Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Two Months...

TooDevastated

• Members
On 20.09.2017 at 8:28 PM, Azipod said:

We are waking up to a nightmare each morning.  Wait, we live a nightmare day in and day out.

I'm in my 10th week.  I just started crying when I crawl into bed at night.   It feels so terrible to go to bed and not be there with your partner.   When I look over to the other side of my bed, I can still see and feel how it was like before when she was here.  But now she is not.   The sadness consumes me and I cannot understand why I have to go through this, everyday.

I miss her terribly.

I heard once that in dream state time feels a lot longer. I wish this was a long terrible dream and I'd wake up one day!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
On 20.09.2017 at 8:25 PM, Azipod said:

Yes, I hate that feeling so much.   Lately, there's been so many world events. There's been so many developments around our lifestyle.  There's been so many new things I see each day.     I so wished that I could tell my wife and share with her these experiences.   I want to experience them together, with her.   But the reality is that I can't do that.  The reality is so so sad.

Thinking about these miserable feelings sometimes makes me want to throw up.  My gut hates it.

I want to ask him what he thinks about the latest response from N. Korea or Trump or hurricanes and then I realise we cant even talk about the bloody news now! He followed the news so smartly, reading different newpapers and comments from different countries so all I had to do was ask him whats going on. I never needed to do the hard work of figuring out whats going on. It's basically everything that I miss about him!  not just a few things..

• Members
On 20.09.2017 at 8:59 PM, KMB said:

I was just reading your above post you just sent while I was writing this. There is nothing wrong with you wanting to be with your wife. We all want to be with our soul mates. But, we can't. Not until it is our turn. The pain does get deeper as time goes on. I think that is due to the reality seeping in.  I felt the same way in those early times. My roughest point was around the 6 month mark. The shock had faded away. Denial was fading and the stark reality that my husband was indeed physically gone and not coming back was hard hitting. Grieving is a very long, painful process that can take years to evolve from.  My heart goes out to you. Keep expressing yourself here. We all care about each other.

I wish we could know for how long we must carry this pain in our chests. I'm pretty sure cant do this for 50 years!

• Members
23 hours ago, Azipod said:

These questions really hit home for me.   I've grieved a lot.  But I've only touched the surface on thinking about what was going on in my wife's head as things were coming to an end.  It's scary and sad for me to think about how she may have been experiencing.  Those are actually thoughts that I'm not ready to visit.  Presently, I pretty much tell myself that she's not here and I don't have to worry about what she may have went through in her mind...... but the truth is that I'm really just running away from the thoughts.   One day, I'll be able to process those thoughts and see what I get from it.    This entire ordeal is just too much.   I am so sad and I am begging for something to take my life.

They are so painful to think about but I cant help asking them! I had a terrible stomach pain last week and I was begging god to just take me and not let me stay in this misery any longer. Then the disturbing part of my mind started asking... if I'm hurting so bad and surviving it, how bad he must have been hurt to die? What kind of pain he had to endure until he was gone? It's all too much to think about I know. 

• Members
12 hours ago, LoveGoli said:

Actually I got phone call one of my friend one day and she said everyone wants to talk to you but we all don't have any idea what to say, Goli was the ideal person and we all are feeling so sorry for him. After that she never called nor other friends, neither did I because I am not that situation to call anyone, even I do not pick call when someone call me. Sometime I want people near me but at the same time I don't want any, I just want my husband nothing else.

Today, again Friday, one more long weekend without him. Weekend scared me now because I have no idea how I will survive my days. 

I'm so sorry you have to go through weekends alone and on top of all this, you'll have to worry about a wedding coming up!

A friend of mines has asked me if I'd like to go and help her pick her wedding dress yesterday. That made me feel terrible for all the things I will never have. Dont get me wrong. I'm glad that she is happy and all... It was just another reminder of the things I'll never get to have. Him down the aisle smiling at me as I walk closer.... Long gone dreams..

• Members
On 21.09.2017 at 5:07 PM, KayC said:

I feel for all of you still in those early stages where you wake up to get hit with all of this rude awakening all over again.  For me I have long since quit expecting him to be here.  I know he's not going to call, I know he's not walking through that door, I know I'm sleeping alone.  What is worse, the rude awakenings, being repeated shocked, or actually adjusting to this change...having adjusted is easier on us in one sense, but incomprehensible in another sense.

