Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My beloved cat

Gem55

• Members

I am heartbroken, and can't stop crying, my beauty of my cat, died at home on Friday, I feel so guilty that i could not save her, I nursed her and laid her in her cat basket, she was breathing erratically, rang vets, and was waiting till friend could take me, I sat with my cat and stroked her, and said I loved her, just rest, I answered door to friend, and when I went back to cat, she had died, 2 days on I am still sobbing 

• Members

Dear Gem55,

I'm sorry for your loss. Of course you're still sobbing after two days ... the loss is recent and you've only just started mourning.

I recently lost my cat and I can relate to the way you comforted your cat. You nursed her, rang vets and waited for people to help you ... that means that you did everything within your power to save her. And there's only so much we can do. You're only human ...

I know that nursing a pet can be very exhausting. I tried to take care of mine for two months. But I'm not a miracle worker.

Please stop the guilt: you told your cat that you loved her and to rest ... and she did. You may not have been there and then when she died, but you did give her 'permission' to rest. That was your 'goodbye' even if you didn't realize it then. Don't feel guilty about it ... in hindsight we can always blame ourselves, but that is with the knowledge we have now. I think you did great and I do see positive things despite what happened. Think about the stress of bringing the cat to the vet, for instance ... would that have been worth it? I don't know!

I can only give you a virtual hug, but believe me: it's as real as it can get  ... (((Gem55)))

• Moderators

I am so sorry, Gem.  lzegrim gave you a good response, I agree.  It is so hard to lose any of our family members, and she was an integral part of your life, it's going to take much time to adjust to being without her and even then, you will continue to miss her.

• Members

I. So sorry for your loss, my baby died in my arms June 25th. He was sick since I got him from a terrible breeder, he was only 4 1/2 when he passed. I was bringing him to the vets for fluids every single day, although I was broke, I took him to the Uof F, to see about a transplant, he only had kidney and they discovered HCM. Not a viable candidate. I would have found the money somehow, but it wasn't an option. I felt guilt for weeks as well couldn't euthanize him, I syringe fed him, slept on the floor with him, and the last few nights even I. The closet with him. Although the vets said he was probably just nauseous, I think he was suffering. So I feel guilt over that. It's hard to come to terms with, but I finally stopped crying every day, I'm still deeply depressed but trying to get better. I have his brother who I love so much and have to keep to going, but as I Del guilty for loving Zakk more. We had a special bond, and it may have been because he was always sick since day 1. My thoughts and prayers are with you. 

• Members
Weeclaire1984

So sorry to hear about your loss , don't feel guilty you did your best by your cat and I'm sure she would have known you were trying to help her 

it's always heartbreaking loosing a pet they become such a large part of your life my cats are like children to me I lost my first cat on Monday he was 15 it was cancer that ended his life still absolutely heart broken and feel lost without him (it's hard not to feel guilty and wonder could I have done more) 

big hugs 

• Moderators

Zakksmom,

We don't love all of our animals exactly the same, we love unique things about them, and there will be one that especially seems just the right fit for you and you naturally feel closer.  That doesn't mean you don't love the others, just differently.  I hope you can learn to let go of the guilt, it's not deserved.  We take care of all of our pets to the best of our ability and show love to them, in time sometimes we grow closer.

I lost Miss Mocha a year ago June 3rd.  She was beautiful, feminine, dainty, had the sweetest little voice, used to sleep snuggled up against me.  I've had Kitty many years, and she was quite opposite in many ways, she is not delicate, is demanding and loud, cranky.  But I've come to love her for who she is, an amazing cat that defies the odds.  She's 21 and can still run like the wind, can jump 8' up onto our deck from the ground below.  She's still a great mouser and her physical condition at her age amazes me.  She's not a cuddler, she keeps her distance, but I've discovered she loves belly rubs so I give them to her.

My hope is that in time you will feel even more for your other cat and discover things about him that will bring the two of you closer.  He'll never be like his brother but that's okay.

• Members

Thank you KayC, I do love his brother, and I would do anything for him the same as I did for Zakk if God-forbid 

anything happened to him. Zakk was just so different, maybe because he always had issues from that awful breeder  I felt so sorry for him. He was also very spoiled because of it though. That made him even cuter, he had different expressions, if he was mad and pouty, very cute. I will get a new friend for his brother, but I wil never forget Zakk. We still talk to him every day, as I have to have  faith he can hear us and is still with us.  

Archived