Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Both parents died last year

griever

• Members

My parents died within five months of each other last year. My mother was expected to pass, she had been ill for several years, but my father's death was unexpected. I am doing OK most of the time, but sometimes I have bad dreams and don't function well the next day. I watched both of them die in the hospital over a period of days. I would be interested to hear from people with a similar experience and how they are coping. Thanks.

• Members
Lisa morgan

This happened with my little sister also. First off, sorry for your loss. My grief started in 2004 and hasnt ended since! Its like a black cloud over my head. Lost husband, little brother, mother, and little sister. But i can relate with you when it comes to my sister. She died at 40 of metastatic lung cancer. Its hard to watch them in the bed just lying there and i felt so helpless. I begged my higher power to switch places with her. But i still jave work to do here. Grief is a complicated thing, i wish there was a way just to make it go away. You know what i did? Ive just recently got on the barnes & noble site and ordered workbooks. That you write down feelings memories and you LEARN the proper way to handle grief if there is such a thing. That way in time you can look back and see how your feelings have changed or differ. Thats what im doing besides counseling.

• Members

Dear griever,

I'm so sorry for your pain and sorrow. Losing two parents so close together is a terrible shock. I too lost my father in the hospital. Its been 7 months since his passing. Grief is a long and terrible journey. I hate it. I have tried everything I can to manage my thoughts and feelings. One day I feel like I can carry on and then the next day I hate the whole world. Maybe its too soon for me.

I know everyone is different. Keep trying things and see what works for you. I have tired counselling, grief support groups, reading, taking an art class, and journaling. Yet still I struggle.

Be kind to yourself. Day by day my friend.

Thinking of you. Sending you all my thoughts and prayers.

Archived