Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Where Did You Meet Your Soulmate

Eagle-96

• Members

Listen, we have enough sadness, heartache, and pain in our lives. Sometimes that is all we have. So I wanted to try something here to maybe bring some happy memories into our dark days. So, the question is:

Where did you meet your soulmate. Tell us about how you met or your first date. When you knew they were the one. My idea is not to cause any pain but to hopefully bring back memories of happier times.

Lori and I worked for the same company for 21 years. My department had just transferred to the other side of the country so I took a job in her department. I remember the first time I saw her. I passed her desk and caught her looking my way(well I guess we busted each other in a stare). This went on for a few weeks. I just couldn't get up the nerve to say hello. Well we had a mutual friend who continually heard each of us talk about the other until one day she had had enough. I was walking down a hall and there she was with Lori in tow. She stopped and said, "Lori this is Sean. Sean this is Lori" and then walked away. We started emailing(back in the days before text and instant message) back and forth at work. I'm surprised we actually got any work done at all. Well one day (07/02/03) she asked if I wanted to go out after work for drinks. Our department had lots of happy hours after work so I said sure. Well, secretly we had both hoped it would just be us at the restaurant but we we're not sure. I drove to the bar after work. A million butterflies in my stomach hoping it would be her there alone. I walked in and saw her there sitting by herself(insert fist pump here). Well those butterflies invited a million more of their friends. I asked if it was just us and she said "unless you invited anyone". I happily said no. We were inseparable from that day forward.

• Moderators

Sean, this is a neat idea!  

I met George through a letter to the editor I'd written, he'd responded. We started writing back and forth, then he called, and I loved his voice, I could listen to it all day!  At last we met, but just as friends at first.  Our first "date" was much later, I remember we had ribs.  It was funny because when we'd just been "friends" I remember cautioning him not to fall for the first cute little waitress he found, that she'd have to pass the test.  He asked what test, I replied, don't just get someone that pushes her food around her plate, she has to eat with gusto!  See how she does with ribs, if she gets in there and eats with gusto, she's the one for you!   The funny thing is, our first date was at a banquet where we didn't get a say so or know what they had planned for us to eat.  So when I saw it was ribs, I knew i'd better eat with gusto! :D

Oh yes, I know those butterflies, we still gave them to each other clear up until he died!

• Members

I met my Charles at a women's department where we both worked.  He'd worked there a few years before I did and when I finished getting a degree, I was ready to conquer the world and all that was in it.  He was a very handsome young man who just lost his mother and I thought how brave he was to be at work rather than being at home with his family mourning the loss of his mom.    After a while, I remember him asking me out for lunch, and I told him, I was not interested because I already had a boyfriend and wasn't looking to replace him.   He said he understood and there was nothing wrong with two co-workers having lunch together.  I agreed and we just click on so many levels; we enjoyed the same interest, the same music, we both enjoyed dancing, skating, just talking about anything and everything and before I realized it, he had swept me off my feet.  I longed to be with him and after we had been married for a while, he confessed that he felt the same way.  He revealed he thought I was too good for him and he was very proud to have me as his girlfriend.  And here I was thinking just the opposite - that I was lucky to have hooked a winner.  He was and still is my winner - the love of my life.

I could go on and on and on......but you get my drift. 

Sean - This was really a terrific topic and one that brought so many good memories back to mind; thanks for putting it out there - it literally made me *happy* just thinking about it (and as you very well know, happy for me is an amazing emotion)  Thanks for bringing it out again - it felt good again :D

• Members

What a beautiful idea!

Russell and I met in 2001, just in passing really.  He was friends with some new friends I made.  We ran into each other a few times at various parties/get-togethers.   By the second or third time we met I had my eye on him and decided we would be together and that is just what I told him (many, many times over the years!)  It is so weird to believe because I had never been a very forward person - I was always intimidated and uncomfortable around boys I was attracted to.  But I just knew there was something about him.  He was so tall, charming, funny, and handsome...  We started "dating" the first week in July 2002.  I was 26.  I always said I would never have a boyfriend who was younger than me, then I found out he was 20 - I felt like a cradle robber LOL  He moved in with me soon after that.  Then, both having our demons/issues, he moved out right before Thanksgiving 2003.  In retrospect, we were both scared of the intensity of our feelings for eachother and were horrible at communicating with each other (it is pathetic yet hysterical to think about because now we communicate about everything - ad nauseum...).  At that point, both of us had given up believing that soul mates really existed.  And I don't think we were ready to be together then.  But there was always something about him that I couldn't shake - trust me, I tried.  There was a part of my heart, mind, and soul that he had staked claim on.  :wub:  We got back together and broke up two more times.  Although the road was rocky (like Mount Everest rocky...), we always found our way back to each other.  I guess that means that I am lucky because I have a number of "first time we met" memories LOL  All of the hard times we went through and the separations, made us stronger - as individuals and as a couple - and strengthened the foundation of our relationship.  They taught us how to forgive, to trust, to communicate, to unconditionally love and support each other...      

