Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Skippy

John 1953

• Members

Yesterday I lost my loving pal Skippy. He was 16 and had obviously been deteriating for a while, he had lost weight over a period of time and had been drinking a lot more water.

However up until the past 5 days he had been eating normally and using his litter tray alright.

During the past few days it seemed as if he was having difficulty in both eating and drinking.

He also just used to sit staring at the wall or at anything really, it was awful to see him breathing so rapidly and then noisily.

He was the sort of cat who would not let you pick him up nor would he sit on my knee, he would rather be fussed on his terms you might say.

Because of his nature I haven't taken him to the vets since he was neutered as a kitten,thankfully I haven't had to,he's always been healthy.

However seeing him deteriating and now obviously suffering I thought I have to get him to the vets.

I knew he would fight and struggle when I was picking him up to put him in the pet carrier and he did.

I managed to get him in the carrier but unfortunately he died within a minute or so of being in there.

I am now feeling so guilty about attempting to get him to the vets and seeing his eyes looking at me that last time from inside the pet carrier,moments before he died.

When everything else in your world is currently wrong and you are alone and depressed, a pet is the one constant friend and then to lose him like this.it really is heartbreaking

• Members

John 1953, I am sorry for the loss of your furfriend, Skippy. 16 years is a remarkable age for a cat. My cat, Squeaks. is nearing 12. She brings me a lot of comfort along with my dog. The oldest cat I ever had made it to 14 yrs.  I know your heartache and devastation with losing Skippy. He sounds like he was his own cat, independent as cats are, but also your constant friend, the one being there for you to come home to. He loved you in his own way and you gave him a loving life and home. Pets are an extension of family and you are going to be grieving for your friend. You have plenty of memories that you will be able to look back on and cause you to smile. It will take time to get there.  (HUGS)

• Members

KMB

Thank you so much for your quick response and lovely kind words.

It means so much !

May I wish you,Squeaks and your Dog a long and happy life together.

Thank you once again. 

Best wishes (HUGS)

John

• Moderators

I'm sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is, I lost King George (cat) at 19 years to cancer, and Autumn (cat) 14, I'm dreading when Kitty goes, she's nearly 22.  They are big members of our family, all I have is my cat and dog.  It sounds like you have wonderful memories. 

• Members

Thank you so much Kay for replying to my post about Skippy and for attaching such a Beautiful and Heart Rendering video, I have just sat and watched it with Tears streaming down my face. 

It is one of the most Beautiful things I have ever seen,I shall keep that for the rest of my life.

May I wish you and your family,your dog and Kitty all the best for the future and may you have many more years together.

Once again a huge thank you to you.

Take Care

Love John

• Moderators

I know how rough it is, especially when it's fresh.  We do adjust, do learn to continue living, but gosh it's hard in the beginning.  Hope of being with them keeps me going, I've lost so many over the years, but I know we'll join up again.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Archived