Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dad died when I was 15, learning to grieve at 19

Be9063

• Members

My dad was diagnosed with a brain tumour in November 2012 and died in November 2013 when I was 15 and my sisters were 11 and 8. After he died I distracted myself very quickly and wanted to remain strong so never really sought help, until I was 17, I briefly saw a school counselor however this stopped when I ran out of sessions. However, now I'm 19 and still haven't dealt with my emotions but I am finding myself feeling more upset and wanting to deal with the grief as it is, I feel, changing my relationship with my mum as she now has a boyfriend (I know she is entitled to be happy but I find it hard to deal with as I haven't grieved). I was just wondering if anyone had a similar situation and how they dealt with the death later on. 

Many thanks. 

• Members

Dear Be,

I'm very sorry for your loss. There is no wrong way or right way to grieve. Glad you want to take steps to address your grief.  Since my dad's passing I have tried a variety of things. Grief counselling, joining a grief support group, reading books, articles, different websites. Talking to friends. Writing in a journal. Trying an art class.

I was reading about Prince Harry. His mum passed when he was 12 and he said he didn't consider counselling till age 28. We are all so different.

I know you mentioned talking to a school counselor but ran out of sessions.  There are lots of good resources in the community or through church. I hope you find something that works for you.

Take care.  Sending you all my thoughts and prayers.

Archived