As I re-read this before posting it I got the goosebumps...  "Although the road was rocky (like Mount Everest rocky...), we always found our way back to each other."  Just like we have to do now... :wub:

• Members

Great Topic. I meant my wife thru arranged meeting by our parents. There were lots of family members around. I asked her if she was ready for marriage and she said yes and rest if history. We both said yes and then got engaged. We met few times (4-5) a week and then got married with in 3 months. Yes topic did bring smile to my face.

• Members

Back in the early '80s I belonged to a group (singles and couples) who would meet for happy hour on Friday nights and go on canoe trips and picnics, etc.  One night I walk in and see a friend (a guy I had dated) and stopped to say hello.  He introduced me to the man sitting with him saying he'd been trying to get him to come and join our "group".  A few minutes later I went off to play "Ms PacMan" (I was good :) ).   I didn't know at the time that my future love sat there watching my "backside" LOL.  Later that evening we talked more and danced a bit.  He asked me out and the rest is history as they say.  
Funny story from our first date.  (12 year difference in our ages).  We were meeting another couple that he knew for dinner.  When we arrived he introduced me with the wrong name!  (very close but.....  Think Betsy instead of Betty - names changed to protect the innocent!  He had been dating "Betsy" :) ).  So he corrected it and ok.  As we were leaving and walking thru the parking lot he saw a old car - I don't remember the year but old, and he said "oh, I used to have one just like that."  My comeback?  "Oh, did you buy it new?"   After that the age difference was never an issue. :D 

Adding...we were always together after that.  He told me a few years later that he went to see "Betsy" the week after we met and broke up with her immediately.  He knew that I was the one for him :)  

• Moderators
19 hours ago, RWT143 said:

we always found our way back to each other."  Just like we have to do now... :wub:

That is what I cling to...we were meant to be together and found each other through tremendous odds, there's no way we won't find each other again for all eternity!  We continue our relationship on faith, just as it was built on.

• Members

"Although the road was rocky (like Mount Everest rocky...), we always found our way back to each other."  Just like we have to do now... :wub:

Love this

• Members

I was working at a fuel stop/.convenience store/restaurant business. The year was 1991. I was a cashier taking care of diesel/gas/store customers on the convenience store side. The first time I met Ed, he had decided to get his diesel fuel there. (The business had only been open just under 2 years) He was a local logging truck driver. We had this instant "knowing" of each other. At the time, I was discreetly taking steps to get out of an abusive, controlling marriage. Every time Ed would stop in for fuel, I would get the butterflies. We would spend time talking in between my taking care of customers. We both felt the electricity between us.Things just took off from there. We had similar family backgrounds where we had never been wanted. (My mother never wanted me and Ed's dad never wanted children.) We had both been searching for our "home", where we felt we belonged, and we found our "home" in each other.Ed knew about the situation I was getting myself out of. He was patient. He gave me support and advice. He was 12 years older, but if he had any issues with that, he never let on. We agreed that love knows no age boundaries.

Ed was also married. It was a loveless marriage. They had been dating while he was in college and then he joined the ROTC to get into the Air Force. He passion was flying. He had no interest in getting married, but allowed himself into getting talked into it. Turns out, she just wanted the status of being a military wife. The only thing she cared about was his checkbook. They had 2 children, he was in the Air Force for 10 years and moved back home to help his dad with the family dairy farm and logging business. He had been planning on getting a divorce after his youngest, his son, got out of high school, which was the following year, 1992. We made our plans, got out of our bad marriages and started living together a year after our meeting. We had 25 total, wonderful, loving years together, married 18 years, 3 months, 12 days of those 25 years. We took our time with the formality of actually getting married. We were so much in love, having so much fun together.

Even though we were both married to others at the time, we knew we were meant for each other and it all worked out the way it was meant to. What I wouldn't give to be able to go back and do it all over again. When I reflect on our first meeting, I find it ironic that Ed left this life 25 years almost to the day we met.

• Members

I was in the Navy In San Diego and like all good Sailors ,  I went to a country bar and that's where I meet her, 3 months later we were married .

Autocharge

• Members

I met my husband and soulmate in 1983. It was definitely meant to be.  My girlfriend had asked me to go with her to a bar and her boyfriend was going to hook me up with his friend, but his friend never made it.  My husband to be was there waiting for a "blind" date who never showed.  So my girlfriend's boyfriend asked my husband to be over and the rest, as they say, is history.  We talked all night and we both knew this is it, this is forever. 

We moved in together 3 months later and 3 months after that we were married.  We had been married for 33 1/2 years. And I will miss him every day. 

Archived