Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

In a bad situation

shiley

• Members

Hi,

My daughter has severe brain damage. We recently diagnosed this. She is still a baby, but we are worried that she might have problems once she grows up. And she may not be able to work or live independently. We also want to have peace of mind and know what actually happened before we have another baby. My pregnancy was quite normal. My waters went early, around 50 hours before I was induced. When I went to the hospital, I was told that everything was fine and I was sent back home. Since it was my first baby, I thought things must be fine, and that is why they send me back home. But, I continued to have pain and I went back after 2 days. I was booked in to be induced straight away. I had troubles delivering my daughter and forceps had to be used to take her out.

We want to take a legal action against our local hospital because we really want to know things in detail about what happened if there was any malpractice.

We have applied for a legal claim with the help of a child injury lawyer in Toronto. I am sure this claim is going to take years, and we really don’t mind that. We are neither bothered about the money or compensation side of things, we just want to know if the hospital has played any part in my daughter's disability.

• Members

Dear Shiley,

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I know there is a lot going on and the care of your daughter is the main priority. Your story is not uncommon. Doctors are not perfect. I would consider all your legal options. I know the medical system is very hard to navigate, but I would look at all your options. I hope you can find all the answers you are looking for.

Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

Archived