Online Grief Support, Help for Coping with Loss | Beyond Indigo Forums
  • Announcements

• ModKonnie

Advertisements   09/05/2017

Hi all,  I'm sure you've noticed some changes in the forums. We've again had to do some updates, so that's why things may look a little different. Nothing major should have changed.  Also, we are going to start adding advertisements sensitive to our community on the boards. This is something we are experimenting with, and we will certainly make sure they are in the best interests of everyone. We want to make sure our forums continue to stay accessible and cost free to all of our members, and this is a way to ensure this.  If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to privately message me or email me at Konnie@beyondindigo.com.  As always, we will be here with you, ModKonnie
AJWCat

Sick with grief and guilt

AJWCat   

We just lost our wonderful sweet 15 year old cat a couple days ago and it was physically traumatic for him and totally horrific. The emergency vet said it was an organophosphate poison.

My vision of his last moments were not this. Maybe being in vet office, calm and in control and getting time to say goodbye (as was the case with my other cats years ago.)

Instead, this was a nightmare and from the time I found him to his death was about 2 hours. We had sprayed Raid on a couple spiders the previous night in the basement but the vet said that was not it. He wasn't sure but he says it could have been days earlier. I am totally paranoid now. I really have not eaten or slept much. I am full of guilt since I am not sure exactly what happened so I am barely coping. We are renting a vacation home so I don't know what he might have gotten into. Can't find anything. Maybe it was a poisonous bug? No clue. He had also lost a lot of weight the last couple months and was hiding a lot so I know he was sick but this was way beyond anything unless it was total organ failure all at once. I don't know.  I have waves of fear and anxiety and overwhelm. I can't believe I let this happen. The whole thing is so traumatic I have not even been able to have normal sadness.

KayC   
20 hours ago, AJWCat said:

I can't believe I let this happen.

You don't know what happened to cause this, not for sure.  So how then could you have prevented it?  You are assuming responsibility for something beyond your control.  That said, I know that does little to relieve your feelings of guilt, which are not earned, but are in fact, a part of grief.  Guilt is COMMON in grief.  We often assume we should have been able to protect our loved one, whether person or animal, from whatever befell them, but often are not able to.  It is so hard to accept that we are human and have limitations and that so often life and death are beyond our control.  It makes us feel our world is so tenuous to know that things can happen beyond our control.  And yet things do happen beyond our control, every day.  That leaves us feeling vulnerable.  Death leaves us feeling vulnerable.  When my husband died, it left me feeling like an innocence had been stolen from me...before that time, I took life for granted, afterwards, there was a knowing I'd never asked to be part of, realizing that at any moment things could change forever, just as they had the moment he drew his last breath.

I am so sorry for your loss, I know it is profound.  We form and establish relationships, with people, with our pets, they have a huge part of our lives as members of our family, and when we lose one of them, we miss them always.

Sometimes it helps to establish memorials or perform rituals in their memory.  It helps to pay them honor and give them that place they deserve.  
http://www.griefhealingblog.com/2012/04/nightmares-and-bad-dreams-in-grief.html 

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

AJWCat   

Thanks so much Kay. It feels good to get it off my chest - I am still working, minute by minute on working through my guilt. I know rationally you are right. Thanks for being here for people who need it!! (I loved what you said in your other comment about people who don't have pets let because they don't want hair on the furniture and your dog gets a chair. haha, I love it. I would feed Courage my cat, first too. He was my priority.) 

KayC   

On FB the other day someone shared something about "who would feed their pet before themselves", I would!  Mine always eat first, but if I only had food for them or me, it'd be them.  They are my babies.

We know things rationally but that doesn't always make it any easier to FEEL that way.  We have to realize that feelings are not meant to be barometers, they aren't a good measure of reality, and when we get these guilt feelings, it may have no bearing in reality or what is accurate.  Feelings are sometimes just something to get through, and I think guilt sometimes falls into this category.  We have to tell ourselves the accurate story, that we would give our lives for our pets if only we could, and THAT is the reality, not the guilt feelings.

