Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Why do my dogs keep dying?

Katana

• Members

I have a beautiful 5-year-old Maltese named Katana. She has had 7 litters of puppies, but was recently spayed. Her first litter she bred to a Havanese and had one beautiful girl and I named her Kalina and kept her. Sadly, she died at 3 from bacterial septicemia. Her second litter she bred to a Pomapoo and had two puppies. I kept the girl and my friend got the boy. I named her Katerina and she died at just 1 year old from an infection! Her next litter she bred to my friend's Havanese again and had three puppies, which I kept a boy and named him Taku. He died at 2 from pneumonia. The litter after that she bred to a Beabull and had two puppies. I kept a girl and named her Unna, but she died at 2 from a systemic bacterial infection. Her fifth litter she bred to a Miniature Poodle and had just one pup, a boy named Ikaika and I kept him. He is 2 years old and I still have him. He is neutered. Her sixth litter she bred with our neighbor's Beabull again and had another two pups. I kept the girl and named her Nalani. She is just a year old and I've had her spayed. Her last litter she bred to a Boxer and had three pups, which were born c-section and she was spayed at the same time. I kept one boy and named in Makaio.

Before Kalina died she got pregnant from a German Shepherd Dog and had a c-section to have a boy, which I kept and named Keet. He is 3 yrs old. Kalina's second litter was with a Jack Russell Terrier. She had 5 puppies and I kept one boy and named him Keto. He is 3 yrs old and I still have him. Kalina's third litter was with a Shiba Inu and all six pups were born dead. Her 4th litter was with my aunt's Jack Russell Terrier again and she had 6 puppies. I kept a boy and named her Tuar. He is a great dog! Kalina's 4th litter was with a Yorkipoo. She had 7 puppies and I kept a girl and named her Skyla. She is just 1 year old.

Before his death, Taku bred with my friend's Miniature Labradoodle and she let me keep one of the puppies. I named her Trua and she is just 1 year old. Taku bred with my friend's Shiba Inu one more time before he died and she let me keep a puppy, which I named Nalani. She is only 1 year old, too.

Unna bred with my friend's Shiba Inu and all her puppies were born dead.

Keet got with my neighbor's Miniature Goldendoodle and they let me have a puppy. I named her Kalia and she is 1 year old. Keet bred with her on her last heat cycle and they had pups and I kept a girl and named her Halyn. She was just a baby when she died of encephalitis.

Keto bred with another neighbor's female Mal-Shi and had puppies. They let me keep a boy and I named him Adan. He is still a puppy. Keto bred again with their Mal-Shi on her next heat and they had puppies. The owner gave me one and I named her Vicky, but she died from intestinal issues.

Kalia accidentally got pregnant from my friend's German Shepherd Dog and had one puppy, which I named Amaya.

All my dogs are now spayed/neutered (that are old enough) and I don't let them breed anymore. However, I am still so sad about the ones I lost. I have lost 5 dogs and two litters in such a short amount of time. It is heartbreaking. I'm happy I still have the 11 that I do. I'm just afraid something bad is going to happen to them! Why would two entire litters of puppies be born dead? That doesn't make sense to me! How can a dog get bacterial septicemia anyway? Where are they getting these infections? I feel like I am cursed!

• Moderators

These are questions to be asking your veterinarian.  It could be something with the genes, the common denominator being the mom, or it could be great coincidence, but I've never had dogs die so young.  You have a great many puppies to take care of, I wish you a long time with them all.  I'm sorry for all of your losses, that is a lot to deal with.

Archived