Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My beautiful cat ❤

Cathy116

• Members

Hi, 

I just discovered this website. I don't know what I'm really looking for and I don't know how it really works on here but I just need to write it somewhere. Im currently at work, on my lunch break, crying like there's no tomorrow. My mom called me 3 days ago telling me they took an appointment to euthanize my beloved cat. She's my 16 years old cat. I've had her since I was 5 years old, we grew old together and she was always there when no one else was. She wont pee in her litter anymore, she barely eats (she licks it but wont eat it) and she doesnt like going out anymore or sleeping in my bed. Its been like this for quite a while. My dad is in the army and so we moved every 2-3 years. Its hard making new friends and having good people to talk to. She was aways there waiting for me when I came back home, when I had no one to talk to she was just there staring at me (yes I did talk to my cat). When I was feeling sad and cried in my bed, she'd come to me and bite my cheeks to comfort me. She always did that thing. She used to turn on her back which I called it the "Twist and Shout"... anyway... she's schedule for tonight at 6pm and I can't be there with her since im away because of college. I cant stand the fact that I wont be near her on her dying table. Ive never lost anyone in my life before and this is really affecting me. I talked to my entourage and they seem to think that I overreact. For them its "only a cat". They caught me crying and Im pretty sure they think im being childish. I just cant help it. I feel guilty for putting her down and I cant know for sure if its what she really want or if we are selfish for letting her go. Did we try everything? I feel like we didnt... I dont know how I'll take it when she'll really be gone... 

For anyone who actually read this, thank you. Just writinf it helped a little... 

received_10213432285752691.jpeg

• Members

So sorry for your sweet cat. :( Totally natural to be as sad as you are. A not eating kitty is never good. At some point, life does end. At least she will be with people who love her and in a calm peace. If she is in pain (which cats hide so well) it is time to be kind and take that away.  I will tell you that many people lose their animals that are not so lucky. 

• Moderators

Cathy,

When I was five my parents let me get a dog, although he quickly became "the family dog".  They didn't let me take him with me when I left home.  When he was 15 they had him put to sleep and didn't tell me until afterwards.  I still remember that phone call, how hard it was, crying, being denied the privilege of saying goodbye to him.  That's hard!

We love our animals so much, we don't want to lose them.  It sounds like it is time because she has to be in pain if she can't eat and isn't peeing in the litter box.  My rule of thumb for knowing when it's the right time to euthanize is to do what is best for them and not for me.  That is the last selfless act we can give them.  AJW is right, animals can be stoic and don't begin to show us their pain, if we see any, we know it's way worse than what we're seeing.

I pray for comfort for you, I know this is hard.

• Members

I'm so sorry your sweet girl is gone. I know without a doubt that she had a long and wonderful life with you and your family based on how much you care for her. Do not feel guilty for putting her down; it was the right thing to do based on the pain she was in and there wasn't much else you could have done. I totally understand why you're feeling this way, I feel so much guilt for my kitty too. Crying over the loss of a pet who has been a major part of your life for so many years is the opposite of childish and I'm so sorry people are judging you when you are already in so much pain. Your long-lived and beautiful cat is at peace now and I wish you only the best in moving forward. ❤️

• Moderators

annagrace, alas Cathy has not been back to even read my post, hopefully she will come here again and see your heartfelt comments.

Archived