Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

9 months and moving forward

4Hdad

• Members

Today, I declined to renew my CPR certification. It means classes I've been through a dozen times along with an actual test performing CPR compressions on a dummy. The last time I gave compressions was on my wife after I found her, and it was of course too late. I knew it was futile while I was doing it, but once it's started you don't stop until someone else arrives to take over the situation.

If I'm ever in the situation, I know how to perform CPR and the little piece of paper in my wallet being out of date won't change that. But, unless and until I'm confronted with such a life-and-death situation...I just don't want to do that ever again.

• Members

Do not give it a second thought. No one can fault you on not renewing the certificate. All of us here certainly understand why. You will retain the knowledge for CPR, just in case. Hopefully, the situation will never reoccur for you to have to use it or relive a nightmare.

• Members
On 7/22/2017 at 11:51 AM, KMB said:

When it comes to a new relationship, so much reflection and soul searching comes into play about what do we really need and want.

It's been a little while since I've posted here so I have a lot of reading to catch up on. I miss my "grief train" friends!  Biut I have been much busier now that I'm finally back to work, which is going very well. Tough to get back to the daily grind but it does feel pretty good getting back to a somewhat "normal" schedule and feeling like I'm part of the world again. Also my daughter is home from college for a few weeks and I am so happy to see her!  

Now the big news that I feel awkward about sharing. Just for something to do, about a month or so ago I found myself signing up on an on line dating site. It was entertaining if nothing else. I did actually go on a couple dates but I felt so indifferent about the whole thing and I'm sure my indifference showed through. But I did end up communicating with someone and I found myself actually "liking" him. Whatever that means. We have been on 2 dates and I'm certainly not feeling indifferent with him. There's definitely something there. So easy to talk to and very comfortable together. Such mixed emotions. So sad that it's not Pat that I'm going in a date with. But it's also nice, and very surprising, that I can feel this way about another person.  Taking it one step at a time. 

• Members

HHFaith,  Wow! You have good news all the way around. I am sincerely happy for you! Your new job is bringing back a "normal" balance for you, which helps your journey to evolve. It is also comforting to have your daughter home to spend time with her for a time, no matter how short it is. Those are some of the moments of joy we need.

Dating again is a huge step. It takes a leap of faith and an open heart, which you have plenty of, my friend. God and Pat are looking out for you and providing their support and love in inspiring you to keep moving forward in your life's journey.

Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated. I wish you well and you are a remarkable, strong lady---taking it one step at a time!

• Moderators

HHFaith,

I'm so glad for you!  Thank you for coming back and updating us, I hope you'll continue to check in with us now and then.  As there are others here that would like to find someone again someday, I think this gives them hope of that possibility...not that this is a permanent relationship, I know it's too soon to know, but that it seems good.  Be prepared for your feelings to run the gamut, and be all over the place, even conflicting feelings at the same time, that is okay and normal.  Just let yourself feel everything and don't discount possibilities. :D

• Members
16 minutes ago, KayC said:

Be prepared for your feelings to run the gamut, and be all over the place, even conflicting feelings at the same time, that is okay and normal.

On 7/30/2017 at 8:33 AM, HHFaith said:

I found myself signing up on an on line dating site.

HHFaith, Listen to KayC and take the time to catch up on my thread. What a roller coster it's been.

Autocharge

• Members

KMB, KayC and Autocharge,  thank you. Yes it's another hill on the roller coaster. Yesterday I found myself happy, dare I say, one minute. And crying uncontrollably the next.  My daughter was worried. Wanted to get me some antidepressants!  I tried to explain it was happy tears. But it was really tears of a tornado of mixed emotions. Just when you think you have your emotions somewhat in check...Bam!!  

• Members
On 7/28/2017 at 3:00 PM, 4Hdad said:

I declined to renew my CPR certification.

4HDad, I hear you. It's all I can do to go to Hospitals, or even see someone in a wheelchair now. My dad just had a hip replacement. Its been tough seeing him.

Autocharge

• Members
10 hours ago, HHFaith said:

KMB, KayC and Autocharge,  thank you. Yes it's another hill on the roller coaster. Yesterday I found myself happy, dare I say, one minute. And crying uncontrollably the next.  My daughter was worried. Wanted to get me some antidepressants!  I tried to explain it was happy tears. But it was really tears of a tornado of mixed emotions. Just when you think you have your emotions somewhat in check...Bam!!  

The roller coaster is so tough. My previous life was always pretty close to baseline. I never really wavered too far from there. Happiness was where I resided most often and that was a life I liked. After 04/01/17 it all changed. I got strapped in to the biggest scariest roller coaster on earth. It is such a stark contrast to where I was just a day before. Unbelievable lows and only marginal highs that don't even approach the old baseline. My best days don't approach the old lows. It's quite a shift in my day to day existence.

• Moderators

The emotions will settle down with time.  I seem to have my hardest times when I am going through something difficult...loss of job, dealing with construction workers, health issues, financial problems, loss of pets or others.  At least it's not the roller coaster it was.

Archived