Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my soulmate

Lulu

• Members

This is very difficult for me to share but I feel so alone. My soulmate (I'll call her Lily) and I were together for almost 20 yrs but no one knew we were in a relationship. At least, if they knew, it was never talked about. We always referred to each other as roommates and best friends. Not everyone knew we lived together either. I think my family would have been accepting but most of her family wouldn't have been. 

It didn't matter. We were so happy in our own little world. We depended and relied on each other for just about everything. Within the last few years, our relationship became one of more companionship but we were still so happy. We talked everyday, fixed dinner, went shopping most weekends, we were just so happy and content with our lives together. She was always more outgoing than me and so I jokingly referred to her as my caretaker because she would do the things that I found difficult due to my introvert nature. She did not mind. She understood and accepted me as I was. She was the kindest, sweetest and most generous person ever. She passed away early April from cancer. She never lost hope that she would get better but unfortunately, that was not to be. It all happened so fast, I feel like she was unfairly stolen from me. I have so many emotions and thoughts of doubt and guilt that we, her family, her doctors didn't do enough for her to give her the fighting chance she deserved and wanted. It seems her family gave up on her as soon as the doctor said it was terminal without even exploring a second opinion. Her wishes were not considered and mine, of course, did not matter. I was not family after all. 

She's gone and no one understands my pain. I can't talk to friends, family, or coworkers about the true nature of my loss. I feel so lonely and lost without my sweet girl. I feel left behind. The house seems so empty without her. I bought it for her, she wanted a house so much, and now she's gone. 

I'm tired of people saying give it time, you'll make more friends, maybe a new best friend will come along. I don't want new or more friends. I want Lily. It won't happen, I know, but I can't accept or believe she's gone. I miss her so much. I miss her voice, her beautiful smile, her laugh, hugging her, rubbing her arm. I keep saying she deserved better. Why God? She was so faithful and prayed every day. Why didn't He save her?! I just feel so alone and sad. My life will never be the same again without her and I wish it could have been me instead of her. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm so very sorry for your loss.  I've always loved the name, Lily; it reminded me a beautiful flower, and I bet that is what she was.  I know the pain you're experiencing; I lost the love of my life of nearly 45 years just about 5 months ago and I'm still having difficulty believing that he's gone.  I've never known anyone to have died of cancer but can only imagine how hard it must be to go through and equally hard to watch someone you love go through it.

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

Why God? She was so faithful and prayed every day. Why didn't He save her?! I just feel so alone and sad. My life will never be the same again without her and I wish it could have been me instead of her. 

Losing a loved one is probably the most painful and difficult experience for anyone to endure. In some ways, I think it is more painful when we lose a loved one than if personally are experiencing sickness and great pain.  When we lose someone so dear to us, there are so many different emotions that confront us. These emotions can run the gamut of human feelings. What could I have done to help more? Why did God do this? I should have said this or done that. How will I survive on my own? 

Realize that suffering is a part of life. I think when we face and embrace the pain of losing someone so dear to us, we can see more quickly the light at the end of the tunnel. We eventually learn that light "does shine" through the darkness and we will feel peace again someday.  By not "facing the pain of loss", we place ourselves in an "artificial place" trying to protect ourselves. I do not think there are shortcuts to avoid or minimize the pain we feel when we lose a loved one. 

You're correct - your life will never be the same; it will be different - because it is different. Different does not necessary mean grim, dreary, or bleak;-  just different.   The love you shared with Lily will always be with you; Lily's spirit will always be with you; the memories you made and shared together will always be with you.  You may not know it, but if you take another look, you'll see how blessed you truly are.  God designed a women specially for you, put her into your life; allowed you to share 20 years together; allowed you to share your love for one another; she loved you for the rest of her life.  Count your blessings, not your misfortunes.   What keeps me going is my trust in God - you see, I know I'm going to see my Charles again someday; and this time I won't ever have to worry of parting from him again. There is great comfort in the promise of an eternal heaven with him. 

My prayer is for God to shine HIS beautiful light through you, despite your suffering. HIS amazing unconditional love is beyond your comprehension. I pray that love, compassion, acceptance, and peace will blossom in you as HIS presence lights your soul.

I hope you continue to post here; there is a camaraderie you won't find elsewhere.  We genuinely care for each person's well being and will help one another get through this difficulty journey. 

• Moderators

Oh Hon, I am so sorry you lost your Lily.  Your love for each other is very evident in your post.  I'm sorry things are so hard for you, no one was more family than you, it's so sad that it's not recognized legally. :(  Very unfair and not what either of you would have wanted.  

I don't know why, when we pray, we don't always get the answer we want.  I don't know why God doesn't intervene and grant us a miracle.  He does some, I don't know why not others.  When my husband died I was praying too.  I know there's a whole lot we don't understand and may not until we enter our next life.  I know God has been with me to comfort me in my grief journey these last 12 years and He will you too if you want Him to.  The first year I felt like my prayers bounced off heaven, but I think I was just in such abject misery nothing could get through it.  I made effort to look for good in each day, sometimes it was a stretch, but no matter how small, I embraced and appreciated that little joy.  The adjustment to our "life without" is a long one that requires much effort, and it can be exhausting.  Self care is very important especially now so even if you don't feel like it, try to eat something healthy, drink some water, and go for a walk.