It's so hard to be in our shoes Kay. But I honestly cannot imagine what it must be like for you! Quitting to expect him to be there, knowing you wont get a call from him, actually having accepted all the nasty sides of this loss.... It sounds just as painful. 

• Members
41 minutes ago, TooDevastated said:

wish we could know for how long we must carry this pain in our chests. I'm pretty sure cant do this for 50 years!

Grieving has no rules or time frame. We learn to carry the sadness with us, the rest of our life. It helps NOT to think about down the road and how are we going to feel. Don't think about 50 years or your own longevity. We don't know anything beyond today. That is why the best advice is to take one day at a time. We don't know about tomorrow and there is no point in worrying about what we cannot know. All we need to do, is today.

• Members
8 hours ago, Azipod said:

Fridays are the worst day in many ways.  It's the start of another weekend, where we are not able to spend time together.  It's another weekend, to go into long moments of darkness coupled with sadness.   Friday also marks the end of another week, without our partner.    With that, it reminds me how purposeless my life is with this never ending repeating cycle.

Yes weekend are so bad now, full of loneliness. All are going for wedding and i am at home, what could be my life, and now this is totally opposite. I don't know why my all happiness taken away from me, I can't stop myself to think Why. 

• Members
6 hours ago, TooDevastated said:

I wish we could know for how long we must carry this pain in our chests. I'm pretty sure cant do this for 50 years!

I wish i know how long so that I can count my days but now i dont know how long. I can't do this even few months this is too much for me.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, TooDevastated said:

You can't do this for 50 years as it is right now, but it will change.  I know there's no way for you to see that right now, but it does.  The day he died, the early years and beyond, and now, they are very different, my anxiety was extremely high then, and now it may hit now and then but nothing like it was then.  Plus I was in shock, I had so much adjusting to do, I'm used to living alone now.  It may get old and I get lonely at times, but it's not the panic it was in the beginning.  I used to dread nights and weekends because that had been our time and now every day is pretty much the same, I don't fear weekends anymore, but neither do I look forward to them as I did when he was alive.  

• Members
On 23.09.2017 at 3:35 PM, KayC said:

You can't do this for 50 years as it is right now, but it will change.  I know there's no way for you to see that right now, but it does.  The day he died, the early years and beyond, and now, they are very different, my anxiety was extremely high then, and now it may hit now and then but nothing like it was then.  Plus I was in shock, I had so much adjusting to do, I'm used to living alone now.  It may get old and I get lonely at times, but it's not the panic it was in the beginning.  I used to dread nights and weekends because that had been our time and now every day is pretty much the same, I don't fear weekends anymore, but neither do I look forward to them as I did when he was alive.  

What if it doesnt change? What if I stay like this? The fact that the love of my life has died will not change and will struck my head and crush my heart everyday. 

I feel like a computer that has gone on to an error loop. My brain is stuck at 'Bruce died of an heart attack'. I can't process it and I can't think about anything else. ALL day EVERYDAY, my head repeats that sentence without being able to comprehend it.  

• Moderators
20 hours ago, TooDevastated said:

What if it doesnt change? What if I stay like this? The fact that the love of my life has died will not change

I thought the exact same thoughts when I was new in my grief.  Give yourself time to process your grief, it takes longer than a few months, it takes years, but yes, you will adjust little by little, so minutely as to seem imperceptible at first and then one day when you look back you will see it.
Yes you will continue to miss him, but it will not carry the same intensity of pain that it now does.  I know it's hard to fathom, but amazingly enough, we adjust to even the unthinkable.  

You are still processing...

You are where you can expect to be at this point in time.

• Members

TooDevastated,  We have all been there, are there. Be patient with yourself. Our grieving is a process that can take a very long time to adapt to. The intensity, our thoughts, our emotions, do change over time. If our bodies and minds were not equipped to handle grief, we would have not lasted as long as we have. The grieving does change little by little, over much time, due to our patience and our efforts at the work that grieving requires. You are still fresh in this, and like Kay said, you are where you can expect to be.  (HUGS)

• Members
On 9/24/2017 at 2:25 PM, TooDevastated said:

What if it doesnt change? What if I stay like this? The fact that the love of my life has died will not change and will struck my head and crush my heart everyday. 

