Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Do I feel guilty?

More

• Members

During the past few weeks I have attended a support group that focuses on writing in the form of prompts given.  We have one week left and this group has been a blessing.  Since my Gram died in January, I have been writing daily/weekly during my grieving process.  Some in journal form, some in poetry form.  Most writings have been focused on her and most have focused on the pain of losing her and some other secondary feelings (sadness, loneliness, anger).  In this support group I have written a few pieces that have not been about her, I have written pieces that are not full of pain.  In reflection of this, should I feel guilty?  I have such a deep fear of forgetting her.  Maybe it is irrational.  She meant the world to me in life and even in her death.  She deserves to be remembered.  I feel a little guilty that I have written other pieces, that some are not tinged with sadness.

• Members

More,

Of course you should not feel guilty, although that is an emotion many people struggle with as they continue to live after the death of their loved ones. Your fear of forgetting her is normal too, and I can tell you that you will never forget her. Ever. So, try to relax about that piece of grieving. Being able to write pieces that do not tinge on sadness is wonderful. Writing is a great way to heal, isn't it? 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Dear More,

From everything you have said, I know you loved your grandmother deeply. I know its easier said than done, but please don't feel guilty. We have to make room to express ourselves about many things and many different people. I believe that is part of the grief journey. Thank you for sharing your poetry with us.

I'm happy to hear the support group has been helpful. I am starting one in September and hope to gain some insights. Part of me feels like I am going in circles so we'll see how it goes.

Please don't worry about writing pieces that are no longer tinged with sadness. I think this is part of the journey as well. I know your grandmother would want you to find your joy again.

• Members

Thank you ModKonnie and Reader for your thoughts and comments.  We had our last writers group last week.  What a journey it has been.  And what a journey I will continue to be on.  I am slowly discovering  myself and what I am capable of in this process.  I will continue to write, to see where it takes me on this journey.  The group leader left us with some lovely supplies, one being a journal for self-exploration, that I am excited to go through.  I appreciate your insight and feedback.

Archived