Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Why didn't I get a sign on my birthday?

12hannah12

• Members

Hello everyone

My dad died in July and I still can't believe it. It was my 26th birthday on Friday and I really wanted to have a sign from him to let me know that he was still with me on my birthday. I even talked to him the day before and asked that if it was possible he could send me a sign could he please please try because it would mean so much to me. But I got nothing. I'm not particularly religious but I do believe (or really want to believe) that our spirits do live on after we die and that we stay around with our loved ones. Believing in that has been the only thing to get me through the days. 

I know that maybe it was my fault that I didn't get a sign, I have severe anxiety so most of the time my head is so filled with worry that I'm probably completely closed off to things like that. 

Anyone who knows my dad knows that my mum and I and our little family were the most important things in his life, so I know that he must still be around if he's able to be because I know he wouldn't have left us. But why didn't he show me that he was around, especially on my birthday which was an incredibly hard day?

I guess I just wanted to put this on here and see if anyone else had any experience with signs or not getting signs, or if anyone has any beliefs as to why some people get them and some don't. 

Thank you for reading.

• Members

Dear Hannah,

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. I know its hard to go through your first birthday without him. I too have been asking for signs from my dad. And I would like to believe as you do that the spirit of our loved ones is watching over us. Reading others stories it does seem like some people are getting signs and even feel the presence of their loved ones. Hard to know sometimes but in my heart, I believe your dad is looking out for you. Maybe he did not know what type of sign to give. Something you would recognize without a doubt.

After my dad passed last year, I found a coin by the car, the light bulbs were going out in the house and at one point I thought I even heard foot steps in his room. Just last month, I asked for a sign and received an "I love you" text from an unknown number. Honestly,  I just don't know if they were from my dad or just a coincidence.

I hope others will share more.

• Members

HI Hannah, 

I'm so sorry for your loss. My Dad passed six months ago and I miss him everyday. I do believe in signs. I was looking for signs in every bird, butterfly and breeze. A hummingbird would fly in my path and I was like "is that you?" I wanted so much to know for sure he was OK and still with me in a way. I am not sure if anything was a sign but maybe in time when I am ready, my dad will send one. Although this did not happen to me, it happened to a co-worker, it's hard not to believe there is something to it. 

This co-worker lost her dad in an accident. He died on the scene, but she always wondered if he was in pain before he died. That was her big thing, "did it hurt?" Well about three years later she was working in a hospital as a nurse and went in to give meds. She made small talk with the patient and nothing was out of the ordinary. A few minutes in, the patient suddenly looked a little weird and tilted her head and stopped talking. From here the conversation went like this: 

Patient: Is your dad still with us? 

Nurse: You mean here in the hospital? 

Patient: No I mean has he passed? 

Nurse: Yes he died. why? 

Patient: Because he is standing right beside you and he said to tell you "it did not hurt."

The nurse, I know said it gave her such peace and she feels her dad is OK and she will see him again. 

While I have yet to have such a definitive sign, I hope one day I will. I hope the same for you Hannah. 

• Members

Thank you both so much. Reader, your experiences sound amazing especially the I love you text. Missdad, that is such a special experience for your Co worker to have. When I hear of things like what the two of you have said it's really hard not to believe in it all. 

I've been thinking about it so much lately that I've actually booked myself in to see a medium. I know a lot of people think they are a load of rubbish, and I know that there are a lot of fakes out there. But this one has come highly recommend and I just feel like it's something I need to do, even if I get nothing out of it, at least I will have tried it. Maybe I'm being naive and desperate, but I just want to try anything that may give me a little comfort. 

I'd love to hear of anyone else's experiences. 

• Members

Dear Hannah,

I haven't tried a medium but I am very curious about it. I would love to hear how your experience went.

I know some mediums exploit people's grief for profit, but I feel some might be legitimate.  I guess it depends on people's experiences. Be careful. Please let us know how you feel afterwards.

I hear you. I too want to maintain a connection with my dad too. I have seen white butterflies around the house and at his cemetery plot, but I can't be sure.

I don't know if there are any mediums in my area that I could trust. I will have to consider this more.

Take care.

• Members

I will definitely let you know how I get on. It's not for a few weeks but I'll post back here afterwards. I would love to connect with my dad through it, but I'm not going to set up any expectations. I'll just go in with an open mind and see what happens. 

• Members

Hi everyone

Just to update. I ended up not going to see the medium as I got really anxious about it and just felt I wasn't ready for it. But my mum went to see one a few days ago. She said it was amazing. My dad came through and so did my grandma, the medium started off by saying to my mum 'your husband has been calling you' which my mum knew because she had heard it in her head a few times. But when she asked the medium what he was calling her by the medium was able to tell my mum the nickname my dad called her (which is completely different to her actual name and only very close family members know about it). Also when she spoke about me she used the nickname my dad called me, again a very unusual name and only very close family know about it. 

There were many other things, she told her memories of the three of us together when I was little, one in particular she said was my dad with his guitar sitting by the fire and both of us singing. She told my mum the song we were singing but my mum couldn't remember if this particular song was one we used to sing, so she asked me later what was the song we used to sing together and I told her the same song that the medium told her she could hear (not a particularly common song).

She also said how my dad had helped me with a decision lately and had stopped me from going somewhere that I wasn't ready for yet - this was obviously when I was deciding whether to go and see the medium or not (I was in a dilemma for days and couldn't decide and even asked for him to help me). I realise now that I need to be in a stronger place before I go and see one myself as the whole thing was very overwhelming and emotional for my mum and she is a lot stronger than me.

When she was talking about my grandma, she described perfectly a necklace that my mum has that my grandma used to wear and that she thinks should be given to me, it's a very unusual necklace! 

There were so many other things and to be honest alot to process, but the messages of reassurance and love that came through have been so comforting. 

I hope this helps someone!

• Members

Thank-you for sharing. I have been wondering if it all stops when we die. Your story tells me that something still goes on. There is life after death in whatever form it is.Thanks

• Members

Hello everyone I am very new to this forum.  My mother passed away August 23rd 2017.   Is this what is referred to  on here as the "Angel Date" ?   

Archived