I feel like a computer that has gone on to an error loop. My brain is stuck at 'Bruce died of an heart attack'. I can't process it and I can't think about anything else. ALL day EVERYDAY, my head repeats that sentence without being able to comprehend it.  

I've heard another describe the grief process using the computer error loop analogy before too.

They say that the human BODY is meant for bonding.  When we lose our loved ones, that physical bonding is severed.   As a result, we then feel sad, lonely, empty, etc.

The BRAIN is wired for what we train it to do.  When the Brain sees that we are with each person everyday, where we eat together, sleep together, talk together, and basically do everything together, then the brain expect us to do just that.   When we lose someone, and our relationship is severed, the Brain gets confused and it does not know what is going on.  So what the brain does is like what a computer does ... when there is a fatal error, it's just going to go ahead and reboot itself, expect what it is wired to expect, then it fails, and then it reboots itself and the whole process repeats itself.   That is why we keep getting flashbacks and we re-visit our trauma.  

• Members
15 minutes ago, Azipod said:

I've heard another describe the grief process using the computer error loop analogy before too.

They say that the human BODY is meant for bonding.  When we lose our loved ones, that physical bonding is severed.   As a result, we then feel sad, lonely, empty, etc.

The BRAIN is wired for what we train it to do.  When the Brain sees that we are with each person everyday, where we eat together, sleep together, talk together, and basically do everything together, then the brain expect us to do just that.   When we lose someone, and our relationship is severed, the Brain gets confused and it does not know what is going on.  So what the brain does is like what a computer does ... when there is a fatal error, it's just going to go ahead and reboot itself, expect what it is wired to expect, then it fails, and then it reboots itself and the whole process repeats itself.   That is why we keep getting flashbacks and we re-visit our trauma.  

Good explanation to understand human mind. 

• Members
On 24/09/2017 at 0:35 AM, KayC said:

I used to dread nights and weekends because that had been our time and now every day is pretty much the same, I don't fear weekends anymore, but neither do I look forward to them as I did when he was alive.  

This is where I'm at now.  I too would not have believed I would ever get used to living without my hubby, let alone get used to living by myself.  We are so distraught in the early months and adjustment occurs so gradually that don't realise it's happening. 

I now 'need' time alone in which to continue the grieving process, but I love having various friends come stay for a night or two, every two or three weeks.  And I still spend a couple of hours on the ph each day.  

A yearning to do some of the things  'we' used to enjoy, has also gradually awakened in me.  Grief attacks and meltdowns still occur without notice,  but not as often.  The 'tummy flipping over' sensation when I see or hear something that reminds me of him, or his death, still occurs often.  

Azipod - that is a very good explanation! 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Azipod said:

I haven't heard it explained like this before.  Makes sense!

• Members

I heard the computer mentioned before where a woman was talking about grieving.

When you are grieving there is a programme(like a computer programme) running in the background continuously,24 hrs/day.When somebody asks you : 'How are you feeling today' your answer could be very likely be that you burst out into tears.The person asking will apologise profusely,because they have made you sad and cry again.They have not made you sad,you are sad all day long;the computer programme is running all day long but it is not necessarily very visible.

Friends/relatives should not say sorry that they made you cry/sad.They did not make you cry.You are crying because you lost your loved one.And talking about that is good.You can never talk about it too much and crying also does not do any harm.

• Members
On 26.09.2017 at 6:44 AM, Azipod said:

Yes. But it is a lot more than this. What would you do if you travelled past and you were trying to get the attention of your past self in a subtle way or of someone that you know in the past? ( I am a sci fi geek so I do spend a lot of time dwelling on these stuff). Of all the scenarios I saw in films, I always thought I would throw a rock from far ahead when noone is looking. Pain always gets someones attention. 

What has happened... my boyfriend suddenly dying... It feels like its a signal from someone. Like a message from the universe to get my attention. Anything less wouldnt have put me on this 'error loop'. Now I feel like there is a crucial message that I have to interpret quickly and I have no idea because my mind cant function properly at the moment. I dont know if any of this makes any sense to anyone. 

Whats more...I am in an existential crisis and my former way of living and life purposes are no longer valid. 

I never thought grief could cause all of these... How lucky I was to never have suffered the loss of something loved dearly.

• Members
8 hours ago, TooDevastated said:

Whats more...I am in an existential crisis and my former way of living and life purposes are no longer valid. 

