Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How long does the worst of grief usually last?

BrookeM

• Members

I lost my dad less than 2 weeks ago very unexpectedly. I've had terrible anxiety and panic disorder since I was 7, and have been on Zoloft since I was 11. It has always helped me a lot, but after this, I can't seem to quit having panic attacks and having constant anxiety. I have so so many unwanted, fearful, intrusive thoughts. Everything just seems so overwhelming and unbearable. I'm just so terrified of everything and nothing makes sense anymore. I'm having thoughts like "why are we all just happily living waiting to die?" And I know that I certainly would die if something ever happened to my mom. People are like "no you won't, it just feels that way." But they don't know me, they don't know how I feel. She is and has always been my entire life. She's what's helping me get through this. Since I'm already on 100mg of Zoloft and am trying to prevent seeing a therapist, as I talk everything I'm feeling over with my mom and I try to look up self-help things online or in books, and considering my anxiety was well under control before this happened, do you think time will help me? Has anyone else suffered anxiety or worsening of it due to grief? What helped you? How long did it take?

I suppose the main question, is how long does the worst of grieving last? I know it's different for everyone and there's no set time, and you never "get over" it, you just accept it and move on, but in general terms, how long does the worst of it usually last? Thank everyone for their answers. 

• Members

Dear Brooke,

My deepest condolences and sympathies on the passing of your father. I'm so sorry for your pain and sorrow.

I asked myself the same question after my dad's death 6 months ago. The shock of losing a parent takes a long time. It seems the worst of it can take a year to work out. I've talked to friends and family and it really varies. Some say around 8 months the fog starts to lift. For myself, I am still very tearful about my dad.

I have tried various things to try and cope with my loss. I have found writing on this forum has helped me connect with others. I am so grateful for their support. I have also tried counselling, grief support group, journaling, reading recovery books and visiting different websites for inspiration.

Please know you are not alone. Thinking of you.

Archived