Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my husband, now i may lose my cat

cp9042

• Members

Hi, my husband passed away three months ago, and now my beloved cat has kidney problems.  She has gotten me through so much since he died, and I don't know what I would do if she too also died.  She is my rock and it always makes it easier to come home knowing she is there.

I took her to the vet yesterday for tests.  She called this morning with bad news.  Her kidney functions are not too good.  She said I could have her hospitalized or treat her on an outpatient basis.  I chose to do outpatient so that I could spend all the time I can with her.  They are going to give her antibiotics and IV fluids.  She did not say her prognosis was dire, but guarded.  As Pearl is an older cat (11 1/2 years) I am not sure how well she can bounce back. I am praying everyday that she will be okay.  I love her so much.

Pearl.JPG

• Members

That is indeed a tough pill to swallow. After losing your husband you had your cat to turn to for unconditional love to ease some of the pain. I am so sorry you are experiencing this battle so soon after. You are in my prayers.

• Members

cp9042, I am so sorry. Those of us with pets know how much more precious they are to us and for our own well being and comfort. I have both a cat and a dog in their senior years and I cannot help but feel if I lost either one now, it will just keep me in the grief pit forever.

Your Pearl is beautiful and regal looking! Same age as mine. I will pray for her health so hopefully she can be with you for many years yet. Kidney disease in cats is common but can maintained with meds and a different diet. (HUGS) to you both!

• Members

cp9042

Currently I'm not a pet owner, but have been in the past - a cat as well as a dog.  They both passed away and while it was hard for us (we had them for over 10 years) it was really tough for my son; with that said, my husband and I decided not to get any more animals.  The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.  Send prayers your way for Pearl to get well soon.

• Members

I have an 18 year old husky/pit bull mix that has been the greatest companion one could hope for. The fact that she lives and my wife doesn't still astounds me. The dog has severe arthritis, hearing loss and diminished sight. When she passes, it's going to be another difficult loss to endure, and there's been so much already. I know how much joy and love animals bring to our lives, and my heart and prayers go out to you and Pearl (love the name, our old girl is named Jewel). I still have my wife's little Yorkie, a cat and a snake that'll outlive me, but this dog is special. She's family, like your Pearl. 

Peace and comfort,

Andy  

• Moderators

CP,

One year after George died, our cat King George died of cancer, he was 19.  It was very tough losing him.  George's cat Tigger ran away two months after he died, when he realized George wasn't coming back.  It's very tough dealing with the loss of our animals on top of losing our spouse, I remember crying out to God, "Can't you leave me anything?!" I wailed.  The anguish.  I hope you can have your Pearl with you longer.  I feel for you going through this.

• Members

An update on Pearl.  She has gained back some weight, but it is a struggle for us.  I had to take her for fluids Saturday, and I have to take her again today and tomorrow.  She is also getting some meds to help her have a BM.  And she is eating, but not much.  I am trying my best to help her all I can.  Please keep the prayers coming. 

• Moderators

cp, I will.  Twice this year I thought I was losing Kitty...she's 21 and overall in great health, but twice she acted like I was about to lose her and she bounced back.  Maybe cats really do have nine lives, I hope so, but I don't know how many she used up before I got her at age 10.  Praying for Pearl...

• Members

cp,Keeping you and Pearl in my prayers. I hope she continues to improve and stabilize. I know it is hard on you to get her back and forth to the vet so often. Pearl appreciates your love and care and you are being a wonderful pet mom!  (HUGS)

• Members

Pearl has had her ups and downs.  I have had to take her almost everyday to the vet for subcutaneous fluids.  She is improving, but I am not sure what will happen if I don't take her in every day.  I will do it as long as I can.  Hopefully she will improve.

• Members

Thank you everyone for your continued prayers and support.  I went to bed yesterday drained.  This morning I woke up and I feel defeated and depressed.  Even though Pearl is improving, I just feel very depressed.  I was feeling less sad earlier in the week, but now I am very sad.  

• Members
3 minutes ago, cp9042 said:

Thank you everyone for your continued prayers and support.  I went to bed yesterday drained.  This morning I woke up and I feel defeated and depressed.  Even though Pearl is improving, I just feel very depressed.  I was feeling less sad earlier in the week, but now I am very sad.  

I felt pretty good yesterday evening after going to dinner with friends(diversions can be good). I woke up this morning feeling ok and then it just hit me in the shower. Looking at all of Lori's brushes, soaps, shampoos, make-up, etc... I just kept telling myself, "I'm gonna keep those things there for you baby 'cause you might need them" crying like a baby. It just hits me out of nowhere. I know some of how you're feeling this morning and I hope your day improves.

• Moderators

cp,

You've been through so much, you are drained, it's no wonder you feel sad and depressed, you're depleted emotionally!  Praying for you!  Just do today and tomorrow get up and do it all over again.  One day at a time, it's more than a platitude, it's now our way of life.  Praying for little Pearl...

• Members

Thank you Eagle-96 and KayC.  I feel a bit better, now I am at work.  But later I have to take Pearl for more fluids.  Right now, I think it will be a daily thing, but hopefully she will improve enough so that it will be less and less that I have to take her in.

KayC, you are right, one day at a time.  It is all I can do.  I pray that it will be easier in time, and that my rock (Stuie), is up in heaven directing me. I do miss him so much.

• Moderators

I know that Kitty has been at the brink a couple of times and bounced back, I hope your Pearl does also.  We feel so helpless when it's something we have no control over and it affects us so much!  

Archived