I never thought grief could cause all of these... How lucky I was to never have suffered the loss of something loved dearly.

I lost my father when I was 10 but that time I was so young so that was totally different after that I lost my grandfather and it was painful but damn this pain is totally out of the world. There is no comparison between other loses and loosing your partner. When you loose other people your partner always there to support you and now we lost our biggest support. He was  like oxygen for me and if I can't see him even for 15 min in home I just start looking for him but now I find myself walking dead body.

• Members

I lost my fiance suddenly on September 1st...not sure why yet but natural causes.   He was my person and I worked so hard and through so much in order to find him. I feel what you are feeling. Im annihilated...I do not feel like I have the capacity to get through this. The future just blew up...im 42...not young...not old.  I have so little energy to hope I can reshape my life in a way were Ill have room for joy amongst all this pain...I also have very little desire to.  I look for him everywhere trying to find a physical sense of him...his essence...something.  I had no idea this pain existed and I had no idea a human could cry so much.  The adrenalin is wearing off and im so tired...so so tired but I dont sleep well and eating is a chore.  Water is an afterthought.  I ask for him to come get me and I cant  take my life or I wont see him again.  I went back to work this week and got sent home to rest...but i cant.  I dont know what to say...just that I think I understand your pain.  Your person is gone and it is intolerable...

• Moderators

SRB,

I hope you're under the care of a doctor for your lack of sleep.  I made the mistake of turning down the sleep aid my doctor offered because I felt this was a permanent solution and I just needed to learn to live with it.  Yes and no.  I would have done myself a great service had I gotten the needed sleep to be able to function better, I did, after all, have to work in order to pay the bills.  I made it harder on myself by rejecting his help.

I realize you can't possibly see down the road when the intensity of the pain lessens, but it does.  I can't say when it will be as it's different for all of us, many factors being involved, our own personality, coping skills, how deep the relationship/love, our support system, how much grief work we do (grief counseling, grief support group, books on grief, articles on grief, journaling, art therapy, forums, etc.).  We need ample time to process our grief,none of this is quick or easy.  This is the hardest journey I've ever been on.  It is also exhausting.

• Members

SRB. My heart goes out to you. Losing our partner is the toughest, most painful event we will probably experience for the rest of our life. During the early weeks, months, we are inconsolable. We can barely function with the most mundane of daily life. Taking showers, eating, drinking water, paying bills. Everything requires a huge effort and is very draining. We get overwhelmed and exhausted with just doing one simple little thing. Even thinking in itself is exhausting. Sleeping----- some people can sleep for hours, a whole day. Then, there are the rest of us where sleep cannot be had. Reach out for help to any resources available to you. See your doctor for a sleep aid or anxiety meds if you need to. Reach out to family and friends when you need someone to talk to. Let them know what you need, even if someone could come to you and just sit with you for awhile. Grieving is such a hard process to go through and even harder to process without support of others.

• Members
13 hours ago, SRB said:

I lost my fiance suddenly on September 1st...not sure why yet but natural causes.   He was my person and I worked so hard and through so much in order to find him. I feel what you are feeling. Im annihilated...I do not feel like I have the capacity to get through this. The future just blew up...im 42...not young...not old.  I have so little energy to hope I can reshape my life in a way were Ill have room for joy amongst all this pain...I also have very little desire to.  I look for him everywhere trying to find a physical sense of him...his essence...something.  I had no idea this pain existed and I had no idea a human could cry so much.  The adrenalin is wearing off and im so tired...so so tired but I dont sleep well and eating is a chore.  Water is an afterthought.  I ask for him to come get me and I cant  take my life or I wont see him again.  I went back to work this week and got sent home to rest...but i cant.  I dont know what to say...just that I think I understand your pain.  Your person is gone and it is intolerable...

SRB, I am sorry that you are going through this grief journey.  Your loss is very fresh, and so is mine.  I remember vividly where I was during the 1st month I was into this.  I sought a lot of help here on the forum.  I did not neccesarily contributed, but reading about other losses and reading the discussions help a bit.  It is important to know that there is not one single thing that you can do to fix our troubles.  In other words, there is no magic pill.   You will have to find time to do everything and anything that sounds remotely possible.  You have to find what works for you.   