You will know what is right for you.  Many people will offer advice, most unsolicited, but stick with what your gut tells you, you will know what you need.  (((hugs)))

• Members

Lily's cancer diagnosis took us by surprise because she was always so healthy and strong. We thought she had beat it but it came back with a vengeance and it was a rollercoaster of emotions when doctors said it's cancer, it's not cancer, and then yes it is cancer! From day one, I took care of her, took her to her appointments, chemo treatments, surgeries, and cooked her meals, changed her , bathed her, rubbed her when she was hurting. In the hospital and hospice, I stayed with her 24/7. I couldn't leave her side. When her family arrived, they swooped in and took over the decision making and I couldn't comfort Lily like I wanted to when they were around. I still stayed by her side and did my best to ensure she was being well taken care of. I prayed and I prayed for a miracle, but one never came. I've never questioned God and His will, but I'm struggling now. When I'm in church, I am in tears because I don't understand why He didn't save my Lily. Others say He did. She's no longer in pain and is in heaven with Him. I should rejoice in that, but I want her here with me, healthy and happy like we were not too long ago. She loved life no matter how hard it could be. She was so full of life. Everyone who met her, fell in love with her spirit. Everyone thinks I'm grieving for my best friend so I'm sure they are like get over it. But, I'm grieving for the love of my life and I have to do it while pretending I'm doing OK. I'm so miserable. I talk to her every day and ask her for a sign that she is OK. That she is watching over me. That I will be OK. Nothing yet. Why? Why do I not dream of my sweet Lily? I miss her so much.

• Members

You were a wonderful, loving, caregiver. 

Probably the best book you could read right now is A Grief Observed, by C. S. Lewis.

It is impossible to know why God does or does not do things. There is no good explanation as to why bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. 

The one certain thing is that God will comfort you. 

• Moderators

I agree with Ace, both that you were a wonderful partner and also that A Grief Observed is a good book, and the comments he made about God.

The things you are grappling with are things I think we all have, the same feelings of wanting them to be here with us and it being hard to understand.  I never have learned a "why", not sure one exists.  It's easier for me to live with the thought that this is random not singled out by God, that'd be pretty hard for me to grapple with.

• Members

Lulu,  I am deeply sorry for the loss of your soulmate, Lily. I am sorry also that the love you two shared had to be kept on the more discreet side. Love is love. It chooses us and is not restricted by gender, age, etc. You are a loving partner and Lily could not have asked for a better person than you to be there at her side giving her the care she needed. Lily is in Heaven with God now, but she loves you even more and deeply appreciates the love and care you were giving her. God knows best and has His own individual plans for us. His was to take Lily home, our real home, Heaven.

Maybe, in time, when you feel it is right, you can find a grief counselor to share your story with and to help you through this grieving journey. If not, you have us here. This forum has been my life line, maybe it will become yours also. When family and friends don't really understand, know what to say, there is this safe place for you to land in. We are a big family with the common ground of losing someone special.God will love you, comfort and guide you as long as you let Him.  (HUGS)

• Members

Thank you all for your kind words. They mean a lot to me. I'm in so much pain from losing my sweet Lily. It was so hard seeing her go through her battle with cancer but it hurts so much knowing she wanted to live and fight but didn't stand a chance. I wish I could have done more for her. I told her every day how much I loved her and how much she meant to me. I know she loved me and I know she'd want me to be strong but I can't. We did everything together and I built my life around her. I didn't need other friends or family as long as I had her. We thought we had more years ahead and we had so many plans. Now I have nothing. I've tried spending time with my family to help provide some distraction but I'm so lonely and miss Lily. I think she would be texting or calling me to see how the family visit is going. I have  yet to cook a meal for myself. I just don't want to or care. I usually just grab something quick on my way home from work or warm up a can of soup. I come home and just go straight to my bedroom, change, and get in bed. I try to eat and drink water but I'm really just doing the minimum to get by. People just don't understand that how much and important Lily was in my life. She was my life. All I ever wanted to do was to make her happy and give her whatever gave her joy. That was my purpose in life. Now, I have nothing to look forward to. Just so much to dread, like holidays, birthdays and anniversaries. How I wish this was all a terrible dream and I could just wake up from it!

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Lulu said:

I know she'd want me to be strong but I can't.

You only have to do it today.  Then get up again tomorrow and do it all over again.  It helps to just do this day and not look at any larger frame of time.

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

You only have to do it today.  Then get up again tomorrow and do it all over again.  It helps to just do this day and not look at any larger frame of time.

I'm trying but some days, it's so hard. I feel like I'm living the life she deserved. I'm going to her church and the people have been so kind. These are her church family. They should be embracing her, not me. I had to go shopping for shoes for her service. I hate shopping for myself, she loved it. She should be shopping for shoes and clothes. I see so many pieces of clothing she would have loved. I haven't gone grocery shopping because I only did it before because we enjoyed cooking meals together. Now, I don't care. I feel so lonely even when surrounded by family. They don't get it and I can't explain to them my deep sorrow. Oh, how I wish Lily was here with me. It's a blessing to be able to express myself on this forum where others truly feel and understand what I am going through. 

