Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sharing with Family

June

• Members

It breaks my heart to read that some of you are having difficulty with family being greedy.  
I'm blessed to not have any of those problems.  
I've given a few things to his brother & sister in law and to his son and daughter.  And to a few in my family and friends who were especially close to him.  My dear husband liked to collect stuff, and he liked to just have stuff.  So I came up with an idea of a way to share some of these things with his brother and kids.  I bought nice shadow boxes and am picking out things that will fit inside as a sort of small collection of remembrances of him for them.  I'll put a couple of pictures on the background and then place the items in and around the pictures.  He had military patches from the Army, badges, watches,  fishing stuff (lures & bobbers :) ), belt buckles, a few partially smoked thin cigars that he mostly just held in this mouth after they went out, just misc stuff.  I realize I can't keep it all (we were together 35 years; married 31) and that someday someone will have to dispose of everything after I'm gone.   There's much more that won't fit in a shadow box but I think they will be touched and pleased with these when I get them finished.  

I've decided to do the same with things from my Mother and Father's home (Daddy passed in 2008; Moma just this past January).  I'll make shadow boxes for 4 children (including me) and 9 grandchildren using my mother's broaches and earrings and sewing items and my father's pocket knives and fishing stuff.   I probably have enough "stuff" to make for the 18 great grandchildren and 2 great great grandchildren but that's a lot of shadow boxes!  Maybe I will get to those later.  

I just thought I'd share this idea with all of you.  It's actually making me feel good.  Bringing back a lot of memories as I look at his things and pick out what to put in each box.  

• Members

June, Such a great idea! Years ago, my husband gave me his military pins, etc. and I put them into a shadow box for him as a gift. I have a few more of his "special" keepsakes I was going to add to it or maybe start another shadow box. They are good for holding the memories.

Archived