You mention that you were sent home from work --- does your employer offer an "Employee Assistance Program" where they can send you to several sessions of free psycho-therapy?  If so, I would highly suggest that you take advantage of the service.   If not, are you able to get counseling through your private health plan?  You may want to look into this.  Also, you should also see your family doctor to see what else they can do to help.  But know that your family doctor is not a grief expert so you won't get any real coaching there other than "you just need time."

Please update us frequently on how you are doing so we can provide some comforting advice.   There will be bad and OK days.   You will experience a lot of new feelings and emotions.  Dont feel shy to share them here.  We have all been through this and we come here to help.

• Members
15 hours ago, LoveGoli said:

I lost my father when I was 10 but that time I was so young so that was totally different after that I lost my grandfather and it was painful but damn this pain is totally out of the world. There is no comparison between other loses and loosing your partner. When you loose other people your partner always there to support you and now we lost our biggest support. He was  like oxygen for me and if I can't see him even for 15 min in home I just start looking for him but now I find myself walking dead body.

I guess it depends on the relationship you have with one another. I havent lost a parent but it surely wouldnt have hurt like this. Mum had a series of critical surgeries and chemo because of her cancer and I was preparing myself that she might pass away at some point. Life is so weird. She is as good as new and my perfectly healthy boyfriend is gone. 

• Moderators
19 hours ago, TooDevastated said:

I guess it depends on the relationship you have with one another.

That's true.  The deeper the love, the more entwined your lives were, the harder it can hit.  One loss doesn't compare to another, they're all unique.

• Members
On 28.09.2017 at 0:11 AM, Djh0901kc said:

This may be a long shot but does anyone watch Black Mirror?

I do... 

• Members
43 minutes ago, TooDevastated said:

I do... 

I’ve rewatched the first episode of Season 2like a million times. Be right back it’s called. Would you do that if such a service was available? There’s an app called replika that is supposed to be based on the episode

• Members
4 hours ago, Djh0901kc said:

I’ve rewatched the first episode of Season 2like a million times. Be right back it’s called. Would you do that if such a service was available? There’s an app called replika that is supposed to be based on the episode

Nope. There is some quite deep metaphysics about this. But I dont believe any copy could replace the real deal no matter how good it is or how real it feels. The funny thing is.. I remember watching that episode and feeling sad for that woman! :/

• Members

I did too. We watched it together and talked about how we would never do that because it wouldn’t be the same. Now that I’m here all alone though I’m not so sure. Maybe not the physical copy part but just being able to talk to her on the phone? I don’t know anymore

• Members
9 minutes ago, Djh0901kc said:

I did too. We watched it together and talked about how we would never do that because it wouldn’t be the same. Now that I’m here all alone though I’m not so sure. Maybe not the physical copy part but just being able to talk to her on the phone? I don’t know anymore

Even occasional text coming from them would have been lovely... but it wouldnt be them!

I would end up in a worse state of depression (if thats possible). Texts wouldnt be enough soon nor phonecalls... It'd be awkward if thing got physical.. I dont know. I just would prefer NOT to do it even if that tech was available.

• Moderators

They know how to clone animals.  But even though they make a replica, it's not 100% exactly the same.  And of course that clone doesn't have the memories and interaction history with you.  I just don't see for the life of me how they could ever come close to making another George, he was so unique and so perfect for me...I think we would know the difference even if they looked like them.  When George's brother Bill came to his funeral (I had never met him before), I was kind of stunned, he looked just like him except overweight!  It kind of hit me, you know?  But of course he's not like him, it's only physical features.

• Members
TooDevastated
On 30.09.2017 at 4:25 PM, KayC said:

They know how to clone animals.  But even though they make a replica, it's not 100% exactly the same.  And of course that clone doesn't have the memories and interaction history with you.  I just don't see for the life of me how they could ever come close to making another George, he was so unique and so perfect for me...I think we would know the difference even if they looked like them.  When George's brother Bill came to his funeral (I had never met him before), I was kind of stunned, he looked just like him except overweight!  It kind of hit me, you know?  But of course he's not like him, it's only physical features.

It must still be nice to see similar features. I wish my boyfriend looked like his family. None of them resemble him at all. 

• Moderators

I don't know, it felt weird.  But I haven't seen his family since so it's unlikely I will.

• Members
12 hours ago, TooDevastated said:

It must still be nice to see similar features. I wish my boyfriend looked like his family. None of them resemble him at all. 