• Members

Lulu, all of us here sympathize and understand. The grocery store is a big issue for many of us and the loneliness even in a group of friends is horrendous. 

• Members

Lulu, I ditto with AceBasin's post. It is a blessing that Lily's church family is embracing you. They love and care for you. We are all connected spiritually. Lily chose a good church family which shows her wisdom and strength of character. She would want you to continue living the life she deserved, because you deserve it also.

• Moderators

Lulu,

I hate shopping too, walmart.com is great, you don't have to drive through traffic, park, go all over the store, drive home, pack it all in the house.  If it wasn't for produce I'd probably never go to a store.

I'm glad Lily's church is there for you, they're like extended family, I hope you'll let them be that to you.

• Members
On 5/4/2017 at 6:45 PM, Francine said:

I'm so very sorry for your loss.  I've always loved the name, Lily; it reminded me a beautiful flower, and I bet that is what she was.  I know the pain you're experiencing; I lost the love of my life of nearly 45 years just about 5 months ago and I'm still having difficulty believing that he's gone.  I've never known anyone to have died of cancer but can only imagine how hard it must be to go through and equally hard to watch someone you love go through it.

Losing a loved one is probably the most painful and difficult experience for anyone to endure. In some ways, I think it is more painful when we lose a loved one than if personally are experiencing sickness and great pain.  When we lose someone so dear to us, there are so many different emotions that confront us. These emotions can run the gamut of human feelings. What could I have done to help more? Why did God do this? I should have said this or done that. How will I survive on my own? 

Realize that suffering is a part of life. I think when we face and embrace the pain of losing someone so dear to us, we can see more quickly the light at the end of the tunnel. We eventually learn that light "does shine" through the darkness and we will feel peace again someday.  By not "facing the pain of loss", we place ourselves in an "artificial place" trying to protect ourselves. I do not think there are shortcuts to avoid or minimize the pain we feel when we lose a loved one. 

You're correct - your life will never be the same; it will be different - because it is different. Different does not necessary mean grim, dreary, or bleak;-  just different.   The love you shared with Lily will always be with you; Lily's spirit will always be with you; the memories you made and shared together will always be with you.  You may not know it, but if you take another look, you'll see how blessed you truly are.  God designed a women specially for you, put her into your life; allowed you to share 20 years together; allowed you to share your love for one another; she loved you for the rest of her life.  Count your blessings, not your misfortunes.   What keeps me going is my trust in God - you see, I know I'm going to see my Charles again someday; and this time I won't ever have to worry of parting from him again. There is great comfort in the promise of an eternal heaven with him. 

My prayer is for God to shine HIS beautiful light through you, despite your suffering. HIS amazing unconditional love is beyond your comprehension. I pray that love, compassion, acceptance, and peace will blossom in you as HIS presence lights your soul.

I hope you continue to post here; there is a camaraderie you won't find elsewhere.  We genuinely care for each person's well being and will help one another get through this difficulty journey. 

Thank you. I read your comments again and they brought tears to my eyes because I truly feel you understand what I am feeling. Other's comments here also mean so much to me because they validate my feelings. In my world, life seems to keep going but I'm standing still. My life has stopped and everyone else seems to be happy while I'm so sad and lonely. I miss my Lily and I know life will never be the same. I look forward to being with her again. I no longer fear death as it will bring a reunion with the love of my life, my best friend, my soulmate, my sweet Lily. Until then, I have to take each day one at a time, but it's so difficult without her presence in my life. She truly was everything to me. 

• Members

Lulu, I do hope you have support with whom you can talk about your dear Lily.

One day at a time is the only way I'm surviving this hellish grief journey.  A shudder of anxiety travels through me and lands in my tummy when thoughts of the future sneak into my head. My brain can't say 'don't go there' quick enough to prevent the shudder, like it can with some other thoughts I'm able to halt in their tracks. 

Hugs Lulu. 

• Members
13 hours ago, M88 said:

Lulu, I do hope you have support with whom you can talk about your dear Lily.

One day at a time is the only way I'm surviving this hellish grief journey.  A shudder of anxiety travels through me and lands in my tummy when thoughts of the future sneak into my head. My brain can't say 'don't go there' quick enough to prevent the shudder, like it can with some other thoughts I'm able to halt in their tracks. 

Hugs Lulu. 

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone I can really talk to about my grief and loneliness. I've always been a loner and Lily was my whole world. I was closer to her than most of my family. Some of my family have been supportive but they don't get the full extent of my true loss. I feel like the few friends I have want me to move on and I feel like I am bothering them when I try to express my feelings. I mean what else can they say when they have not gone through what I am going through. They talk about close friends moving away. It's NOT the same! For now, I have resigned myself to suffer alone. This forum has been so comforting. It's the only place I can express my true feelings. Thank you for listening. You are all I have right now. 

• Members

Lulu, I'm sorry you have no one close enough to help be there to talk to. You do have us here. I hope that we can provide you what you need, a listening ear and understanding. No one should have to grieve alone. Our loss is sad enough, but to be alone is the worst.  Keep posting, someone is listening.  (HUGS)

• Members

Lulu, please allow us to be your best friends to help you through your grief.  Sharing our grief, like tears, is healing in itself.  As is telling our story.  As this is a public forum we do need to be aware of what we write, but you can always send a pm to someone you feel comfortable with. 

