Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The loss of my childhood cat is the most painful thing I have ever experienced

Bobo

• Members

Just over a month ago, I lost my precious Bobo. My parents and I got him when I was only around 9 years old, and he was my best friend ever since. He passed away right before his 12th birthday.

He had such a personality. He would talk to me all the time, and come into my room and yell at me if he wasn’t getting enough attention. Eventually, I moved out to go to college, but every time I visited home he would get so excited. He would roll around on the floor and refuse to leave me alone. He was never the most social cat, but I had such a bond with him. He was a very shy kitten and was reluctant to even approach me, but one day I was crying in my bed and he jumped up and licked my face. I suffer from social anxiety, and one of the only things that made me feel better was spending time with him, even if he only wanted to sit in the same room with me. I would talk to him as if he was a person, and he was always there for me through the hard times.

Around 6 months ago, the vet gave us the news that Bobo was going through kidney failure. He was doing very badly when we took him there, but through intensive care, he was able to recover enough for the vet to give us a prognosis of around 2 years. Since then, my mother and I took turns taking him to the vet each week for his IV fluid treatment. Only a day before his death, he declined rapidly. He stopped eating and drinking and started crying, and found a quiet place in my old bedroom to lay down. My parents, without me as I had moved out by this point, made the decision not to take him to the vet, and instead let him die in peace in his home.

It’s been over a month and I’m still distraught. I feel horribly depressed about his passing, especially because of the guilt I feel for not being there for him as he passed. I was only able to visit home around once a month, and I wish more than anything that my parents would have called me and let me know that he wasn’t doing well. I would have immediately made the 2-hour drive.

I feel like I will never stop grieving my Bobo. I wake up every morning hoping that everything that happened was a horrible nightmare, or that a higher power out there in the universe heard my wishes for him to be alive again so I could at least say goodbye properly. I feel completely empty and almost guilty that it’s still hurting me so much. I feel like everyone in my life thinks I’m taking this too hard and like I should just get over it, but I can’t.

Bobo.jpg

Bobo2.jpg

• Members
I miss my girld

Bobo was really pretty. I'm sorry you didn't get to say goodbye, but you must know that it's not your fault no one told you he was about to die. And even though you didn't get to be there, I'm sure it was a comfort to him to be at home and with your parents. I don't think the death of a loved one is something anyone "gets over", so you can just go ahead and ignore anyone who seems to think it is. 

• Moderators

Bobo is beautiful!  I agree with what I miss my girld said, ditto!

11 hours ago, I miss my girld said:

Bobo was really pretty. I'm sorry you didn't get to say goodbye, but you must know that it's not your fault no one told you he was about to die. And even though you didn't get to be there, I'm sure it was a comfort to him to be at home and with your parents. I don't think the death of a loved one is something anyone "gets over", so you can just go ahead and ignore anyone who seems to think it is. 

• Members
Mamaslittleprincess

Dear,

i am really sorry for your loss, no words will help you at this difficult time. I feel your pain, we have a little cat and she means the world to us, just like how you've described, she looks after us, drags me to play with her and is just a little joker. I love her like my sister, daughter if i ever had one, only thing is that these little creatures don't ask for much! 

Your Bobo is gorgeous! Perhaps you were it meant to be there, she didn't want to cause you pain, she knew that it'd hurt you more if you had seen her go. You know she did pretty well despite her kidney failure, I lost my young mother with a sudden multi organ failure, her kidneys were the first to go and her body rejected dialysis, she passed within three days in hospital and believe me, I didn't know what a real tragedy was until this happened! It's been six months now and life has changed, I have some really bitter days and my life has just come to pieces. But, we will never forget the ones we loved and they will be with us till the last breath, maybe you will meet your cat again in some other shape or form? I can't wait for the day to see my mum again and say sorry for not being able to save her, for being nasty to her countless times, to say that she is the most wonderful mum and she didn't deserve a horrible kid like me... you know we live with guilt and our brain remembers the negatives more than the positives.

try to remember her fondly and why not adopt a cat? She is with you in soul.. you'll meet her again.

take care and sending you a big hug and lots of love... 

• Members
On 4/24/2017 at 4:16 PM, Bobo said:

Just over a month ago, I lost my precious Bobo. My parents and I got him when I was only around 9 years old, and he was my best friend ever since. He passed away right before his 12th birthday.

He had such a personality. He would talk to me all the time, and come into my room and yell at me if he wasn’t getting enough attention. Eventually, I moved out to go to college, but every time I visited home he would get so excited. He would roll around on the floor and refuse to leave me alone. He was never the most social cat, but I had such a bond with him. He was a very shy kitten and was reluctant to even approach me, but one day I was crying in my bed and he jumped up and licked my face. I suffer from social anxiety, and one of the only things that made me feel better was spending time with him, even if he only wanted to sit in the same room with me. I would talk to him as if he was a person, and he was always there for me through the hard times.

Around 6 months ago, the vet gave us the news that Bobo was going through kidney failure. He was doing very badly when we took him there, but through intensive care, he was able to recover enough for the vet to give us a prognosis of around 2 years. Since then, my mother and I took turns taking him to the vet each week for his IV fluid treatment. Only a day before his death, he declined rapidly. He stopped eating and drinking and started crying, and found a quiet place in my old bedroom to lay down. My parents, without me as I had moved out by this point, made the decision not to take him to the vet, and instead let him die in peace in his home.

It’s been over a month and I’m still distraught. I feel horribly depressed about his passing, especially because of the guilt I feel for not being there for him as he passed. I was only able to visit home around once a month, and I wish more than anything that my parents would have called me and let me know that he wasn’t doing well. I would have immediately made the 2-hour drive.

I feel like I will never stop grieving my Bobo. I wake up every morning hoping that everything that happened was a horrible nightmare, or that a higher power out there in the universe heard my wishes for him to be alive again so I could at least say goodbye properly. I feel completely empty and almost guilty that it’s still hurting me so much. I feel like everyone in my life thinks I’m taking this too hard and like I should just get over it, but I can’t.

Bobo.jpg

Bobo2.jpg

• Members

Hi Bobo. I'm new on here so please forgive me if I do this incorrectly. 

Your cat was very beautiful. One can tell he had a personality.

Pets are often more loyal than are people. They don't have the selfish, complicated lives of humans. All they require is love and that their basic needs be met. I'd pour out my heart to my precious kitty too. I know how much you must miss your Bobo. It is a deep, aching hurt. You are not making a big deal out of your loss. The loss of anything we love IS a big deal. I feel the same way. I also have regrets. I regret what I didn't do or say. The more I ruminate, the worse it gets.

I don't have a sure- fire solution or magic cure for either one of us. Just know that you are not alone in your suffering or the way you feel. I hope God gives us the peace and healing we both need.

Archived