His younger brother has similar features and many time people got confused between them and my husband took advantage of this multiple time. Now when I see his brother I feel weird feeling like KayC said, sorry for being so selfish but I wish my husband would be here in place of him.

• Members
6 hours ago, LoveGoli said:

His younger brother has similar features and many time people got confused between them and my husband took advantage of this multiple time. Now when I see his brother I feel weird feeling like KayC said, sorry for being so selfish but I wish my husband would be here in place of him.

They say that everyone has a Doppelganger out there.   Would be interesting if I find my wife's.  

• Members
TooDevastated
3 hours ago, Azipod said:

They say that everyone has a Doppelganger out there.   Would be interesting if I find my wife's.  

Yeah. Just to see the similar features. We will never know what they would have looked like if they had the chance to grow old :/ 

I went on to read our messages on messenger today. Maybe I shouldnt have done that. I feel so miserable right now... 

• Members
6 hours ago, TooDevastated said:

I went on to read our messages on messenger today. Maybe I shouldnt have done that. I feel so miserable right now..

This is self torture still I do the same, we all know the results after reading messages, seeing pictures but still this heart don't listen anything.

• Members
TooDevastated
6 hours ago, LoveGoli said:

This is self torture still I do the same, we all know the results after reading messages, seeing pictures but still this heart don't listen anything.

I feel terrible. When I looked at the mirror this morning and saw my new hair. I dont want to look good. So I just made a bun and got to work with no makeup and zombie eyes. The usual. 

I made him so happy and he has left me to be broken and miserable. I cant help feeling resentful... Why did he leave me? And I am mad at myself for feeling that. He wouldnt leave me by choice. Its not his fault. But then, why do I keep feeling this shitty if nobody has done anything wrong?!

• Members
14 minutes ago, TooDevastated said:

I feel terrible. When I looked at the mirror this morning and saw my new hair. I dont want to look good. So I just made a bun and got to work with no makeup and zombie eyes. The usual. 

I made him so happy and he has left me to be broken and miserable. I cant help feeling resentful... Why did he leave me? And I am mad at myself for feeling that. He wouldnt leave me by choice. Its not his fault. But then, why do I keep feeling this shitty if nobody has done anything wrong?!

Before this I loose my long hairs but now I just make bun without any makeup, who cares about my looks. Business need only work from me and that I am doing, no body cares about  how I am looking.

We don't have someone to blame, I blame only god for this cruelty because from childhood I heard that without god permission, nothing can happen even a leaf can't move without his permission, so I blame him only or my fate. From that day I don't do any prayers, don't talk to him, I have fight with him and will be till I am alive because I can not forgive him for this cruelty.

• Moderators

The bible talks about this being a fallen world and Satan has control, but God will take back control someday, but it hasn't happened yet.  So I don't see it that God gives permission for everything.  People get raped, God doesn't give permission for that!  Anyway, just my two cents...

• Members
9 hours ago, LoveGoli said:

I feel your pain LoveGoli.  It wasn’t so long ago that I was feeling it as intensely as you are.  We never forget it and we further down the grief road ache for those of you newer to grief.

I still can’t refer to it as a ‘journey’ because journey is such a beautiful word.  All my life journeys have always been looked forward to, been fun and exciting, so I call it the grief road.

Whoever coined the phrase  ‘grief is hard work’ isn’t wrong.  I thought that phrase so silly when I first started seeing it popping up on the net.  But I’ve learnt first hand that grief is friggen hard work.  It was hard work to look at all our photos, play our videos, read every card hubby had written to me and mine to him, over and over for many months.  I just had to do it and feel and absorb the torture as part of my grief.  It was hard work to scrutinize every piece of my darlings handwriting over and over again.  Read the sympathy cards and letters over and over again.  Held the tools in his garage, touched every piece of his clothing, touched everything of his that I could think of.  And I’ve relived every memory, felt the emotions I felt at the time we made those memories.  I’ve spent untold hours staring at the flames in my fire and my ceiling.  I’ve gone outside and shaken my fist at the sky,  cursed and swore at him for leaving me and for leaving me to sort out very serious **** on his side of the family.  It was living hell on earth for many months but I now realise I had to get these things out of my system to enable healing to begin. None of the hard work has been a waste of time.  

Then comes the day when you find yourself smiling at your loves photos instead of howling and crying.  It will surprise you and soon, but not right away, you will realise you’ve turned a corner and your loss and your life begins to get a little easier.  