AJWCat   

I am taking two steps forward and one step back - actually two steps back. My husband and I are both still so distraught. We are trying to be happy but we can't. This three month vacation we are on is now ruined. But we are stuck here. There's nowhere to go, nothing to do to distract ourselves. The pain and sadness is really horrible. The only thing I can say is I have somehow managed to stop feeling quite as guilty. 

KayC   
On 8/17/2017 at 11:12 AM, AJWCat said:

I have somehow managed to stop feeling quite as guilty. 

That is a huge step!  I hope your healing continues, I know it takes much time just to process our grief.

AJWCat   

Last night was one week since we lost our cat in a way that I never would have guessed. So horrible, his suffering continues to haunt me. Guilt has been replaced with anger and sadness. I hear about people's cats dying in their arms or asleep and can't believe the last hours of Courage's life were so awful. All I can do is rationalize by thinking of even worse fates. I'm eating now but sick most of the time. I act happy for my husband as he can't bare to think about what happened and I still obsess. 

KayC   

I don't know that that is obsessing, you are GRIEVING, and we all grieve in different ways.

It sounds ideal that our animals could die comfortably in our arms, peaceably, but that's not how it goes for many of us.  Those last images haunt us, whether in our imagination or actual memories.  I have such memory with my late husband, it has taken years for it to fade.  Imagery is sometimes helpful, so is EFT.
http://blog.healthjourneys.com/update-from-belleruth/emotional-freedom-technique-eft-may-look-weird-but-if-it-gets-the-job-done-do-we-care.html 
http://www.griefhealingblog.com/2010/03/using-emotional-freedom-techniques-eft.html 
http://www.griefhealingblog.com/2012/04/nightmares-and-bad-dreams-in-grief.html

AJWCat   

It's two weeks today. I am so sad still. And mad now. I want to lash out at someone and yet don't want to - obviously that is childish and I know that. I am just so mad now. Feeling cheated. So I pretty much try to stay quiet. My husband is very sad with me but when he gets happier I am both happy for him and mad again. Oh these emotions are so painful. i basically try to distract myself all day long and then get to sleep. I don't dream about my cat but my brain constantly reminds me throughout the night almost so I don't wake up and forget. I hate mornings.

KayC   
13 minutes ago, AJWCat said:

my brain constantly reminds me throughout the night almost so I don't wake up and forget. I hate mornings.

I can understand that.  If you do forget for a moment it hits you afresh when you remember they're gone, it can be a rude awakening all over again...until the moment when that no longer happens and it sinks in that they're truly gone, then there's a sadness inside of you that you carry, even through happier times, it's still there...coexisting with grief.   (((hugs)))

AJWCat   

So right Kay. I'm not usually one for "anniversary" dates but yesterday at 2 weeks was heartbreaking. I cried so much. I then had awful dreams. Hopefully today will be better. I saw someone post that it had been two weeks and they were still struggling and it seemed extreme, now I fear how much longer I am going to be like this.  

KayC   

It's a gradual getting used to, but along the way it hits us in waves.  We might feel we're doing better at getting used to it and all of a sudden it hits us afresh.  It's been nearly 15 months since I lost Miss Mocha...I no longer expect her to appear at the door or sleep pushed up against me, but thoughts remind me of her and I miss her so much.

AJWCat   

Awww I can imagine. I can't even go to those kinds of memories - all of our sweet rituals yet. I look forward to memories of happy times. Sorry about Miss Mocha. You have been through so much yourself w/ animals and your husband.

KayC   

Yeah, but with losing Miss Mocha, people think, "It's just a cat."  No, she was my family for 10 1/2 years, I knew her through and through, I loved her for the unique being she was.  We mourn them like others can't imagine.

