe her. It is only at the bad moments that I doubt it.

• Moderators
On 11/16/2017 at 7:28 AM, Maria9 said:

Tough day today. Rain, overcast sky. I want to bawl my heart out, but I am afraid I'll scare my family. I see my kitty so clearly in my mind. Will I see her so clearly in 5, 10,20 years from now? I am almost fifty, how long do I have to live without her? I am afraid that time will erase her from my mind. I don't want this to happen. I have so few pictures of her, I never thought that she would not be in my life. I hope my kids have pictures of her in their cameras. Please God, don't let me forget her.

I know this is a depressing post but some moments are just so hard....

You will not forget her, not anything about her.  To the other side, time is no more so they don't have the same sense of endless waiting that we do.  I imagine them in big open fields, playing with other creatures, safe, happy, and they will be there to greet us when we cross over.  

• Members

You sent it this to me, but it's beautiful, no matter how many times I've watched it.Thank you for the video and the reassurance....:wub:

• Members

Since I don't have many pictures of my kitty,  I decided to try and sketch her .To put to paper all those images of her that are on my mind, in case they fade with time (I can't get over this fear). I have taken some art lessons, so I hope they don't turn out that bad . I made my first attempt today. I looked at her pictures for reference. That was the hardest part, because they made me miss her so much more. I hope I will be able to do this....

• Members

That's so nice Maria. I have a fair amount of pictures and 1 little video I took one time, of my cat kneading in his bed. Can't see his face though. The first several weeks I could not even look at pictures, now I seem to a lot. :( i hope you enjoy the artistic process and that it helps you.

• Moderators

How wonderful that you are able to sketch!  I am not a picture person, I never take the time and patience to learn to take good pictures and I know that's a regret I'll live with, I don't have many pictures of my animals.  My best "pictures" are the ones inside my head and my heart.

• Members

Thank you both!

AJWCat this is a video I so much wish I had , my kitty purring and kneading the comforter:(

KayC the same goes for me. I always enjoy the moment forgetting to take pictures and I regret it too. The pictures that are in my mind and my heart, these are the ones I want to draw..

It is harder than I thought. Drawing her and not crying....Confronting her loss in this way ....I will try not to give up.

• Members

I can't do it either KayC. I tried but it's just too painful...maybe it's too soon.

• Moderators

You tried, maybe someday.  My husband died 12 1/2 years ago.  I bought a scrapbook and some charms that were meaningful, like one of his fishing hat, etc. and intended to put together a scrapbook with pictures.  I've made cards for over 30 years and well know how to scrapbook.  But I can't do it.  Not even yet.  I have kept the stuff, maybe someday.  But it's 12 1/2 years!  How long before I am able to!

• Members

I totally understand you...:(  If we never manage to do it's ok. Like you said we have those pictures in our hearts and our minds, these our scrapbooks.

• Members
20 hours ago, KayC said:

You tried, maybe someday.  My husband died 12 1/2 years ago.  I bought a scrapbook and some charms that were meaningful, like one of his fishing hat, etc. and intended to put together a scrapbook with pictures.  I've made cards for over 30 years and well know how to scrapbook.  But I can't do it.  Not even yet.  I have kept the stuff, maybe someday.  But it's 12 1/2 years!  How long before I am able to!

At least you have his things even if they are not "organized" - beyond that, who knows. Maybe someday. So sorry Kay. (I sure can't give advice about the loss of a husband, can barely survive my cat!)

• Members
Stella Angelika

Dear Maria, 

Firstly thank you so much for starting this group and sharing your story. I have recently discovered this site and it is quite frankly amazing to read everyones stories and see how people are supporting each other. I also lost my kitten a while back and it was the most pain I think I have ever felt. I wrote a song at the time, which really helped me to process my grief. I am sharing it as much as possible on here just in the case that it may help anyone like it did for me. It is a horrible horrible thing to lose a pet and not everyone understands. So if my work can be of any help I would be so happy to have served! The link is below. All my love, Stella x

On 9/14/2017 at 7:11 PM, Maria9 said:

Hello,I'm new here. A month ago I noticed that my cat had lost her appetite.I took her to my vet and she examined my cat,finding nothing wrong.She said it was probably because of the heat

wave.Then my vet left for vacation.My cat continued not eating and I stupidly assumed it was still because of the heat.I waited too long.By then she looked sick and I found a vet clinic.I took

my cat there.They found she had FIP, which is a fatal virus.They sent me home because there "it was a very sick cat and they  could do nothing for her" except for an antibiotic injection I was shocked.Since then I had been trying to save her life with antibiotics, medicine and syringe feeding.I didn't leave her side,day or night,showing her all the love I could. For a while she seemed  to be getting a little better,but then she got worse. My vet returned and took her for intravenous feeding and serum. My agony grew as I saw her not getting better but I was still hoping and praying

for a miracle..I took her home again for a few days so she could be with us ,in her familiar environment.I kept her home for a couple of days and then I returned her to the vet's to drain the fluid from her little belly.I visited her twice a day there, stroking her,kissing her ,telling her how much I loved her. Last time I saw her it was Saturday noon.The vet's is closed for visits on Sat.evening

and Sundays.Monday morning when I went to visit her they told me she had passed during the night. I cannot eat,cannot sleep,cannot function.I cry all the time.I miss her so much.I know getting her to the vet  clinic earlier would not have changed the outcome,she was doomed,but I feel I neglected her and betrayed her by my stupidity and laziness.I hope she has forgiven me but I cannot forgive myself.