We all grieve in our own way and time.  My hubby was killed 90 weeks ago.  I love him and miss him with every fibre of my being and I think about him many, many times each day, but not all day every day like I used to. I am so grateful for the time I had with my kind, loving man.  I am grateful that he chose me to spend the rest of his life with.  We had a special love, had our ups and downs like most couples but we had wonderful years together.  He made me a better person.  We knew each other as well as we knew ourselves and had discussed what we thought we would do if one of us died.  My happiness meant a lot to my hubby.  He would want me to grieve him, remember him with love and affection always, but get back into living and find some enjoyment in life again.  And that is what I am going to do.  Nearly every aspect of my life has changed and I still have much work to do in his honour, but, I will also start doing things, going more places and be open to finding happiness again.  

I’m learning that rejoining the living requires more hard work.  It still takes a lot of self-discipline to get things done. Grief attacks and meltdowns still occur.  Like almost all the women here, I still don’t bother with make-up, clothes etc.  I am no longer houseproud and have to push myself to get basic housework done.  I haven’t regained interest in any of my old hobbies but I do think about them, still have no desire to read for pleasure. Still haven’t weeded my much loved gardens or tidied my yard, or washed my car or my homes windows.  There are lots of things I haven’t done,  but I am spending  more time with people in my neighbourhood, my family and friends.  These people can have me crying with laughter again and that is something I totally never expected I’d ever do again!!   I help my neighbours or anyone I see who could do with a hand, whenever I can and I get pleasure from doing it. 

• Members
3 hours ago, M88 said:

I feel your pain LoveGoli.  It wasn’t so long ago that I was feeling it as intensely as you are.  We never forget it and we further down the grief road ache for those of you newer to grief.

I still can’t refer to it as a ‘journey’ because journey is such a beautiful word.  All my life journeys have always been looked forward to, been fun and exciting, so I call it the grief road.

Whoever coined the phrase  ‘grief is hard work’ isn’t wrong.  I thought that phrase so silly when I first started seeing it popping up on the net.  But I’ve learnt first hand that grief is friggen hard work.  It was hard work to look at all our photos, play our videos, read every card hubby had written to me and mine to him, over and over for many months.  I just had to do it and feel and absorb the torture as part of my grief.  It was hard work to scrutinize every piece of my darlings handwriting over and over again.  Read the sympathy cards and letters over and over again.  Held the tools in his garage, touched every piece of his clothing, touched everything of his that I could think of.  And I’ve relived every memory, felt the emotions I felt at the time we made those memories.  I’ve spent untold hours staring at the flames in my fire and my ceiling.  I’ve gone outside and shaken my fist at the sky,  cursed and swore at him for leaving me and for leaving me to sort out very serious **** on his side of the family.  It was living hell on earth for many months but I now realise I had to get these things out of my system to enable healing to begin. None of the hard work has been a waste of time.  

Then comes the day when you find yourself smiling at your loves photos instead of howling and crying.  It will surprise you and soon, but not right away, you will realise you’ve turned a corner and your loss and your life begins to get a little easier.  

We all grieve in our own way and time.  My hubby was killed 90 weeks ago.  I love him and miss him with every fibre of my being and I think about him many, many times each day, but not all day every day like I used to. I am so grateful for the time I had with my kind, loving man.  I am grateful that he chose me to spend the rest of his life with.  We had a special love, had our ups and downs like most couples but we had wonderful years together.  He made me a better person.  We knew each other as well as we knew ourselves and had discussed what we thought we would do if one of us died.  My happiness meant a lot to my hubby.  He would want me to grieve him, remember him with love and affection always, but get back into living and find some enjoyment in life again.  And that is what I am going to do.  Nearly every aspect of my life has changed and I still have much work to do in his honour, but, I will also start doing things, going more places and be open to finding happiness again.  

I’m learning that rejoining the living requires more hard work.  It still takes a lot of self-discipline to get things done. Grief attacks and meltdowns still occur.  Like almost all the women here, I still don’t bother with make-up, clothes etc.  I am no longer houseproud and have to push myself to get basic housework done.  I haven’t regained interest in any of my old hobbies but I do think about them, still have no desire to read for pleasure. Still haven’t weeded my much loved gardens or tidied my yard, or washed my car or my homes windows.  There are lots of things I haven’t done,  but I am spending  more time with people in my neighbourhood, my family and friends.  These people can have me crying with laughter again and that is something I totally never expected I’d ever do again!!   I help my neighbours or anyone I see who could do with a hand, whenever I can and I get pleasure from doing it. 