AJWCat   

It's yet another Saturday. Three weeks as of tonight. All last night and this morning I obsessed over what got our sweet cat. My husband I have not really functioned for the last three weeks. We are "on vacation" and literally have done almost nothing. We were going to go on day trips, rafting, cave exploring, wine tasting. What a disaster. How I ironic we were so fortunate to plan this and make it happen and lose our cat here. On top of it, everything on the news with the people in Houston losing everything (maybe even their own pets) and I am ashamed. My husband admitted he has moved into the anger phase. We looked up the 5 stages of grief and I told him it's not linear and it isn't. This loss, so sudden, is the worst. My only consolation is to come here and try to help someone else because I understand. (I need to follow my own advice sometimes.)     

KayC   
2 hours ago, AJWCat said:

On top of it, everything on the news with the people in Houston losing everything (maybe even their own pets) and I am ashamed.

Don't be.  Knowing other people are suffering doesn't make your loss feel any less significant.  It's all the harder knowing so many others are also suffering, but your loss is very real and your feelings are very valid.
The 5 stages of grief were meant for something else entirely, for terminal illness, it's not intended for loss of someone.  We can experience many emotions, some of them conflicting at the same time.  We might experience all of the stages or none, our grief and how we go through it is very individual and our feelings unique, even though we might notice some commonalities with other.  Just know that whatever you are feeling is normal.  Also, men and women sometimes handle their grief differently.

AJWCat   

Thank you, I appreciate that. I didn't realize that about the 5 stages but that makes more sense. Conflicting is true too. 

AJWCat   

It's four weeks today. Obviously I have turned this into an online journal of my grief. Does it get better? Yes. But if I think about my sweet kitty's death for too long I go right back there and relive the horror of it. People move on quickly even with people's deaths... so it's no surprise that no one has any idea how sad I still am. I am pretty much on the verge of tears at any time. I am still so mad about being in this place where he died. I hate it. We came here for this wonderful trip, he died, and then we will leave and this will all be one horrible memory. And when we finally leave I know it'll feel like we are leaving our cat for good. Which is of course silly. But I have gotten used to not having logical thoughts now.

KMB   

AJWCat,  I have been reading your posts and I am sorry for the pain you have. It is extremely hard when we lose our pets. Were you able to have your sweet cat cremated, so you can take the remains back home with you? I do not know if that was a possibility wherever you are on vacation at. If this was not a possibility, your cat's spirit will follow you wherever you are.

Not to offend you, but I don't feel people move on quickly after a person's death. It depends on the relationship, of course. My husband has been gone a little over a year, and I am no where near moving on. There is no such thing for me. I handle my grieving on a day to day basis. I function the best I can. 

You are grieving the loss of a cherished cat and it takes a very long time to adapt and carry the loss in your heart.  Sending prayers to you.

KayC   
21 hours ago, AJWCat said:

People move on quickly even with people's deaths... so it's no surprise that no one has any idea how sad I still am.

People don't move on quickly that have had a deep relationship.  Sometimes they may appear to move on, but we don't know what is going on inside of them or when they're alone.  Some people are not "pet people" so they don't realize what a great attachment that we develop, and that our pets are family to us.

AJWCat   

@KayC - yes of course. That didn't come out right at all. (I actually messaged KMB on this!) I meant others/the people around you move on. The people closest... of course not.   

AJWCat   

Yesterday night was tough. I allowed myself to really think about our cat, feel him, see him, remember all the snuggles and rituals. I miss him so much. Still have some serious anger about what happened to him. Other times I am fine. And still other times I can't believe I will never see him again. That knowledge is sometimes overwhelming. It's like a giant wave of realization. Because we are in a vacation rental, I keep feeling when we go "home" he will be there. Just like when we traveled I would look so forward to coming home to see him.   

KayC   

I understand...it probably won't sink in as final until you're home and see he is not there.  It is one thing to know with your head, sometimes it takes seeing to realize it though.  :(