• Moderators

Wow, amazing song.  Is it you singing it?  Incredible voice!  Thank you for sharing.  It's amazing the different things people do that help them through their grief.  

• Members

I agree, Stella your song is  wonderful  ! And so full of feeling.... It made me cry. It expresses my own feelings so well. I wondered too if it's you singing it, I love this voice. Thank you for sharing it !

I read your other post too, about your kitten and my heart breaks for you...the pain of losing them is unbearable. It is very helpful to be able to express it in some way. I did by writing here. I am grateful that I found this forum . When I first started posting I was in a terrible state but the support and understanding I received from people here were enormous! I am still amazed when I think about it...So it has become a safe and solid place to express my thoughts and feelings. We all understand each other and we can support each other, maybe more than friends or family. Pet loss is so painful yet many people do not understand how we feel. And because of this we often have to hide our feelings.        But here we can be ourselves....so post here too when you feel like it. I hope you have found some healing since your loss.

• Members

Hard day yesterday. Today too. I've been missing her terribly....I wrote this.

Autumn Leaves

The sun so bright on a clear sky.

The leaves are falling, a golden rain.

But you're not here.

I look for your little face at the garden gate

your white paws climbing through.

I would call your name

and you would come running

up to me.

Every day I look at the gate

expecting to see you.

There will come another day

like this one,bright and golden .

The years will have fallen

like so many leaves.

I will be staring at a different gate.

I will see your little face,

your white paws climbing through.

I will call your name

and you'll come running

up to me.

• Moderators

Thanks for sharing that, it is beautiful.  I feel that way about Miss Mocha and she had white paws and a little face too.

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

Thanks for sharing that, it is beautiful.  I feel that way about Miss Mocha and she had white paws and a little face too.

Thank you KayC...I am so sorry about your miss Mocha...Sometimes I just want to accelerate the years so we'll be back together again.

3 hours ago, AJWCat said:

Aw so sweet. I feel your pain and loss Maria. :(

Thank you AJWCat ,I am so sorry about your loss too...Some days are ok but some are so hard, the missing is so intense...

• Members

Omgosh, I lost two of cats within two weeks of each other from something similar. Della, 10 years old, and Stinker 13 years old, both had FIV and Leukemia and I had no idea. It's been 4 months and I'm still mad at myself over not knowing and grieving for the loss of two of my beautiful cats. :( 

• Members

I am so sorry! I understand how you feel! When cats are sick and they are a part of your family it hurts you a lot! 
I want everyone to know, when cat sick he is not eating. You should force feed your cat. They are dying first because of anemia and not because of the disease they have.

ALWAYS FORCE FEED YOUR CAT! Can food blended with water and feed through the syringe! 

Please let me ask everyone to look at the campaign for Tiger Cat!  below 
https://www.gofundme.com/TigerKidneyFailure
and ask you to help as you can!
This Christmas season, please help make it possible for Tiger to receive the supplements, fluids and meds he needs by donating just a small amount each. It adds up quick and this little guy can continue to live life with a good quality of life. It's the gift of giving that counts.
Tiger is a beautiful cat. I rescued him and many other cats from the streets in Ukraine and brought them all with me here to USA. I have a mini shelter you can name it so.
Tiger suffering from a Chronic Kidney Failure and the vet Bills are just enormous. It drop me out of my budget. That is why I am reaching out for help and hope that there are souls in this world who's will understand and be supportive.
TAG and SHARE PLEASE!
Thanks everyone and sorry if this is not a kind of topics you want to read here.
Sincerely,
Iriska and Tiger

_DSC5430.jpg

IMG_5928.jpg

• Moderators

Iriska,

thank you for your bit of advice to force feed if our cats are not eating.

Karla,

I'm sorry for your suffering, very sorry for the loss of your two cats.

• Members

Karla I am so sorry for your loss of your two kitties. Losing one is devastating, I cannot imagine how it is to lose two of them at the same time...my heart goes out to you. Keep posting here if it helps you. I understand about being mad at yourself , many of us go through this, it is a part of grieving, but do not beat yourself up. I don;t know about FIV or feline leukemia (my kitty had FIP) but like I said in my other post some cat diseases are very  difficult to detect .And even if they can be diagnosed curing them is difficult or impossible. We are human, we are not perfect but we always do the best we can under the circumstances.. I am sure you gave your kitties all your love and you cared for them as best as you could and I am sure they knew this.

Iriska thank you for the advice, but whether one should force feed a cat depends on the circumstances and the disease they have. We all do whatever we can to make our pets better. If force feeding them will help them in getting better or save them, it makes sense. If a cat has a terminal disease and is dying it is questionable whether we should force feed them. In such a case it is something we do for us, not for them. It is like force feeding a person who is dying. My kitty had an incurable autoimmune disease and I kept trying to make her eat, she only ate the gravy of canned food. I force fed her only during the last week and now I regret it because she hated it and it didn't change anything.

Archived