Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

After nearly 17 months ........

M88

• Members

I felt real excitement today!!!  Late this afternoon I was chatting with friend on the ph when I happened to glance out the window to see the most magnificently bright double rainbow!!  Instinct just kicked in.  I cut the call short, grabbed camera and felt all the old feelings of excitment and anticipation as I drove the kilometre to the beach at the end of my street.  Sadly the rainbows were fading quickly by the time I got on the beach, but the light was still nice, the breeze cold & fresh and the water rough.  For half an hour or so I really felt like my old self again!!! 

Back home again there was no darling to look at my downloaded pix to and chat about my wee adventure.  I have since emailed them and discussed them with loved ones who enjoy photography :)  I feel hope - without doubt,  there is hope!!  I am capable of feeling alive again :) 

Do any of you ever experience something as sudden and short lived like this?  

• Members

4 hours ago, M88 said:

I am capable of feeling alive again

It's so evident from your post that you were excited - good for you.   You have appeared to capture something that no words could describe - something amazing in nature.  Something as awesome as a rainbow is one of nature's most beautiful gifts.  You felt alive again - that's because are growing.   As you grow in your capacity to see and enjoy the delights God has placed in your life, life can become a beautiful experience of discovering its endless wonder.  I agree, there is always hope - being able to see light after darkness - without a doubt - hope.  Give thanks to God; your blessings are just beginning.

• Members
8 hours ago, M88 said:

I felt real excitement today!!!  Late this afternoon I was chatting with friend on the ph when I happened to glance out the window to see the most magnificently bright double rainbow!!  Instinct just kicked in.  I cut the call short, grabbed camera and felt all the old feelings of excitment and anticipation as I drove the kilometre to the beach at the end of my street.  Sadly the rainbows were fading quickly by the time I got on the beach, but the light was still nice, the breeze cold & fresh and the water rough.  For half an hour or so I really felt like my old self again!!! 

Back home again there was no darling to look at my downloaded pix to and chat about my wee adventure.  I have since emailed them and discussed them with loved ones who enjoy photography :)  I feel hope - without doubt,  there is hope!!  I am capable of feeling alive again :) 

Thank you, this is an inspiring story, truly what you felt must have been so beautiful. To feel such sudden and absolute hope and live is what I consider glimpsing the Devine. A blessing, for you, and you recognized it. 

I'm looking forward to my "rainbow". 

Andy

• Members

Midge, Thank you for sharing that awesome epiphany of hope and inspiration! I hope the rest of us are blessed in the same manner with something of encouragement.  (HUGS)

• Moderators
16 hours ago, M88 said:

Oh yes!  That is what I call "the little joys"!  I lost my big joy, George, but I have learned to value and appreciate "the little joys" that come my way, no matter how small, no matter how fleeting.  It is living in the present moment, and it is good...to live any differently would be to miss something.

• Members
18 hours ago, M88 said:

Good for you! The joyful moments, however fleeting, are something to hold onto tightly. I am glad you got to experience that. I am still at a point where I count seconds of joy or happiness. 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

I am still at a point where I count seconds of joy or happiness. 

You mean it can go on longer than seconds? :)

• Members

Thank you all for your lovely replies.  I'm so glad I've got you guys to tell about this sudden, powerful burst of feeling like my old self.  I'm still so amazed at how naturally instinct set me in motion to do what I've always loved doing - taking photographs.  I didn't have to think, will I get my camera out or not - I just did it !!  I had been resigned to never feeling alive and excited over anything ever again.  This must be what healing feels like. 

I sincerely hope all your rainbows aren't too far away and I hope they come as powerful and exciting as mine did. 

• Members

I got a good half hour out of mine and still feel better than I have in the past 17 months.  

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, M88 said:

I got a good half hour out of mine and still feel better than I have in the past 17 months.  

;)  1/2 hour, that's a lot!

• Members
3 hours ago, M88 said:

I had been resigned to never feeling alive and excited over anything ever again.  This must be what healing feels like. 

What you experienced is what I feel our loved ones wish for us. To feel alive and enjoy this life in the same manner we did when they were here. Your hubby is smiling down on you!

• Members
On 6/4/2017 at 4:11 AM, M88 said:

M88,

My wife died Nov 2015. One year later I took a trip by myself to Iceland primarily for photography and to try to stay distracted from reality. I had not picked up my camera since she died. I arrived at 6:30 AM in a rainstorm coming in sideways and for the 1st 8 hours I wondered what I was doing there. I felt more sad than when I was home.

This was supposed to be a trip that my wife and I were going to take. But as the weather cleared and I started shooting and seeing the beautiful landscape, the old spark flickered and I enjoyed my trip. So, yes, there is light and life goes on. I'll be honest, as we here know, grief doesn't just go away, and my mood goes up and down like a rollercoaster.

• Members

Time is the one thing we need to hold on to. As you say, time is what will bring us the rainbow in our life, pain might not go away, but with time the willing of live and joy will settle in our lives one more time, and with that the opportunity to honor the love of our love one.

• Moderators

BSL,

Thank you for sharing that with us, I'm glad the spark flickered and you were able to enjoy your trip.  We all need to find something that gives us will to live.

• Members

BSL, Thank you for sharing your trip, and giving us all hope that at sometime we might also see a flicker of spark down the road.

• Members

Thank you so much for sharing your rainbow. We all need hope. Hope that one day we might be happy or just not as miserable as today. Grief described as a roller coaster is so fitting. Been having a couple very low days. I want a rainbow.

• Moderators

When my husband died there was a tremendous thunder and lightening storm going on (I always said he went out with a bang) AND a triple rainbow!  My sister captured it on film although you can't make out the third one it's very faint.  I used that image for my "thank you" notes to people following his service.

061905-7.jpg

• Members

Awesome scenery and beautiful pic! Triple rainbows are rare. George put a lot of love and energy into that sign from Heaven!!

• Moderators

:)  If one has to die, he sure did go out spectacularly!  Maybe he shook all of heaven with his presence!  He'd get a kick out of that.

Archived