Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Tomorrow is the day.. Losing my Sweet Girl

PeggysMom11

• Members
PeggysMom11

Tomorrow is the day we must say goodbye to our beloved cat Peggy, she was diagnosed with large cell lymphoma in her lungs about 6 weeks ago after a trip to the emergency vet due to labored breathing and being lethargic.

We have tried chemotherapy since the diagnosis but unfortunately her lymphoma has not responded and her chest keeps filling with fluid. 

We have made the decision to have her pass peacefully at home where she is comfortable but I am really struggling with this. I know that is it best for her, her chest will be full again by probably Monday and we would have to drag her into the vet to have it drained which causes her a lot of pain and discomfort.

I feel so much guilt and regret already, I don't want to euthanize her I don't feel like I can do it.

I just can't stand the thought of her not being around, she is literally the best cat. I know I will never have another cat like her and I am just heartbroken. I'm already not sleeping and fear what tomorrow will bring.

• Members

Don't feel guilty, she knows you love her. My boy just passed away June 25th in my arms at home. He was only 4 1/2, he had many issues since I adopted him from a bad breeder. I called hospice as I knew he'd be ready the next day, he was suffering, he may have had lymphoma as well. I was treating him for,CRF aggressively since October 2016, I took him to the UofF vet school to get a transplant even, don't know where the money would have come from, but I would have found it no matter what. Unfortunately, he only had one kidney and they discovered he had HCM as well. It was tragic as I had a special bond with him. You will heal, and love another, it won't be the same but you will.  I can't believe I'm able to tell you this myself as I thought I didn't want to live the first few weeks afterwards.  My thoughts and prayers are with you. 

• Moderators

PeggysMom11,

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat.  I didn't see this yesterday, usually it highlights unread posts but it didn't.  Putting her to sleep at home seems the kindest way and I hope it went well.  I know it's hard, today waking up without her, I've been through this too many times, very tough.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

Dear PeggysMom 11,

I read your message on Friday, but I wasn't able to answer. I didn't know what to say and I didn't want to confront myself again with the hurt I felt weeks ago when I went through the same ordeal. But I feel like I should've said something to comfort you and let you know that you're not alone in all this.

On 27-7-2017 at 5:30 PM, PeggysMom11 said:

I feel so much guilt and regret already, I don't want to euthanize her I don't feel like I can do it

But what would the alternative be? I know you want to hold on, but that would also mean that your little darling would be suffering. Don't feel guilty about letting her go, you're only human. You did what you could and the limit has been reached. This is the point where her pain stops and your pain starts. But I know you can get over it ... that's why this forum exists. Share your grief and read about others how they deal with their loss: in this you're not alone!

Archived