Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Meet Up Groups, Experience or Suggestions?

AceBasin

• Members

Does anyone have experience regarding Meet Up Groups for widowers, widows and those that have lost partners?

This is an example of one 100 miles or so from me that has 138 members: https://www.meetup.com/TheSoulSurvivors/Their website says: “We are Soul Survivors... women and men who have lost their spouse or significant other. We are all looking to enjoy life again, and to enjoy it with others.  Come join us; make new friends, find new interests, get back into living. Life is to be lived, not just endured!

Whether you are a new Soul Survivor or have been alone for awhile, meeting new friends who have experienced the same life-altering loss is something that will greatly benefit you. Our group will help you to feel good about living again. We help each other grow strong by enjoying each other, and having a good time socializing.

SOUL SURVIVORS is NOT a dating or couples group. If you should meet someone and begin dating, we ask that you attend our events as a "single." Attending as a couple defeats the purpose of coming to an event, and may make other members uncomfortable/sad. Remember, our group's purpose is to help each other deal with being alone. 
Please join using at least your first name and the initial of your last name.

My impression is that such groups serve a very useful purpose, but unless sponsored by a church or non-profit, may have a finite life as the organizers age, move to retirement communities or have other life changes.

On the other hand, if such groups are started every few years by energetic individuals determined to end some of the loneliness, they can be very helpful, and tailored to the interests of the current members.

Any experiences, thoughts or suggestions? I could easily sponsor such a group in my area and pay for costs of facilities and refreshments until it became self -sustaining. 

PS: Pasting a note with a link to this site is frustrating. Only the link will copy and paste 

• Members

AceBasin, There are good concepts for having meet up groups. I can see the benefits for getting a step up into reintegrating back into socializing, making new friends. I wish you well if you are contemplating starting one up in your area.

Archived