As KMB said, someone is listening. At any given time of the day or night there is usually one of us here. 

Sending strength, love and hugs.

• Moderators

Lulu,

We understand, we get it.  Lily wasn't just a friend, she was your life, the same as our spouse/partner was our life.  Come here any time day or night, with the different time zones, there's usually someone on line reading shortly.

• Members

Thank you for being here for me. I just can't get over feeling so alone, left behind, and hurting for my Lily. I also keep replaying the last couple of months hoping I could have done something different that would have prevented her from leaving me. I know nothing will change but I can't stop thinking about the what ifs. 

Something else that is troubling me is that I have e yet to dream of my Lily. She is no where in my dreams. I thought I would constantly be dreaming of her since I miss her so and yearn for our life together, so I don't know why I have not been able to see her in my dreams. There is no doubt of my love for her so why? Is this normal? Surely it isn't.

• Moderators

Lulu, I didn't dream of George for a year or two, it took a very long time, and I couldn't understand it.  We were each other's lives!  We were on each other's minds all the time, how could I not dream of him!  I don't know why, but it did come, I still don't dream of him much but he's on my mind all of the time when I'm awake.  I felt jealous of those who'd get a visit in a dream, but that sure wasn't my experience.

I'd have to say it's normal to, it's normal not to, it's something we have no control over and it is NO indicator of our great love for each other!

• Members

Lulu, All your thoughts and feelings are completely normal. We go through the what ifs,should haves and the whys. We are searching for the ways that would have changed the outcome. Nothing could have changed what happened. If something was meant to be different, God would have intervened. That burden of guilt we carry is a normal but unwanted feeling. Please, do not hang onto those feelings. The heartache of loss is enough, we do not need to keep beating ourselves up over what we had no control over.

You and Lily shared a great, soulmate love. That will never change. Love never dies. To dream or not to dream of Lily is also normal. When we are intensely grieving, it is hard to have any good dreams. Grieving has its own negative energy and our minds are filled with chaos. When you get further along in your journey, the good dreams will appear.

Hang in there, Lulu. God's blessings of love and strength to you.

• Members

You all are so wonderful! Thank you for confirming I'm not crazy for feeling the way I do. It's very reassuring to know others have or are still feeling the same kind of pain, loneliness and heartache after losing someone so special to our hearts and lives. Lily and I had built our lives around each other and we thought we had more years together ahead. I'm starting to have trouble looking at pictures of her now. She looks so happy and it hurts to know we never thought she'd be gone so soon! I miss her so much. I don't know how I can go on without her and be happy ever again.

• Members

I'm having a rough day today. I tell myself to stop rehashing the last few months and be happy that she is with God without worries and full of peace and love. I think I'm managing to get by and then the reality that she is not here hits me so hard. I feel selfish to want her here and then I feel guilty that I could possibly geton with my life without her, like I'm disrespecting how much she meant to me and my life. How do you all do it?! 

• Members

Lulu, Sorry you are having a rough day. They just never seem to end, but , in time, it does get easier to bare. It is weird, strange, how the mind operates. it is like it keeps hitting replay. I don't feel it is really selfishness to want our loved ones back. We miss them, the loneliness and empty void is hard to adapt to. I would love for my husband to be back, but I wouldn't want for him to still be suffering. As I"m sure you wouldn't want for Lily to still be suffering. You have no reason to feel guilty for eventually moving forward. We have this life to get through yet and moving forward is the only way to do that. Live your life for yourself and for Lily. She will be in your heart forever. That would be honoring her and showing her you still love her, even though you are separated by this world and Heaven. One day at a time.   (HUGS)

• Members
5 hours ago, Lulu said:

I'm having a rough day today. I tell myself to stop rehashing the last few months and be happy that she is with God without worries and full of peace and love. I think I'm managing to get by and then the reality that she is not here hits me so hard. I feel selfish to want her here and then I feel guilty that I could possibly geton with my life without her, like I'm disrespecting how much she meant to me and my life. How do you all do it?! 

Lulu, I'm sorry for your loss and this miserable reality you're in. 

As you know, there aren't any rules to this, your emotions are yours and yours alone. How you cope, accept, move "forward" and what all that looks like is for you to decide. Everyone is unique, thus our relationships are unique, therefore it stands to reason that how we cope with our grief will also be unique. If person "A" moves in this direction in 2 years, it's meaningless if person "B" goes in another direction in 6 months. It's your grief, your timetable, it's about you. Your relationship. 

Believe it or not, I feel guilty if I happen to laugh. I feel as if I have no right to laugh, my wife is gone. I also feel like if I laugh around people they'll think that "he must be okay, he's laughing and acting happy". I don't want people to think that, I want them to know I'm hurting. Sounds crazy? Yes, it may be, but it's how I FEEL, and that's what we struggle with most. How we feel, our emotions and what they might be doing to us. So you move in a direction and at a pace you feel comfortable with, no one else. This is a terrible place we've found ourselves in, we just do the best we can. 

