Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

We would have been married for a year today....

Steve Cavanaugh

• Members
Steve Cavanaugh

Hi guys. My fiancee passed away last year in February and our wedding date was April 29. 

Today, we would have been married for a year... It just breaks my heart so much..

I have been doing pretty okay these past few months but today is just terrible. My mind keeps wandering to what could have been.

would we have gone to our favourite restaurant or would we have just watched a movie? And what makes it worse is last year when we were talking about our one-year anniversary, sophia joked, "If i can survive with you till our first wedding anniversary, i will treat you to a holiday in spain." Hell, we could have been in Spain.

i don't know what to do.. I am a wreck.. Today especially.

i am not able to breathe.. Please help me!

• Members

I know the feeling when it's hard to breathe and it feels overwhelming. I think I'm reliving the longest night in the world myself. All I can say is try... one moment to the next..sometimes it's an accomplishment in itself knowing we have made it through the night

• Members

I am so sorry - anniversaries are so hard - I just celebrated mine on April 15 of this year.    i didn't want to do it solo.  My mind was convinced that it would be a gloom/doom day, a day that would be horrible, sad and full of tears and I didn't look forward to it at all.  After visiting my grief counselor (who by the way is a god-send) and my telling him of the disappointing day I had envision, he suggested that I turn it around and make it a celebration - a celebration of 45 wonderful years together.   That never crossed my mind and I did; it turned out to be an *OK* day after all.  The family and I celebrated at his gravesite and then at his favorite restaurant the loved we shared for one another and our children.  He may not have been there physically, but I know his spirit was there.  I had several tsunami moments during the day and again, that was OK.  

I know the time you spent together was not long, but it appeared you loved a lifetime.  That's a love for the ages, that kind of true love never dies.  True love is when you touch someone with your spirit and in return they touch your soul with your heart.   Your love never dies - it only gets stronger.  I know it's hard, and you will survive, somehow, someway.  My prayer is for God to give you the strength to make it through this day especially, and the days to follow.   Stay Strong and God bless

• Members

Steve Cavanaugh and Wt1---- Francine wrote words better than I could have. My prayers of comfort to you both. The *firsts*, those special days signifying what could have been, are hard to endure. Every day we manage to put behind us is a huge accomplishment.

• Moderators

Thinking of you today...

It's hard, we not only lose them but lose our hopes and dreams, those secondary losses can be really tough.  I'm really sorry.  Everyone handles it different, some choose to do what they would do if they were here, some choose to ignore it, some put messages in balloons and release them...whatever you do, I hope it brings you some comfort.

Archived