Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Coping with a missing sick cat

Kazar

• Members

I have 2 rescue cats which I've had since they were kittens, Zak and Pushka, both 12 years old. Zak had x-rays/ultrasound 3 weeks ago that showed a mass in his lung, probably cancer. Now he has gone missing.

( My other cat Pushka had to have emergency surgery for a urinary tract blockage last Tuesday and only came home yesterday after 6 nights at the vets).

I am distraught about Zak. He went missing this morning after being spooked by a cat that's been coming into our garden a lot recently. He has never been away for more than a couple of hours before and it's been 12 now. I think he may have gone away to die, which sounds over dramatic, but I've been through such emotional pain these last few weeks coming to terms with him dying soon that I'm thinking the worst. I can't cope with thinking he's probably in pain and scared and I can't do anything to help. I nearly lost Pushka but got him to the vet in time last week and today he is not eating and so it's difficult for me to get him to take his medication. I'm a bit of a mess as I've been through the emotional ringer with them both in the last few weeks.

• Members

Hey my friend, oh how my heart aches for you as well your cat.....you're not being dramatic, you're just missing your baby. I had situation years ago about a feral cat I took care of for years suddenly disappeared and was never seen again. I believe in my heart that animals like your baby has an instinct to leave when they feel their "time" is near, just know and pray that God has control of everything and that He is looking out and taking care of your baby. You've done a tremendous job for being a cat parent and going out your way to be the best caregiver you can be for God's creatures!!!! I applaud your unselfish love and I pray for your strength and encouragement to continue on in life....I'm here if you need an outlet to talk to about anything!!! We all here have some common things together: bereavement, passion for animals, and unselfish love for animals and humankind!!! Stay strong my dear friend!!!!

• Moderators

Kazar,

I can imagine how you're feeling because I have gone through that, it's very hard not knowing where/how they are.  I lost Autumn years ago, she was 14 and very arthritic, I think she went off to die.  My other pets are buried on my property and I wish she could have too, but I think she's nearby somewhere, maybe even on my place (I have acreage).  A year ago Miss Mocha disappeared, like Zak she had never left for more than a few minutes, but she was in great health so I think something got her.  Not knowing makes it difficult to have closure and very difficult to adjust.  

My heart is with you, I know it's difficult, I hope Pushka pulls through and you find out something about Zak.

Archived