Peace and comfort,

Andy

• Members

Hi Lulu, it seems we all experience those particular emotions.   We do it by putting one foot in front of the other each day because we have to rebuild our lives.  It is written in every grief book I've read, in thousands of articles on the net and in many postings on forums that it does get easier - so we live in hope! 

I often feel a slow build-up of emotions brewing and know I need to deal with an issue - sooner rather than later.  But they can hit suddenly too and set me off crying, with neither rhyme or reason.  It's a roller coaster ride and very mentally tiring.  I have far too many ongoing issues on which my brain wants to ruminate. 

Keep reading and posting.  

Sending strength, love and hugs

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Lulu said:

I feel selfish to want her here and then I feel guilty that I could possibly geton with my life without her, like I'm disrespecting how much she meant to me and my life. How do you all do it?! 

Lulu,

I wish I could find the article I read years ago, but it was before I started saving them.  I do remember the gyst of it though, it was on giving yourself PERMISSION to smile, to laugh again, to live again.  It is something we all must do.  What we need to understand is that our tears, our mourning does not hold us to our loved one, our love does, and that love continues.  Even as they continue to live, but in different form, we continue to live but also differently than we used to when they were physically here.  They would not want us forever sad, they would want us to do our best with this adjustment and I think that is what is meant by the term "moving on" that you hear grief specialists talk about, although I do not personally like or use the term because it sounds like we're leaving them behind and that we would never do.  The truth is, we carry them in our hearts, they are forever alive to us in our memories and they hold a huge place in our hearts that will never be vacated.

But we are of the physically alive world and must make our way through this somehow, so it is okay, more than okay, it is to be coveted, that we live, we laugh, we continue.  As we make our way through this grief journey, we learn to do our life in a different way, a way we can be okay with, a way that gives us good days and not only bad ones.  We embrace what IS and don't only lament what isn't, although we continue to do that as well.  There is nothing about our lives that is untouched, hence our "new normal" as our old normal, as we knew it, no longer exists.

You have nothing to feel guilty about, as KMB said, it is our worry we are walking away from them, but nothing is further from the truth...if anything we must find a way we can do our lives and make room for them in that new life.  Me, I still talk to George, I think of him constantly, he is the love of my life, my soulmate, my best friend, he always will be, and I continue to look forward to being with him again someday.  But that said, I do not want to miss what life has for me in the here and now either!  I have two grandchildren, two children, I have the groups I belong to, my routine/schedule, my sisters, my hobbies and interests, although I must say even finding interest in anything after such traumatic loss is very much a challenge.  The "want to" seemed to get up and "went"!  But once in a while it returns, even if only for a fleeting time, and that is to be embraced when it's here.

You are on the right path, continue on it, you are not disrespecting her, you are honoring her by continuing to live, for her, for you.

https://tinybuddha.com/blog/10-steps-to-find-yourself-again-after-loss/  (don't let the website name deter you, it has nothing to do with buddha)

• Members

Thank you all. It's my Sweetie's birthday, so I guess I'm taking it pretty hard. I always made sure to surprise her with something she had her eye on and it gave me such a wonderful feeling to see her respond with so much joy at receiving it.  I feel so lost without her. Part of why I feel so stuck is because I still have anger at her doctors and family. I don't understand how they could so easily just accept that nothing could be done for her and not even try to fight for her. I would have given my life for her. Unfortunately, decisions were taken from her and me. And now, I have to find a way to live a life I didn't want or expect.

• Members

Lulu, I'm so sorry you are having a rough time. You have every right to be angry. You have every right for all the  feelings you will be experiencing. Life pulled the rug out from underneath you and took away your happiness and purpose. Have you done something in honor of Lily's birthday? Light a candle for her, either at home or light a candle for her at church. We understand your feelings. We would have done anything to keep our loved ones with us if we could have.keep your faith in God for He is taking care of Lily now and He is taking care of you as well. (HUGS)

• Moderators

Lulu,

I hope you were able to read KMB's reply and do something to honor your Lily.  I know how hard the birthdays can be...

• Members
13 hours ago, KMB said:

Lulu, I'm so sorry you are having a rough time. You have every right to be angry. You have every right for all the  feelings you will be experiencing. Life pulled the rug out from underneath you and took away your happiness and purpose. Have you done something in honor of Lily's birthday? Light a candle for her, either at home or light a candle for her at church. We understand your feelings. We would have done anything to keep our loved ones with us if we could have.keep your faith in God for He is taking care of Lily now and He is taking care of you as well. (HUGS)

Yes, I visited her resting place at the cemetery. It's just so hard to reconcile every thing that has happened. I just can't believe she's gone. She was full of life and joy. Always happy and now it's just me, alone and sad. Why? There's no answer that makes sense and I can't seem to accept that. I'm not suicidal but sometimes I do think that death would stop my pain and confusion.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Lulu said:

I'm not suicidal but sometimes I do think that death would stop my pain and confusion.

I think a lot of us have been there in our thinking, but I've found it is in allowing ourselves to grieve and going straight through it and experiencing it, pain and all, that we get through this...in time we do adjust and the pain lessens, but we can't avoid grief, oh believe me, I would have found the way if it were there!

• Members
15 hours ago, Lulu said:

I'm not suicidal but sometimes I do think that death would stop my pain and confusion.

