Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Reaching out for help

music101

• Members

I'm at a place where I kind of feel stuck in my grief but I don't know what to do. My dad died 3 years ago when I was 16 and I thought I was kind of over my grief. I was really sad for a while but then about a year later I seemed okay. I thought I was fine and I think everyone else did too, but now I'm not so sure. For the past year, I've missed my dad immensely and I just haven't been myself. I've been angry and depressed, but I've tried to hid it, especially from my mom because I don't want her to worry.  People seem to have forgotten what I've gone through and I'm scared to bring up my pain because I know it makes people uncomfortable. I don't really know how to reach out for help, even to trusted adults in my life. I know there are people who care about me, I'm just scared because they think I'm okay and I'm not sure I am. 

• Members

Dear music101,

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't think we ever really get over our grief. I've heard it compared to an ocean wave and its not uncommon for a large wave to hit us at a later date. Facing your 20's soon is a reminder of the next phase of your life and how much you would like to have your dad's advice.

I know its hard to share feelings even with family. But please don't be afraid to reach out. There are many resources in the community. For myself, I have tried counselling, joining a support group, and visiting websites like What's Your Grief and The Grief Healing Blog.

No matter what your thoughts and feelings, always remember they are normal and natural.

Please know we are all here to listen and support you. Sending all my thoughts and prayers

• Members

Music101,

I am very sorry about the loss of your father. I'm sure your mother would want to know how you are struggling. Others, too, would be willing to help. The very best way to heal is to talk to people. You've suffered a tremendous loss in your life, and the impact is huge. It's okay to be feeling how you feel, but you do need to tell others. You may be surprised that they already know you aren't doing okay. They may be waiting for you to reach out. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

Archived