Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my dad to cancer

Elizabeth142629

• Members
Elizabeth142629

Hi everyone. I'm new to this and I just wanted some kind words of encouragement and understanding from people who have experienced loss. My dad passed away on Feb 6 after battling Lymphoma for one year. My dad was the kindest sweetest man I ever knew. He was my rock and the glue that held our family together. He was my best friend. I watched him go through this horrible battle and witnessed the effects it took on him. Everything from chemo appointments, weight loss, not being able to eat but wanting a cheeseburger so badly, to the appointment that made us all understand there was nothing more that could be done for my dad. Now he's gone and I can't believe it. I stay busy but the moment my mind is free, those horrible last days replay in my mind. I have so many beautiful memories of my dad, but I just can't shake all the bad ones. 

• Members

Dear Elizabeth,

My deepest condolences and sympathies on the passing your beloved dad. I'm so sorry for loss. I know the pain and sorrow is unbearable. It does feel surreal. I ask myself the same questions.

Its still very early in your grief. And its only normal to think about those last days. We all do it. But hopefully with more time the good memories will be the dominant ones.

I know everyone is different but I've tried a variety of things to cope with my grief. I have tried counselling, joining a support group, journaling, taking classes, visiting websites like What's Your Grief and The Grief Healing Blog. I think it takes a long time for your minds to understand the unfathomable.

Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time. Sending you all my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

I just talked to my dad on the phone from his hospital room. He could hardly speak. The cancer spread from his throat, to his liver, kidneys and lungs. The doctor said people that want to talk and see my dad should go to the hospital. I live 270 miles away.I told him I love him. He said the same back then my mom came on the line. She is like a rock.  He could leave us by the time I got there. Right now I feel as the best thing I can do is sit on my front steps, listen to the birds and watch the clouds.

I feel useless and selfish for thinking this is the best thing to do right now.

Archived