Just as KayC said, I feel we all had/have those kind of thoughts. We are in such a dark place in the beginning. We just want to be with our loved one so much. I was in the dark place all through the winter months. I did recognize it for what it was and I knew the winter months were going to be extremely hard for me to get through. I made it and you will too, Lulu. Facing the pain straight on, allowing yourself to feel all the emotions, all the crying, has to be experienced. Patience and time does help our mind and heart to absorb, adjust. Nothing about this grieving is easy. We will survive our journeys together through this forum.   (HUGS)

• Members
12 hours ago, KayC said:

I think a lot of us have been there in our thinking, but I've found it is in allowing ourselves to grieve and going straight through it and experiencing it, pain and all, that we get through this...in time we do adjust and the pain lessens, but we can't avoid grief, oh believe me, I would have found the way if it were there!

I cry every day. I go from telling myself she's no longer suffering and in pain. She wouldn't have wanted to be the way she was her final days, but then I think about how much she wanted to get better. How she optimistic and full of faith she was that she would make it. She was a fighter. I miss her so much. When I get to work, there's no one calling me to check on me, there's no mid afternoon call during lunch just to say hi, when I take my lunch break, there's no one for me to call and talk about what we want for dinner, when I get off work, there's no one calling me to say I'm on my way home and for me to say me too. There's no one waiting for me at home if I get off late, no one for me to come home to. There's just no one. That's my life now. I pray and read to help with the pain but it's still there. Maybe one day it will get better but I'm living through this now and it hurts like nothing I could have ever imagined. 

• Members

Sending you hugs, Lulu.  The intense hurt just sux.  I know it won't feel like it, but your loss will get a little easier to bear with time.  

This time last year I could never have imagined that I'd get 'used to' not sitting with hubby at the end of the day, having a drink whilst answering the questions on the quizz show on tv and during the adverts (we were competitive!) talking over the days events - but by some miracle I have.  I no longer have an interest in the quiz show so I sit reading the posts on this and another forum.  

Sending strength, love and hugs.X

• Members
29 minutes ago, M88 said:

Sending you hugs, Lulu.  The intense hurt just sux.  I know it won't feel like it, but your loss will get a little easier to bear with time.  

This time last year I could never have imagined that I'd get 'used to' not sitting with hubby at the end of the day, having a drink whilst answering the questions on the quizz show on tv and during the adverts (we were competitive!) talking over the days events - but by some miracle I have.  I no longer have an interest in the quiz show so I sit reading the posts on this and another forum.  

Sending strength, love and hugs.X

I'm glad you seem to be doing somewhat better and your pain has decreased some. Yesterday was a terrible day. I wonder if it's because I just celebrated what would have been her birthday. I also realized how alone I am. I have to carry two sets of keys now. Before, if I locked myself out of the car or house, I could call my Lily. She would drop everything and come help me, as I would for her. When sick, she'd go to the store for me and pick up some cold medicine or aspirin, she'd fix me a hot toddy. Now, I'll be doing that for myself. We lived out in the country, so if I needed my hair trimmed, she'd do it. She'd cook the best tasting spicy spaghetti! That's all gone now. I miss all the little things she'd do for me and the things I'd do for her. I tried to make sure she never wanted for anything. It all just hit me so hard, I cried so hard and cried out for my sweet Lily! Maybe one day, I'll be the one helping others on this forum. For now, I'm just trying to get through each day. Thank you for listening and reading. 

• Moderators

Lulu,

The things you describe are the way of grief, the feelings of there being no one now, it's very tough.  It takes time to build new friendships so we don't feel so alone, it's very tough, but I'm getting through it, one day at a time, you will too.  I know, it's a drastic adjustment!

• Members

Yes Lulu, birthdays are especially difficult days to endure.  And stat holidays.  All those little things are the fabric of a relationship and it sounds like you had a very loving one.  

I really miss our silly sayings and expressions.  And the way he said my name with his unique accent. I like to listen to his message on our answering machine in which he says both our names.  Also his voice on the videos he took of me with my cows. 

Sending strength and hugs X

• Members
13 hours ago, M88 said:

Yes Lulu, birthdays are especially difficult days to endure.  And stat holidays.  All those little things are the fabric of a relationship and it sounds like you had a very loving one.  

I really miss our silly sayings and expressions.  And the way he said my name with his unique accent. I like to listen to his message on our answering machine in which he says both our names.  Also his voice on the videos he took of me with my cows. 

Sending strength and hugs X

It's wonderful you still have his message on your answering machine. You'll never forget the sound of his beautiful voice! Unfortunately, I only have two short videos I recorded of her with my phone. I can't bear to look at them though. She was so optimistic in them and it breaks my heart. it's been six weeks and I guess the shock and denial are wearing off. The reality is hitting me and it's tougher than anything I have ever experienced.  I'm trying to rely on my faith but it's so hard. My emotions get the better of me. 

• Moderators

I wish I still had George's voice on my answering machine, but it erased everything, I didn't know it'd do that.  I have a different phone now, that one's long gone. :(  It's true though, we don't forget their voice.

Lulu,

The whole proceeding on faith is the way to go.  Our emotions will always be there to contend with, but it's our faith that carries us.

