Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grief and massage therapy

Martha789

• Members

My mom died last month. My dad seems pretty depressed and stressed after this. He can’t cope up with bereavement. I thought the grief would go away but, he seems more dull and sad than before. He suffers from insomnia and frequent headaches. His physician says that it's all because of his depressed mental state. He seems tired and exhausted most of the time but he can’t sleep at night. He is attending group therapy sessions to overcome his depression but, I don’t think this is working. He is still in pain. Conventional medications and antidepressants are making him more weak and numb. He doesn’t want to try anything new. I’m concerned about his mental health. Lately, he started drinking. He was a social drinker but now I think he is relying on alcohol to get over the pain. My aunt told me that chiropractic services such as massage therapy would help with depression. I took an appointment for him, at a chiropractic clinic in Toronto. Kindly share your views regarding grief and massage therapy. Any suggestion and advice would be a great help. Thank you in advance.

• Members

I am very sorry about the loss of your mom. One month is certainly not even close to the amount of time it's going to take for your father to process through his emotions. His entire life has been turned upside down, and his life partner is gone. He now has to be alone, and if they were married for a long time, he is more than likely scared silly and completely lost. Group therapy will help in time. 

I'm not sure how massage therapy could help with grief, but it would definitely help his muscles to relax, which could help him sleep better. Exercise, moderate exercise in which he gets his heart rate up, is the best way to deal with depress. Brisk walking, house cleaning, etc., are all ways to do that. 

Get him some books to read on grief. Let him talk about his feelings. Let him cry. Talk to his family doctor about what he is dealing with. 

Again, your loss is so fresh it's going to take some time. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

Archived