Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Anxiety over own death

#1 Brat

• Members

Does anyone have anxiety of leaving your children too soon now after a death of a parent? My siblings and I don't speak anymore since the day my mom died so I'm feeling even more alone. My husband has one sibling but they do not communicate very much. I'm so scared to have my daughter feel like I do and she's under the age of five. Freaking myself out. I have no reason like an illness to think this way just my mom died just by choking on dinner. It's that easy to go from a big family to just your husband and small child in your life the most. It's reality...it can happen. How do I stop laying at night worrying? Highly sensitive I guess.....

• Members

I think this is natural thought after losing a beloved parent. It is hard. I know its hard to refocus your thoughts elsewhere. Someone made this suggestion to me, to think about my grief for 15 minutes a day but then put it away. And then try to put my focus somewhere else.

We only have today. And for today love and cherish your daughter. My parents had a will and even bought burial plots in advance. Sometimes making these type of arrangements seem morbid or tempting fate, but for others it seems like a way to take control. And sometimes making these plans give people peace of mind. Try to do something to ease your mind if you can.

Grief is so hard. My mind is still racing as well about all the what ifs. But I try to stop if I can and just focus on something else and distract myself. I can be as simple has reading a happy book just to give my mind something else to focus on.

Take care of yourself and try to be as gentle and kind as you can.

Archived