Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Help for siblings dealing with loss of brother in car wreck one month ago

MamaC

• Members

I am hoping someone here can help me find ways to help my kids.  My stepson - age 20 - was killed in a horrific car wreck one month ago.  He has left behind 7 siblings/step-siblings that are really hurting.  Their ages are 27, 21, 20, 18, 18, 18 and 15.  The day after his funeral, 3 of the kids had to leave for college 5 hours away from us.  I get phone calls or texts every night from at least one of the 7 kids.  All are in pain, shock, disbelief and utter sadness.  My husband and his ex are in their own profound pain, and I know I need to be the one to help all the other kids since they are unable to right now, and I am just praying that someone here can give me some ideas on what has been helpful for you, what NOT to say or do, or just anything to help us try to get through to the days where we can at least breathe again.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Members

I went through this last year and what really helped was just someone being there for me . Someone to listen.  There's  really nothing you can say especially if only one month has passed. :/. sorry you all are going through this.

• Members

Dear MamaC,

My deepest condolences and sympathies. I'm very sorry for your loss. The pain and sorrow is so raw right now. I think the best any of us can do is just listen and try to validate and acknowledge their feelings. I have found these websites helpful in getting more information: What's Your Grief and the Grief Healing Blog.

There are many resources in the community and through church. If they need to, don't be afraid to find grief counselling or a grief support group.

Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.

• Members

Thank you, Reader.  I will check the other websites as well.  I have found info for young kids, but not so much for young adults. And with them having to leave for college right away, it is even harder because I am not there. :(  I am grateful for cell phones, that is for sure.  I appreciate your condolences and welcome any and all advice.  Thank you.

Archived