• Members
On 5/16/2017 at 6:02 AM, Lulu said:

I'm glad you seem to be doing somewhat better and your pain has decreased some. Yesterday was a terrible day. I wonder if it's because I just celebrated what would have been her birthday. I also realized how alone I am. I have to carry two sets of keys now. Before, if I locked myself out of the car or house, I could call my Lily. She would drop everything and come help me, as I would for her. When sick, she'd go to the store for me and pick up some cold medicine or aspirin, she'd fix me a hot toddy. Now, I'll be doing that for myself. We lived out in the country, so if I needed my hair trimmed, she'd do it. She'd cook the best tasting spicy spaghetti! That's all gone now. I miss all the little things she'd do for me and the things I'd do for her. I tried to make sure she never wanted for anything. It all just hit me so hard, I cried so hard and cried out for my sweet Lily! Maybe one day, I'll be the one helping others on this forum. For now, I'm just trying to get through each day. Thank you for listening and reading. 

Everything you are feeling is normal. Cry, scream, yell out for her. These things are part of the healing process. Your mind and body are going through things we aren't equipped for at first. There is no roadmap for how to cope with the sudden reality we are all plunged into. Sometimes I wonder what the neighbors are thinking when I cry and call out for Lori just hoping beyond hope that she answers me. I find myself hearing news from someone and thinking, "Lori's gonna get a kick out of this". Then I realize she's not here for me to tell. She'll never reach out on the couch to hold my hand for no particular reason. We'll never two-step in the living room without a song to be heard. We'll never spend 20 minutes deciding where to eat dinner. Those are the tough things for me so I know exactly what you are feeling. BUT. You still have those memories of those meals, those haircuts that seemed do mundane at the time. NOBODY can take the wonderful memories of the life you made together away. Hold on to them with your tightest grip and call on them when you get that rush of panic or you feel the darkness creeping in. On the way to work this morning I got to the point in the road where two lanes merged into one. It used to drive Lori crazy when people would try to force their way into her lane. I laughed when I got to that spot. It felt GOOD to feel that again even if it was fleeting. To remember something so trivial that now seems like the the greatest thing in the world. I am praying that you find peace and comfort in your walk.

• Members
6 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

Everything you are feeling is normal. Cry, scream, yell out for her. These things are part of the healing process. Your mind and body are going through things we aren't equipped for at first. There is no roadmap for how to cope with the sudden reality we are all plunged into. Sometimes I wonder what the neighbors are thinking when I cry and call out for Lori just hoping beyond hope that she answers me. I find myself hearing news from someone and thinking, "Lori's gonna get a kick out of this". Then I realize she's not here for me to tell. She'll never reach out on the couch to hold my hand for no particular reason. We'll never two-step in the living room without a song to be heard. We'll never spend 20 minutes deciding where to eat dinner. Those are the tough things for me so I know exactly what you are feeling. BUT. You still have those memories of those meals, those haircuts that seemed do mundane at the time. NOBODY can take the wonderful memories of the life you made together away. Hold on to them with your tightest grip and call on them when you get that rush of panic or you feel the darkness creeping in. On the way to work this morning I got to the point in the road where two lanes merged into one. It used to drive Lori crazy when people would try to force their way into her lane. I laughed when I got to that spot. It felt GOOD to feel that again even if it was fleeting. To remember something so trivial that now seems like the the greatest thing in the world. I am praying that you find peace and comfort in your walk.

Believe me, I have cried and cried. I've never been this emotional or cried like this before. She meant the world to me and I never thought I'd be in this position. Despite the diagnosis and then prognosis, we both had so much faith that she would make it. I've heard everything happens for a reason and maybe I'll find a new purpose in life. What is it, how if I have lost interest in all things. I've thought there is nothing I want that is worth losing my sweet Lily. Maybe I was too dependent or too attached and so now I have to learn to live without her. But, are we not supposed to find someone to love with all our being? A true and all consuming love that makes you unselfish in all things and actions? That's what we had so why was it taken away? I pray that God shows me the way moving forward. I don't see how else I can keep going. How do some of you manage to get through the long and lonely nights and weekends? 

• Members

I remember us being out and seeing a couple of elderly ladies, and we'd joke that's is in another 20 years. One pushing the other in a wheelchair or holding onto each other. We'd laugh and joke about who would be pushing who. How I wish that was possible.

• Members

Lulu, This is beyond tough, I get it. When my husband and I were out and about, seeing vehicles with elderly couples parked in the handicapped zones, seeing one spouse pushing another in a wheelchair, I would tease my husband that we'll be doing that someday. It is all hurtful remembering certain things that were joked/teased about. Those things are no longer endearing. Those things will never happen. Why some couples are blessed with long lives into the elderly years and the rest of us were not blessed, I'll never know.

