Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Freaking out

JustMe840

• Members
JustMe840

I can't sleep. To make a really long story short,  Bill passed away 8 months ago. Three months or so ago my niece stole HIS cell phone for drug money. I found out who has it but the jerk wanted me to BUY it back (hell no, it's mine already ) and the police won't do anything about it because he lives in a different town. So, two weeks ago I dropped MY phone into 3 inches of diesel fuel. I thought it'd be ok because it still worked. Last Wed. it died and I had to get a new one. My problem is, I have to send back my phone because they replaced it. I now have NONE of the messages etc. we shared for the last 2 years of our life together! NOTHING!! How in the heck am I supposed to handle that?! All of the joking back and forth, teasing, harassing, I love you's, I miss you, look what i saw today.......Gone.....I can't stand it. I know you all understand what it means to me and I had to get it off my chest. No one I'm close to has lost a spouse so they don't get it. I'm not sure how to not let this make me crazy. .it feels like I'm losing him all over again. </3 :-(

• Members

There may be some tech experts on this board. If you post the brand, model, and year of the phone someone may be able to suggest how to recover data from a broken phone prior to sending it back. 

As to the other phone, the police in the different town may assist. I would offer to provide them with the cash the person trying to sell the stolen property wanted, have one of their detectives say they were you, and have him arrested. His fingerprints and DNA may at least interest them. 

• Members
JustMe840

Thank you AceBasin. The problem is, the screen doesn't work so I can't turn on the debugging that's required to retrieve messages. I can see files on my computer but none of them let me into messages. The folks at At&T couldn't help me either. I'm out of time, I have to send it back within 10 days. As for the stolen phone, I gave them the person's name, known address in our town and place of employment in our town. They just don't care and I can only deal with so much at a time. He has probably deleted all of it anyway. 

• Members

Just a quick search indicated that there is third party software as well as many YouTube videos on how to recover data from a broken phone including a broken screen. The data may be stored in a non damaged location. Often moving your old SIM card to a working phone may help. I am not an expert in this area but I am sure some on this forum have teenage children that are. I hope you recover the data.

• Members

JustMe840, I am sorry about your husband's phone being stolen. We know how vital the messages,etc can be for our well being during this time. i am sorry about what happened to your phone as well. Maybe the cellphone company will give you an extension on returning it until you can maybe find a way of retrieving your info? Doesn't hurt to ask them about the extension, they should be understanding of the situation. I'm not a tech expert. I wish I could help you. Good luck and God Bless.

• Moderators

JustMe,

I'm so sorry.  I lost all of George's messages a couple weeks after he died, I didn't know they'd erase them.  I felt just like you at the time, like I was losing him all over again.  I hope you can find someone who can recover some of the messages.  It's against the law to sell stolen goods so I don't understand why the police wouldn't do anything.  Why do we have laws if no one does anything when they're broken?!  Good luck to you!

Archived