Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Potential loss of a beloved cat

Missford

• Members

Recently, my 4 year old cat collapsed and had to be rushed to the vet. We were told his lungs were full of fluid and that he almost didn't make it. We have often worried about his heart as when he was a kitten, we were told that having a heart condition would a risk considering his breed and the fact he was the only kitten in a litter. We were allowed to take him home and he's has been coming on leaps and bounds up until now. He became breathless again this morning and I can't help but see that this means he's going to die. 

This cat has always been really special to me and I always thought it was fate that he came to us (he was born an only kitten just before my 15th birthday). We have such a good bond and I don't think I could ever love another cat as much as him. 

Im writing this for support as at the moment I don't have a lot of people to turn to. I live with my mum who struggles to cope with things like this after her son and father were diagnosed with cancer months apart. This has had an signification impact on her and as a result she has disconnected her self from the situation. I'm having to deal with the vet calls and organising appointments and I'm really struggling. Currently, my boyfriend, whom I would usually rely on for emotional support, is away on holiday and I don't want to ruin his holiday over " just a cat".

i realise that I still have my precious boy but it's hard not knowing if he'll be alright or if this is the end. I dunno where else to turn to for support. 

Amy 

• Moderators

It's not "just a cat", it's YOUR cat.  I would think it'd be alright to turn to your BF, even while he's on vacation, he won't have the same emotional connection to your cat that you do and he can be a support to you.  

You have a special needs cat.  It's impossible to predict how long his life will be.  Take one day at a time and enjoy each day you have with him.  We all know our pets will die before we do and that we'll have to deal with loss at some point...we just hope it's later rather than sooner.  I wouldn't say you won't love another animal as much, but differently, they are all very unique.  I do understand your feeling that way though, because it's how I feel about my dog.  But I also know that anything is possible, even if I can't see it.  

What are the special qualities you love about your cat?  Do you have a picture you can post?

• Members

Thank you for getting back to me so soon and thank you for being so understanding and kind!

Charlie has a perfect mix of sweet and cheeky that I just adore. At times I think he thinks he's actually a dog because he loves to come for a walk with us. He's learnt the sound of our car and rushes over to it before it comes into the drive so we can open the door and let him ride in the car up the drive. He likes to watch natural programs on tv and does take his eyes of the screen. He's also the most affectionate cat and loves to cuddle under the blanket in your bed! There is a bond between us that I cannot describe! 

What was your dog like? 

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

• Moderators

My dog is still with me, but at 9 1/2 I know I'm on borrowed time, his breed lives 9 years, but I cook for him and take really good care of him, so who know, maybe I'll have a few more years with him.  He's Golden Retriever and Siberian Husky, he got up to 140 lbs but I've got him to goal weight now, 112.  He's very strong willed (Husky), stubborn (Husky), does the Husky talk, very very smart, loving, goofy.  He got his barrel body from the Golden Retriever, also his cysts.  Most of him seems Husky though.  I relate to the stubbornness and strong will, it kind of makes me smile.  He has so much personality, and of all of the dogs I've ever owned, he is the smartest.  You know how dogs wind themselves around a tree and get stuck?  Arlie automatically knows to go the other direction to free himself.  

My cat, Kitty (I know, original, huh?  I got her when she was 10 and was already named) has had a hard life before coming to me.  She grew up in a trailer court in Portland, OR, lots of drug addicts.  She's been adopted and abandoned there so many times!  She'd never been to a vet.  She had countless litters until someone fixed her...not a vet, a home job, I hate to even think about that one.  She's survived it all.  My ex moved out, leaving her, and he went back the next day and she was sitting forlornly in the empty spot.  He drove her to me (we never lived together, long story), halfway across the state.  Then he disappeared on both of us.  I wasn't looking for or needing another cat, but I identified with her in her abandonment, and I promised her a forever home.  Needless to say, she's the grumpiest cat I've ever seen, I don't know anyone else that would put up with her, all the more reason to give her a forever home.  She's 21 now, and she's earned her retirement.  I've almost lost her to sickness a couple of times, and it scared me how much I love her.

I lost my other cat a year ago, she was beautiful, feminine, my Miss Mocha.  I'll never find another like her.  I just know how unique each of them are, how special, what treasures they are to us.  I've learned to appreciate each and every day with my animals, you never know how long you'll have them, and loss and grief have taught me appreciation.  

Charlie seems a perfect name for your cat, very beautiful!  Thank you for sharing your pictures. Arlie, Miss Mocha, Kitty, in order.

IMG_2614.jpg

Miss Mocha.jpg595cdebdecb12_Kitty123008-3Sm.thumb.jpg.d466353960483027405e8d6c8ecd4d95.jpg

Archived