Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Holiday Decorations

Eagle-96

• Members

Lori used to decorate the house for fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc... It was always something we looked forward to. Lori would go all out and one day told me that, although she enjoyed the decorations, she really put extra effort into it because she knew I liked it so much. This Friday is September 1st and would have been the day we put out the fall decorations(ceramic pumpkins and gourds, wreath, wheat, etc...) but I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it. I probably won't put up a Christmas tree or lights this year either. We always bought ornaments during vacations and bought a yearly ornament with the year on it. There are just to many memories there and I'm not sure I can do it. It's just too painful(I'm tearing up just writing this). Does everyone else decorate and if you do how long before you started again.

• Members

God do I feel you. My wife decorated for EVERY holiday and bought color coded plastic tubs to store our decorations in. Fall and Halloween were our absolute favs and we carved a half dozen pumpkins every year. She would roast the seeds and we would eat them and watch horror movies all Oct. Even dressed up on Halloween to pass out candy. There's no way that's happening this year or probably ever again. Like you said, too many memories or doing the outside decorations together. Laughing and having fun together. I can't imagine it ever bringing me joy like it used to. Sorry you're suffering the same pain right now. Something we used to love so much is now such a hurt for us. It's not fair.

• Members

I always put out decorations for the Holidays.  This year, I plan to tone it down.  I'll put something out there, but it's going to be really simple.   Truth is I rather not do anything, but a piece of me would know that my wife would want me to carry on.  And so I will -- it will just be simple.  I don't want to think about it too much.  Making it through each day is tough enough.  I don't feel like spending hours in front of the house hanging things up .... and then taking it all back down.

• Members

I never really did much until Christmas. Christmas was always my favorite holiday of the year, starting Thanksgiving the radio stations start playing Christmas music and I listened to the music every single moment I could and I would sing music to him and he loved it... I think. Haha, I am not a good singer but he liked it I am sure. Ornaments and the tree was something we were going to put up this year together and have so much fun together during the holidays.

Now I despise everything to do with Christmas except for the meaning itself, because I am religious. Other than that I have no desire for any part of Christmas, whether it is the tree or music. I just won't listen to anything. I despise it now. Summer is officially over the 22nd of September. Thankfully, my birthday is on the 10th... technically my birthday is still a summer birthday... and that is something I'll always be grateful for. Fall and Winter are the most miserable seasons ever for me. Knowing me, if I do anything, it is going to be in a small amount so maybe a song or two... but nothing else. Not even the tree. 

• Members

I have absolutely no desire to celebrate any of the holidays. How do I look at all the dad ornaments our kids gave him over the years or his Celtics and Kansas City chiefs ornaments. I have to have a tree because even though the kids are older they would want one. I personally want to just hide in bed. It is going to be so painful now that he is gone. I wish I could just skip over it. I have no idea how to get through today much less the holidays. This is so hard.

• Members

My husband passed away on 8 December 2016 and I just bought a christmas tree as he requested.

Our kids came home just before he passed away and we decided to put up the tree as he wanted. Christmas

meant a big deal in our family especially for my husband. Christmas past and followed by New Year, was tough.

This year, will be Kevin's first anniversary and we will put the tree in memory of him like he always wanted.

• Moderators

Sylvia,

I like that.  I do that also.  That first time I was at six months out and it was really hard getting out his ornaments (George and Kay's 1st Christmas ornament, etc.) but now it's become tradition and I look forward to doing it in his memory.  It's been 12 years now.  I'm officially old now and very much alone, no one sees the tree but me, but I still do it.

Archived