I have no answer for the lonely nights and weekends. Loneliness is a personal hell. I used to go to bed early and cry my heart out. I still do when I hit a low spell. I stay up late on this forum sometimes or scoot around the internet reading grieving blogs or researching anything relative to the afterlife. Now that the weather is warming up, I spend my afternoons outside, puttering away on various yard chores. Haven't been able to do that the past couple of days due to rain. Trying to keep busy with anything is helpful. It has gotten easier for me to maintain focus on finishing something. When I started to make baby steps into the land of the living, I would start on something and have a meltdown. Go back and try it again the next day. The key is to be consistent in trying. We have to make the effort into developing new routines to replace the ones we can no longer maintain. What has been the hardest for me is pushing myself to get away from the house and maintaining some kind of interaction around people. I could very easily turn myself into a complete reclusive hermit. My husband was the more social of the two of us and i know he wouldn't wish for me to wither away here. He would wish for me to get out and have some kind of fulfilling life since he can no longer be here to do that himself.    (HUGS)

• Members
8 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

• Members
3 hours ago, KMB said:

Lulu, This is beyond tough, I get it. When my husband and I were out and about, seeing vehicles with elderly couples parked in the handicapped zones, seeing one spouse pushing another in a wheelchair, I would tease my husband that we'll be doing that someday. It is all hurtful remembering certain things that were joked/teased about. Those things are no longer endearing. Those things will never happen. Why some couples are blessed with long lives into the elderly years and the rest of us were not blessed, I'll never know.

I have no answer for the lonely nights and weekends. Loneliness is a personal hell. I used to go to bed early and cry my heart out. I still do when I hit a low spell. I stay up late on this forum sometimes or scoot around the internet reading grieving blogs or researching anything relative to the afterlife. Now that the weather is warming up, I spend my afternoons outside, puttering away on various yard chores. Haven't been able to do that the past couple of days due to rain. Trying to keep busy with anything is helpful. It has gotten easier for me to maintain focus on finishing something. When I started to make baby steps into the land of the living, I would start on something and have a meltdown. Go back and try it again the next day. The key is to be consistent in trying. We have to make the effort into developing new routines to replace the ones we can no longer maintain. What has been the hardest for me is pushing myself to get away from the house and maintaining some kind of interaction around people. I could very easily turn myself into a complete reclusive hermit. My husband was the more social of the two of us and i know he wouldn't wish for me to wither away here. He would wish for me to get out and have some kind of fulfilling life since he can no longer be here to do that himself.    (HUGS)

You're right. Those little things we'd joke and tease each other about are no longer endearing. They're painful to think about because we'll never experience them. I used to think about how we each would look as little old ladies. If I make it that long now, I'll be the one aging, not her. She worked hard all her life and was looking forward to retire, early but she wanted to take it easy after her initial diagnosis. I feel like she was cheated of enjoying herself and no longer dealing with the stress of work. 

When I get home from work, I go straight to my room, change and get into bed. I cry. I read. I think about my Lily. All until I fall asleep. I've been reading a book titled Imagine Heaven: Near Death Experiences. It's been very comforting at times. It makes me look forward to being with her again someday and has helped me to believe that she is happy and in peace, enveloped by God's grace and love. I still look forward to getting a sign from her or a dream of her. I love you, my sweet girl.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Lulu said:

I remember us being out and seeing a couple of elderly ladies, and we'd joke that's is in another 20 years. One pushing the other in a wheelchair or holding onto each other. We'd laugh and joke about who would be pushing who. How I wish that was possible.

That was us too, we looked forward to growing old together, just an old couple holding hands...

• Members

Lulu, I think we all feel cheated in losing our loved one and we feel they were cheated also. Those are just feelings though that go with grieving. God has a plan for each of us and our loved ones fulfilled His plan and graduated to Heaven sooner than us. When we fulfill His plan for us, then we will graduate also and be reunited with our loved ones.

I know words themselves do not help much, but we have to have faith and trust in God because He knows what is best for us as individuals. I have also read books on NDE's. They do bring a measure of comfort that our loved ones are indeed happy, peaceful, surrounded by God's love. I do believe Heaven is our real home and this life here is just an experience to learn the lessons God needs for us to learn for our souls growth for eternal life.   (HUGS)

• Members
On 5/18/2017 at 2:38 PM, KMB said:

Lulu, I think we all feel cheated in losing our loved one and we feel they were cheated also. Those are just feelings though that go with grieving. God has a plan for each of us and our loved ones fulfilled His plan and graduated to Heaven sooner than us. When we fulfill His plan for us, then we will graduate also and be reunited with our loved ones.

I know words themselves do not help much, but we have to have faith and trust in God because He knows what is best for us as individuals. I have also read books on NDE's. They do bring a measure of comfort that our loved ones are indeed happy, peaceful, surrounded by God's love. I do believe Heaven is our real home and this life here is just an experience to learn the lessons God needs for us to learn for our souls growth for eternal life.   (HUGS)

This is what keeps me going. Knowing my sweet Lily is in Heaven with God and her sweet mama. I know she's happy and in peace surrounded by God's grace and love. But, I have so many emotions that keep bubbling back up. I cry every day, I still sometimes can't believe she's gone, and I think about why she had to go through such pain. She was so sweet and generous. She has so much joy and love for people, friends and strangers. She gave and have and never had a bad word to say about anyone. How can a wonderful person like her not get the healing we so prayed for each and every day? I feel so lonely. Even more so when around others who are happy in their lives. I know life goes on but my life has not. I get angry and resentful that they are enjoying life when my sweet Lily is gone and I'm miserable. I pray God helps me to find purpose in my life again.

Archived