Thanks for the lovely post M88 but right now I am not in that situation to perform anything to honor him. May be after few month i'll be able to do so.

• Members
3 hours ago, M88 said:

Well written M88. We all go thru phases and finally reality sits in. Some takes weeks, some months and some years, but the fact of life is that time never stops. I live in Toronto canada and have no family here everyone is back home in India. When she passed away I had to drive back from hospital, go to funeral home, select casket, flowers etc. All this time kids were with me. On day of funeral I was crying and standing near the casket for almost 2 hours but decided after that can't cry in front of kids and my mom and started faking smile as I know you cry alone and smile with others. I still go thru depression but have learned to come out of it in a day or two. Just had first sad anniversary little more than a month back.

We all grieve the way we can. Some can cry openly some can't. Some have to go back to business some can take some time off. Do whatever makes you feel little better. It is a experimental path where what we liked earlier might not like now as it could be a team work task and now we have lost our partner. Believe me as days pass we learn how to handle it better.

Peace

• Members
9 hours ago, TooDevastated said:

I feel terrible.  I made him so happy and he has left me to be broken and miserable. I cant help feeling resentful... Why did he leave me? 

During the earlier days, I kept crying out of the blue and kept asking why she had to leave me.   It was glimpses of the angry phase which was mixed into the heavier shock/denial phase I was initially in.   Now, there are still times where I question my wife for leaving me.   I am mad and devastated.   At her?  A bit.....  But I am more mad at the whole wide world in general.  I really don't give a crap about what goes on out there.    Hurricanes, shootings, terrorist attacks, I don't really care.     I know I sound selfish, but each of our loss is just as tragic as any of those other world events.   The news is no big deal.   WE ALREADY BEEN SUFFERING.    The news is "old news."    We are already victims.

• Members

I know how you feel, Azipod. I have been having a rough day myself. Even though I have been making some progress, I slid way backwards this morning. I found myself fighting an anxiety attack. I haven't had one for a few months. The big lump at the back of my throat  is still there. I stayed in bed as late as I could. A couple hours later, I crawled back into bed. I am up again, but I feel like I am crawling out of my skin with anxiety. I miss my husband so desperately and just want to be with him, wherever he is. This is so not fair and I think it is immorally wrong for soul mates to be forced to be separated in this manner. I have been questioning God again. If He allowed us to find each other in this life, why is He allowing all this pain and separation? I have been grieving for over a year and I have had enough. There is a limit to this emotional and mental pain.Why can't God allow me what I need and desire? Isn't more than a year enough to learn the lesson of loss?

Sorry for my rant, but it is one of those days. Everything that has worked for me before in helping to get through the day hasn't helped today.

• Members
3 minutes ago, KMB said:

I know how you feel, Azipod. I have been having a rough day myself. Even though I have been making some progress, I slid way backwards this morning. I found myself fighting an anxiety attack. I haven't had one for a few months. The big lump at the back of my throat  is still there. I stayed in bed as late as I could. A couple hours later, I crawled back into bed. I am up again, but I feel like I am crawling out of my skin with anxiety. I miss my husband so desperately and just want to be with him, wherever he is. This is so not fair and I think it is immorally wrong for soul mates to be forced to be separated in this manner. I have been questioning God again. If He allowed us to find each other in this life, why is He allowing all this pain and separation? I have been grieving for over a year and I have had enough. There is a limit to this emotional and mental pain.Why can't God allow me what I need and desire? Isn't more than a year enough to learn the lesson of loss?

Sorry for my rant, but it is one of those days. Everything that has worked for me before in helping to get through the day hasn't helped today.

I’m sorry you’re having a bad day today. I am too and I wish I could say or do something to help you guys. No one deserves to feel like this. We’re here for you

• Members

Thank you, Djh. Whatever my longevity is, I wish I could hit high speed, fast forward, or something.I've been doing today minute by minute like I did in the beginning months. Why the backwards slide after over a year? The universe is supposed to be rooting for me, not bringing me backwards. What is the lesson in that?

Archived